Two newbie questions on 25 ft travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jandyman

Hello!

We (my family) are a hop, skip, and a jump away from buying a 25 foot travel trailer. We spent a month in a class C motorhome in New Zealand recently, and decided a trailer was a better option because:
[list type=decimal]
[*]We got tired of listening to everything bouncing around in back, especially the dishes.
[*]The ride wasn't great, especially for the kids in back.
[*]We like the idea of leaving the trailer in camp and tooling around without it
[/list]
So now I'm thinking through things, and there are a couple things about the trailer plan that concern me, partially because we are looking at a longer trailer than I was at first envisioning and partially because it has a slide out section on the side.

I'm a little concerned the difficulty of parking during the day, and I'm interested in comments on that. I didn't have much trouble in the class C, but a 25 foot trailer with a full size truck sounds like a whole different ball game.

Along the same lines, we often pulled over and did lunch in the class C. But with the slide in on the trailer, it is awfully cramped inside, and the door to the bathroom is blocked. I'm worried that it won't be convenient to do the lunch thing - especially anywhere near a town - because it will be inconvenient to find a place where we can put the slide section out. It will face towards the road, like most of them do. Comments on this issue are welcome!

Finally, one of the reasons to go with the 25 ft travel trailer instead of a fifth wheel is that we'd like to go to older prettier campgrounds that we hear won't accommodate larger (or taller) trailers. But I'm worried that some of these campground might have a tree or bush or rock in the way that won't allow us to extend the slide out. Is this something we should worry about?

Thanks for any advice! And I apologize for the non-specific subject line, but I couldn't think of what to write.

- Andy

The slide in blocking the bathroom thing.....that would get annoying if you want to stop for lunch somewhere.  If there is something you don't like about this trailer....and it sounds like that is a big one.....keep looking.  That was one big selling point in the trailer I bought last year....everything is still easily accessible with the slide in.

As far as parking, it just takes practice.  Find an empty parking lot, set up some cones, and practice backing it in.  You'll get good at it pretty quickly.  When you start getting good, move the cones in closer and try it then.  I've owned several trailers....this last one we bought is 30'.  I can back it in next to my house with about 3' to spare on either side now on the first try. 

I agree with frizle, picking the right floor plan that works for you is key. My mh has a slide, and is completely functional with it in or out. Not all of them are. As stated, with a little practice you will be a pro at backing up. A trick my truck driver brother taught me is when you are ready to back up your trailer, hold the steering wheel at the bottom. Look in your mirrors. Which ever way you want the trailer to go, move your hand in that direction. Takes all the guess work out of which way to turn the wheel. I wouldnt worry about trailer size as far as getting into campgrounds. Like everyone else, you will soon be wishing you had a bigger one. Good luck and happy camping.

hello,  we purchased a 34 1/2 ft TT as the floorplan fit our needs, which included the bathroom/fridge etc., not being blocked with the slide in.  there are many floorplans avail, so you will find one which meets your family's needs.  we are in a campground and we have good spacing with the other MH, FW, and TT. 

We looked at several of the sites around our area and they all had good spacing with no problems with trees/bushes.  seems they figured it out and have the site adjusted so that the slides are all opposite of the tree and the branches are either forward or rear of the RV's. but I guess that is site to
site dependent. 

This is our first TT and we just jumped into full-timing, we went to a rest stop and practiced parking and turning and every now and then when we can,
we stop and practice. eventually we'll get better at parking and everything else.

Enjoy and hope you find a TT to RV in.

bill & jodi

Welcome!

Practice runs and real camping are only things that will give you experience in backing in.  The more you can get out there with your own rig, the better.  The trick that muskoka guy mentioned is spot on.

As for parks with smaller spaces, you will definitely have more options with a TT over a Fiver.  But I'm not sure I would let that be the ultimate deciding factor.  A Fiver will almost nearly always offer your family more living space.

And don't rush into buying a trailer that doesn't meet your needs!  Get it right the first time, or as close as possible.

Guys here have really good point. I would tend to agree and keep looking for a floorplan that fits your family and you they way you want. Like my Jayco is really good about pulling over and stopping to have a sandwich or a nap. No need for the slide.

jandyman said:
I'm a little concerned the difficulty of parking during the day, and I'm interested in comments on that. I didn't have much trouble in the class C, but a 25 foot trailer with a full size truck sounds like a whole different ball game.

Along the same lines, we often pulled over and did lunch in the class C. But with the slide in on the trailer, it is awfully cramped inside, and the door to the bathroom is blocked. I'm worried that it won't be convenient to do the lunch thing - especially anywhere near a town - because it will be inconvenient to find a place where we can put the slide section out. It will face towards the road, like most of them do. Comments on this issue are welcome!

The only parking you should have to do is en route somewhere. If you are not on a major highway with rest stops, you'll just learn to find larger parking lots - grocery stores, shopping centers, etc. I have even stopped at some private businesses with large lots and just checked at the front desk if I could hang out for a 1/2 hour or so.

If you want to do some sightseeing on the day you check out of a campground, ask them if you can park the TT for a few hours. Most campgrounds are accomodating.

On the slide issue, ours is manageable with the slide in but it does block the bathroom door and has to be opened about half way to clear it. It is annoying but was not a deal killer for us since we absolutely love the rest of our TT. Aside from a couple of emergency stops  :eek: , the 15 seconds it takes to open the slide has not been a problem.

Thank for all the replies, especially on floor plans! I did a more thorough search as a result, and it looks like the Jayco 23M may be a good match for us. It's a little smaller which I like (I particularly like the murphy bed as opposed to the standard permanent queen), but the small slide still looks like it makes the kitchen less cramped and it doesn't block the bathroom when the slide is in. It is hard to tell how much it blocks the kitchen, but as long as getting a quick snack is still possible, that would be fine. An added bonus on the 23M is the extra door at the back to keep kitchen traffic down. The bunk beds are essential for us, to keep the two kids separated (when they are with us). All in all, it seems like a good setup. Anyone seen one of these in person? There doesn't seem to be one to look at locally.

It is OK to put the slide halfway out on these things?

- Andy

It's OK to put the slide out partially on a temporary basis, but they're really designed to be fully in or fully out as far as weight bearing is concerned.  When my TT is parked next to my house, I don't have room to open the slide fully.....but I can extend it about halfway, which I do sometimes for cleaning purposes.  I move it back in as soon as I'm done.

jandyman said:
It is OK to put the slide halfway out on these things?
Andy

I have an older Jayco parked.  I go visit the poor thing a couple of times during the Winter to check things out.  I usually end up staying an extra night.  I put my slide out due to the fact it's in the way being in my kitchen/dining area if retracted.  Have done the partial thing as well.  Depends on the length of my stay. 

Though I don't tow, I would think you would be ok to slide it out to have lunch.  Many do.  I see RVs all the time in rest areas with a slide or two out.  I'm assuming their stay is short lived.  And I agree with past post.  I've done the same thing to clean up.  Shouldn't be problem.

Jandyman- I are very happy owners of a 28 ft Jayco TT. We have one slideout which when in still allows us access to all of the TT. There are many smaller trailers to choose from so take your time and get what meets your family's needs best. Typically when traveling we will look for a truck stop or wayside at lunchtime and in a pinch as noted by others some large stores will allow to to use their parking lot. As for campground sites I have yet to find one that didn't accomodate my trailer size except of course for really remote areas that would probably only accomodate a tent. Also when we first got our trailer 3 years ago I too was a newbie to this wonderful lifestyle but in no time got over my initial fear of towing a TT. When I got to campsites, I didn'thesitate to let a neighbor know that I was a newbie and request their help in backing my trailer in. Before long I was able to do it without any assistance except having my wife help guide me. We use pre-established hand signals to direct me left, right, and distance to back up. We also purchased walkie talkies to use should we pull in at nightfall. BTW this is the best site for help with Rving questions. Wishing you are your family many happy adventures!

A lot of great advice and I agree with each point. The one thing you didn't mention is the tow vehicle. Just curious since this will be your first. Just want to make sure you sized out okay. Parking these things is one part of it, but towing down the road is another. Make sure you get the proper WD hitch and that it is set up properly. Nothing more aggravating than towing a trailer that the hitch was not set up properly. When they are right on most of them will tow like a dream. Our slide does block the bathroom door but we move it out a foot or two for access if needed. Our Layton has an end kitchen, end bedroom with dbl doors and a snack bar which works out fine. You are on a fun adventure with ups and downs and something the family will enjoy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom