TV sound is too low when using the DVR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travelingsages

I have a 2007 Suncruiser with the eye level entertainment system. It came with a Memorex DVD player. When I play a DVD movie the TV sound is so low that I oftentimes have to turn the TV sound up to the maximum level in order to hear it. I have also turned the volume up on the DVD player. There is a huge difference in volume settings between the DVD and the regular TV. I am wondering if it would help if I replaced the speaker wires with heavier gauge wires. Would this help? Do I need a different DVD player? By the way, I have the old Sony Wega tube type TV. I hate to spend the money to replace the TV at this time with a HD LCD set. I have a Motosat dish that has a bird-on-the-wire DirecTV satellite TV connection. This is not HD and would cost me more to get the HD signal and then I would need a second dish for the Motosat Internet. Anyway, what can I do to improve the sound levels with the existing system?

travelingsages said:
I have a 2007 Suncruiser with the eye level entertainment system. It came with a Memorex DVD player. When I play a DVD movie the TV sound is so low that I oftentimes have to turn the TV sound up to the maximum level in order to hear it. I have also turned the volume up on the DVD player. There is a huge difference in volume settings between the DVD and the regular TV. I am wondering if it would help if I replaced the speaker wires with heavier gauge wires. Would this help?

Nope, bigger gauge wires would not help. Exactly how do you have your DVD player hooked up to the TV?

Do I need a different DVD player? By the way, I have the old Sony Wega tube type TV. I hate to spend the money to replace the TV at this time with a HD LCD set. I have a Motosat dish that has a bird-on-the-wire DirecTV satellite TV connection. This is not HD and would cost me more to get the HD signal and then I would need a second dish for the Motosat Internet. Anyway, what can I do to improve the sound levels with the existing system?
I don't think a different DVD player will solve your problem, I don't think the system is wired correctly.

Some TV's have individual volume adjustments within the menu/setup functions used to balance volume levels between different video inputs (TV, DVD, etc.).  It is commonly called "volume range", but could be most anything.  You might check that out.  As for upgrading your TV to a flat screen, it is not necessary to upgrade Motosat to HD just because the TV is HD capable.  It should display standard TV & video signals just fine - just not in HD.

Check if there is a "noise suppressor" between the 2 devices...I had same problem in my Ellipse but found a noise suppressor behind the tv .....after I threw it out sound was perfect.

So the DVD player is separate from the TV? Does this mean the DVD player is a stand alone DVD player or is it part of a surround sound system?

The DVD player is a physically separate unit but is also part of the surround system. You need to make changes in the DVD box to make the surround system work. Having said that, the TV sound goes through this box even when it is turned off. I use it this way all the time because I don't like having to use a separate remote to adjust the sound level.

This is way too unlogical for me to figure out what is going on. It is obvious that something is hooked up wrong. If it were my RV I would photograph all the connections between the TV, the DVD player and the surround sound and I would draw a diagram of how it is all hooked up. Then I would remove all the wires and start over from scratch and rewire it. There should be a manual to show you how it is suppose to be hooked up.

Yes, that is why I have put up with the problem for all these years. There is a lot happening. The signal passes through the DVD/surround system or goes through it when it is turned on and set properly. The TV is a huge and heavy tube unit and I cannot get to the back of it without taking it out of the cabinet. I have just avoided the issue but it sure annoys me. Frankly, I was hoping someone had either had this problem and would know the solution or would have told me that the wires were too light for the signal and that rewiring it with heavier wires would do the trick.

Bigger wires won't solve your problem.

The video signal from your DVD player should go directly to the TV. The audio signal should go directly to the surround sound. I don't know why the "signal" would be passing through the DVD/surround system. The best advice I can give you is to replace the TV with an LCD and then make sure it is wired correctly.

I doubt that it's the same, but I had something similar happen to me last week with a DVD player.  I had considerably higher volume on background music, etc. than I did on voices.  I had to go to the setup screen on the on the player and fiddle with all the audio settings.  One change worked and all was fine with the world. 

Again, probably not your situation, but tossing it out there just in case it helps.

Check page 11 of your Winnie audio/visual wiring diagram - they show a ground loop filter between the DVD audio out and the TV audio input.  Remove the filter and see what happens (good thing to try Five2o!)  You can also try changing the audio from input #4 to #2 (or another one if that's not exactly your TV depicted in the wiring diagram.)

I'll bet once you remove the in-line filter, your sound will be louder.

Back
Top Bottom