TV tire pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carney3

Today I had new tires mounted on my truck. A small twig pierced the sidewall of one of the 20" Wrangler. It is unreal how then those sidewalls are on these tires. I ordered an extra load tire to get thicker sidewalls. The guy at the tire shop said when towing I shoud put 50psi in the rear tires and 42 psi in the front tires? They are same size tire as the original except these are labeled as "Extra Load." Probably just another phrase for extra money. Any input would be appreciated.

You need to weigh the TV and set the pressure for the weight the tire actually carries, using the tire manufacture's load tables as a guide.  Without tire make and model and the weight (or axle GAWR, if you want to go for max load), it is impossible to guess what the right pressure may be.

Tire jockeys are rarely correct on this sort of thing - they use a one size fits all methodology.

Gary's right, you may need to go to the tire's max allowed pressure to safely handle the weight of the loaded trailer.  Depending on the tongue weight of the trailer, 50# may be too much.  Weight first is the best option, then air up as required to handle the load.  A properly inflated tire handles heat much better than a low one.  Also, a TPMS for your trailer is a great peace of mind.  I blew 2 tires on a 5ver that I had, each cost me some serious money to repair the damage.  If I had known that the tire was leaking down, I could have saved myself a lot of headache.

Sarge

Thanks for the replies. GAWR rear is 3997 and 3697 front. Tongueweight of trailer loaded with gear is 1068# Total weight of trailer loaded ready to go is 8865. Truck tires are Lexani XL 275/60/R20. Tow with WD hitch W/10000# bars. Placard on door of truck states 35# psi I take that as being for original tires. I hope these give some insight. Thanks.

This is a little confusing. You don't identify truck year and model. Lexani seems to sell high performance car tires not a truck tires ?  (The XL stands for reinforced sidewall) Also 20 inch wheels would seem to be more for dress than load carrying. They do say on their web site in very small print that if tires are used on light truck the maximum capacities stated are reduced.  I would have thought a more appropriate tire would have had nomenclature like LT235/85R16 The LT being light truck.

I agree with Leo, you should be looking at LT service rated tires, not P rated.  LT tires have the load ratings and sidewall strength you need for towing.

Back
Top Bottom