Two hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mortgageguy1

hi

There are two black insulated hoses attached to my water heater.  They are not the supply and output lines.

Those are white pex or similar

These look like insulated hvac lines

Any clues on what these do.?

1998 holiday rambler 34 ft diesel pusher

There are two black insulated hoses attached to my water heater.  They are not the supply and output lines.

Knowing the make and model of the water heater will confirm HueyPilot's suggestion......

If one of those hoses are leaking it may be the answer to your dash heat question. Also adds to the large amount of coolant your engine cooling system holds with even more plumbing and another heat exchanger. This reinforces the probability that your system may be air bound and needs to be burped. Does the the water heater work while driving? Is the rig new to you? Possible previous owner closed valves for winterizing and failed to inform you, Although coolant vales would not need to be closed for winter, possible done with over abundance of caution or to hide a leak from prospective buyers.

Bill

Next clue

Occasionally I get idiot light which reads low water. It normally happens first thing in the morning and goes out quickly

Not today though,drove from las cruces to Albuquerque. On arrival, and low,speed city streets it illuminated again.  Did not go,out quickly

Called freight liner and was told to just top off the over flow.

However it was very close to full.......

With cold engine open radiator cap and add coolant there. The way the overflow is supposed to work is when engine heats up coolant expands and pressure builds, pressure is good it raises the boiling temp, When the pressure exceeds the radiator cap it releases some coolant into the expansion/overflow tank. This might happen on a long grade. When your engine cools back down the coolant shrinks and the pressure drop inside the sealed cooling system, creating a vacuum. The radiator cap is supposed to allow the coolant in the expansion tank to be drawn back into the radiator. If it continues losing coolant it will either be a bad cap or a small leak somewhere not allowing the vacuum created by cooling down to draw coolant back into the radiator.

You might want to call Freightliner with you VIN and ask if your 1998 has an engine protection system that will shut it down when low on coolant. I have driven newer ones that will shut off if the radiator is down 1/2 gallon or so. My solution if that happens is to rough up the ride by abrupt braking or swing side to side enough to slosh the coolant in the radiator around and get the coolant sensor wet again, the light would go off and you could get to where you could add coolant. The early clue is the light may come on momentarily on long sweeping curves, like an entrance or exit ramp or even when making a turn from a stop,when the coolant is sloshed to one side or the other exposing the sensor. It really sucks when your tractor trailer shuts off when making a left in traffic. They will generally start right back up so you can get out of the intersection.

Bill

The way the overflow is supposed to work is when engine heats up coolant expands and pressure builds, pressure is good it raises the boiling temp, When the pressure exceeds the radiator cap it releases some coolant into the expansion/overflow tank.

That is probably NOT the case with his Freightliner diesel. In that cooling system, the coolant expansion tank is pressurized and the "radiator cap" is on the expansion tank. There is no car-like overflow system after the radiator cap.    I can't speak for sure about a 1998 Freightliner chassis, but later ones work as I described and the coolant level sensor is in the expansion tank.

On  my  Suburban  hot water heater  SW6DEM,  those  two  hoses are  used  to  heat  up  the  water  in  the  hot water heater  tank  while  I  am  driving  down  the  road.    When  I  get  to  my  destination I  have  a  full  tank  of  hot  water.  The  " M "  on the  end  of  the Suburban  designator  stands  for  Motoraid,  and  means  exactly  what  I  have  just  said.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom