twin axle front rigs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keith g

why are there no affordable twin front axle rigs?
it makes sense purely from a safety point of view due to better braking.......especially as weight transfers forward under braking.
and front wheel blow outs........it would definitely save lives....

Don't believe I have ever seen one, do you know of any examples. Would love to see one of any type.

Why?  Same reason you rarely see class 8 trucks with dual front axles on the highways.  Most have sufficient load carrying capacity using a single axle.  Besides dual steering axles complicates turning, handling immensely.

Why not encase all vehicles in a balloon filled with smaller balloons??? there has to be a point of common sense. Risk cannot be totally illuminated from all things.>>>Dan

donn said:
Why?  Same reason you rarely see class 8 trucks with dual front axles on the highways.  Most have sufficient load carrying capacity using a single axle.  Besides dual steering axles complicates turning, handling immensely.
Exactly. I have driven dual steer axle rigs, big cranes. Not so good in the ride department, handling, etc.

The reason some vehicles have multiple steering axles has to do with needing more weight capacity, not a needing more braking or tire redundancy in case of blowouts. That's why the only time you normally see a vehicle with multiple steering axles is when the front has to carry more weight than a single axle can handle, crane rigs being the most common. I have seen crane rigs with two and three steering axles. Another factor that would make multiple steering axles unlikely on a motor home is expense. The questionable gains of such a setup wouldn't begin to cover the additional cost.

I used to drive a 20k# Pettibone CarryLift forklift that had steering axles on front and rear (it was built on a front end loader chassis). The rear axle could be set to be solid, steer opposite the front axle (for normal but tight turns) or the same direction as the front axle (that setting made the rig shift sideways like a crab without changing direction; weird!). That was one heavy, expensive piece of machinery.

Check http://www.machineryzone.eu/img_258/mobile-crane/mobile-crane.jpg for a picture of one that has three forward steering axles and two rear steering axles.

Utah..............common sense sez if you blow a front tyre your in serious trouble........a MH blew a front tyre on its way to homestead speedway.....the driver was a professional bus driver.......but he still got wrapped around a tree....killing i think it was 3.......

keith g said:
Utah..............common sense sez if you blow a front tyre your in serious trouble........a MH blew a front tyre on its way to homestead speedway.....the driver was a professional bus driver.......but he still got wrapped around a tree....killing i think it was 3.......

One anecdotal story does not make a case for blow a front tire and die. I have lost a front while driving at speed and although it was a harrowing experience I was able to keep it between the ditches and come to a stop. I build custom rigs all the time if you are willing to pay somebody will build it for you but not affordably.

Wayne

Here is a picture of a Prevost H5-60. There were only about 50 of them ever built. The company I used to work for had 17 of them.

Dual steering axles, fifth axle also steered. Ten tires, no duals.

Attachments

• H5-60.jpg
    H5-60.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 69
thx fer posting the pic.....nice looking bus.......we were in AZ just a month ago....rode the verde canyon railway,stayed at Kingman for a month,got a good deal on a site there.........

zukIzzy said:
One anecdotal story does not make a case for blow a front tire and die. I have lost a front while driving at speed and although it was a harrowing experience I was able to keep it between the ditches and come to a stop. I build custom rigs all the time if you are willing to pay somebody will build it for you but not affordably.

Wayne

I too blew a front tire on the W. Va. pike...got the rig over to the berm and took large breaths..I guess it just wasn't my time yet..
So I agree it can be done..but it is a small club to be in.
For what it's worth I don't see where you deserved the anecdotal back-lash...

keith g said:
anecdotal Wayne.........go tell that to the families......!

Sorry not my intent but more people died this week in the world choking while eating than this year from front blow outs. The families of all miss their loved ones the same but are we to say now that Eating is dangerous? I am not good with words maybe but feel I would rather live life then stay in a bubble away from all dangers.

Carry on without me I will bow out.

utahclaimjumper said:
Risk cannot be totally illuminated from all things.>>>Dan

Are you sure?  The company I work for seems to think so.  All I do anymore is try to idiot proof our entire complex so no one will get hurt.  Then if they do something stupid and find a new way to get hurt it is always maintenance's fault because we must not have thought of that.

Unfortunately this is the way society is heading.

Mike.

I drove a Bedford ATL in the 1980's, on a couple of trips onto the continent, (Europe), from the UK.

A pig of a bus to drive, changing gear was like trying to find the right 1 of 6 gears, in a tied up trash bag, with a 6' broom, while blindfolded!

Front engined, which was why you needed the the twin steer. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom