Turning on refrigerator and using the microwave on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boaterkathy

We have the motorhome in our driveway, but turned off the refrigerator, because the driveway is on a slant.  Since we aren't level, do we need to wait till we leave to turn on the refrigerator?  I would like to have had it on for a little while before we put the cold stuff in it, but since it isn't level, we can't do that, right?
Will it cool down pretty fast once we are on the way?  Everything we put in it should be cold to start with.

Another question.......if we turn on the generator while we are driving, we should be able to use the microwave, right?? ???  Sorry if that's a really dumb question.  ::)     

I wouldn't recommend turning on the fridge without being close to level.  Yes you can use your Genset to power the microwave.  Probably not a good idea to move around the coach doing cooking etc while in motion.  Better idea is to pull over cook, have lunch, and enjoy the break from driving.

Thanks, Ron.  Ya, I figured the fridge question would be pushing it.  Just wishing.  We are going to have to get something made so that we can level the RV in the driveway.
I suppose it isn't a good idea either about using the microwave on the road.  I was just thinking about popping some frozen breakfast sandwiches in.

Thanks for your reply!

Ditto what Ron said.  It'd perfectly fine to use your microwave going down the road with the genset running as long as you are in your chair with the seatbelt securely fastened! ;) :D

Is your driveway so slanted that it's impossible to get your RV reasonably close to level? Usually, we turn on our reefer our least 12 hrs before loading it up and never load it and drive off without it being precooled. You can aid the precooling by using ice, cool packs and possibly get it cool enough to pack the food, light the reefer and drive off but as soon as you open the doors to load most of that cool air with the reefer off will disappear.

Our coach has a northcold electric cooler in the basement that works with 12 volts and with regular electric. and it only takes about half to a hour to cool down enough to put frozen stuff in it and it works as a regular fridge also since it has a dial to change the temp. This could be a cheaper choice than retrofitting your driveway or coach.

Go, www.thetford.com and go to the norcold section an click on the  A/C-D/C Portable Refrigerator. You might like what you see.

Bruce, the driveway drops 6+ inches, I think.  Never worried about not having a flat driveway before!!  ::)  Maybe after supper we will see if we can get it leveled. (the rv, not the driveway!  ::) ;))  Sure would be nice to have the fridge cold before we go!

boaterkathy said:
Bruce, the driveway drops 6+ inches, I think.  Never worried about not having a flat driveway before!!  ::)  Maybe after supper we will see if we can get it leveled. (the rv, not the driveway!  ::) ;))  Sure would be nice to have the fridge cold before we go!

RV fridge mfrs state that level does not have to be exactly level.   Anything up thru 6? side-to-side, and 3? fore-and-aft is OK.   3? equals 6 inches in 10 feet,  12 inches in 20 feet, and 60 inches in 100 feet.    Measure the level of your motorhome,  you may find that you are within the allowable 3?.

If you are just outside the limit, blocking up the downhill wheels may gain you enough to fall under 3?.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Carl,

Just to clarify, that is 6o side-to-side, and 3o fore-and-aft of the refrigerator NOT the motorhome. Is that correct?

Unless it is an older unit.  I believe the older units are more sensitive.

Ron said:
Unless it is an older unit.  I believe the older units are more sensitive.

Ron,

You misunderstood my question. The question I'm trying to clarify is that fore-and-aft on the refrigerator is side-to-side on the motorhome and side-to-side on the refrigerator is front-to-rear on the refrigerator.

Is that correct?

Just because I am a newbie...Why does the coach have to be close to level to use the fridge? Is it because of the ice maker?

hambone303 said:
Just because I am a newbie...Why does the coach have to be close to level to use the fridge? Is it because of the ice maker?

The leveling is because of the way propane powered refrigerators work. They cool by heating up ammonia in a coil and having the liquid flow absorb the heat from the refrigerator. If the refrigerator is too far out of level, the ammonia doesn't flow properly in the coil and that can cause a problem.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Ron,

You misunderstood my question. The question I'm trying to clarify is that fore-and-aft on the refrigerator is side-to-side on the motorhome and side-to-side on the refrigerator is front-to-rear on the refrigerator.

Is that correct?

The way I understand it you are correct.  Looking at the coils the refer is more critical side to side of the MH (front to back of the refridgerator) and less critical forward to aft of the MH (side to side of the refridgerator) due to the longer slope of the coils.

What if it is not being powered by prpopane? I assume the same applies because of the ammonia in the coils?  Just curious, I will have to research refrigeration when I get some time.

The only difference between propane and electric operation is the heat source.  The actual cooling is the same so the same restrictions apply.  Technically it's an absorption refrigerator when you do your research.  You might want to start with this article on WikiPedia.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Carl,

Just to clarify, that is 6o side-to-side, and 3o fore-and-aft of the refrigerator NOT the motorhome. Is that correct?

No.  Fore-and-aft of the RV, not the reefer.

Fore-and-aft of the RV, not the reefer.

My Norcold manual says 3 degree side-to-side and 6 degree for-and-aft and states  "as looking at the front of the refrigerator". That means to me that side-to-side on the fridge is actually for-and aft in the RV (unless your fridge is mounted at the end of the RV rather than a side. But I see that Carl has reversed the 3 and 6 degree figures, so the way he presented it would mean on the RV rather than the fridge. I'm sure he was trying to make it simple, but if you read the manual you get confused again.  :mad:

I use one of those circular levels. Half a bubble in the center ring is supposed to be ok to operate the fridge. Darned if I can remember where I got that from but that's what I've been using and it's a real fast reference.
Another thing I do is put frozen freezer packs in when I first turn it on, sure decreases the cool down time.

Cheers
Willis

Back
Top Bottom