TV ANTENNA REPLACEMENT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khammit

After I replace the toilet, furnace blower motor and possibly the water heater; I would like to massively upgrade the roof antenna. I do not watch TV really at all but some friends gave me an indoor antenna. I saw that I could get a lot more channels if I had the antenna for it. It would be nice to have on occasion. Whatever I had on the roof is stock and doesn't lift up anymore. I would have our local amazing mobile RV tech guy install whatever I go with.

Soliciting advice/input/opinions. Thanks in advance!

Sadly there is no single answer,  But .. Thankfully there are only two

The best antenna for MOST campgrounds is the Winegard Sensar IV with the Sensar PRO indoor module instad of the more common wall plate (or in front of the box of many buttons).

This antenna has the longest range and higest gain of any RV antenna made.. HOWEVER..  Though it can see towers a long way off, it has a fairly narrow field of vision.

The JACK antenna, is not nearly as powerful.  Long range reception is not as good, BUT if towers are more "Scattered around you" It has a much wider field of vision.

My Recommendation is teh Winegard Sensar IV with Sensar Pro.    I run a Sensar II + Wingman (WHich is right close to the IV) and a Sensar Pro myself.

My sensar IV had a run in with a tree branch and the bracket broke. Installed one of the new rayzar air antennas and am very pleased with it' s HD reception. Go to Winegard's website. They have videos about the new antenna. Easy install.

richconn said:
My sensar IV had a run in with a tree branch and the bracket broke. Installed one of the new rayzar air antennas and am very pleased with it' s HD reception. Go to Winegard's website. They have videos about the new antenna. Easy install.

Me too ... X2

Howard

x3, we replaced our winegard batwing with all upgrades with the new razor head and returned to the same campground and same site and noticed significant improvement in reception. replacement head is easy to change and worth the money.

Question for those of you who have compared Batwing to Razor.

How far away are the towers?  (or just give your precise location and I'll let my apps figure it out.)

khammit said:
Whatever I had on the roof is stock and doesn't lift up anymore.

They are a simple system. Climb up and look. Are the gears still working? If not, they are readily available. Lube any joints and work it in by hand lifting. Check the coax.

The stock Winngard on mine gets me enough TV most of the time to suffice. You'll need a digital TV.

Clovis, NM picked up Amarillo, Tx. I think they have a translator, though. I don't think it picks up that much better than the batwing. You just don't have to point it. It receives from both directions at the same time. The signal did seem more stable.

we are now trying to decide on a replacement antenna, lots of good information here....thanks!

Great thread as i am getting ready yo redo the roof next month.  My plan is to get rid of the roof tv antenna and radio antenna.  2 less spots to leak.  The tv i dont get much for channels anyway in the state parks that i go to and dont watch anyway.  the kid like to watch a video every now and then before bed and usually does with a dvd.  The places we go with friends who have kids that are set up for that have cable.
What i am thinking is a small digital antenna that i can just plug in when needed and store when not.  anyone else do this?

Did a bat-wing replacement with one of these.
http://www.jacktv4free.com/products_rv.html

Mine did not want to go up/down but could turn.
I raised it Cut it off so it would be a little higher than
the A/C but not over 11' so I would bit have bridge problems.
Bolted the two arms together and added the Jack antenna.
No problem with it being up and at that height all the time.

Works good if there is a signal around.

The Rayzar Air does not have the same range as the Sensar IV or the Sensar III w/Wingman, although it does have a wider "view" angle, along with being bi-directional. The Rayzar Air is also limited in that it does not pick up the VHF-Lo channels (2-6) very well. There are 300 plus stations still on VHF-Lo, including network stations like NBC in Las Vegas that broadcasts on channel 2 or CBS in the Albany, NY market on channel 6. All in all, unless you only stay in a few parks where you know the reception is good, the Sensar IV (or III w/Wingman) is the better choice. The Sensar Pro signal level indicator and amplifier is good add-on for either antenna.

Back
Top Bottom