Two tow vehicles one travel trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

westr212

I've got two vehicles I can tow my travel trailer with and when taking the camper plus my boat, I want to let the wife tow the boat with the nicer vehicle. This is the vehicle with the brake controller that we normally tow the travel trailer with, when camping without the boat. I don't have a brake controller on the second vehicle and it sounds like I can move the brake controller from vehicle to vehicle with a bracket and a second oem connector harness. I've got a quality brake controller that I really like, but getting it dialed in took a little and needs a little tweaking. This is something I will only do once a year so it would be great to save the money by not having to buy a second brake controller.
If you've transferred a controller between vehicles, please share your experience.

Have only thought about sharing one with two vehicles, But always find it easier to just buy a controller for each vehicle that needs it, usually buy them used good brand basic models.

A second, high quality brake controller is only about $125, e.g. a Tekonsha Prodigy. Seems like the expense is worth avoiding the hassle of swapping controllers back & forth.

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90885.html

I haul Jeeps, RVs, and tractors all over the place so I've been able to toy with a few trailer brake controllers.  I have a Tekonsha Primus IQ in my Tow Vehicle.  Its a nice balance of good and cheap.  Easy to get adjusted since its self leveling, and cheap enough that I put one in the Motorhome too.  My Dad's truck has the Prodigy P2 brake controller which, if I recall, is rated for 4 axle braking systems to the Primus's 3 axles.  A friend installed the Prodigy P3, which seemed like overkill unless you need the electric/hydraulic brake control.

I'm in the buy two camp.  Most states have a requirement of trailer brakes for trailers over a certain weight (in my state its 2000lb).  since you mention that your controller needs to be "dialed in" I'm guessing it needs to be leveled manually.  In that case I'd keep it in your vehicle and give your wife the self-leveling unit.

Throw my hat into a brake control for each vehicle.  Tekshona Prodigy as Gay indicated is indeed a good one and not all that expensive.

I've got a Tekonsha Prodogy 2. It's awesome and plan to move it from my 2011 Nissan Armada to 2008 F150. I think it will work,  but will report back in a couple months when I test it.
Thanks, Paul

I'm reporting an update after securing a second mounting bracket for my Teconsha Prodigy 2and mounted in my Ford F150 XL. I got their clip\snap on harness and install was a breeze.
The controller worked just like in the original vehicle and I didn't have to make any adjustment.
I am pleased and would suggest no need to buy a second controller.
Two notes
There is approximately 2 inches of height difference for the hitch receivers between vehicles. I adjusted the weight distribution hitch so there was a balance between the height and angle of the hitch assembly best suited to the two vehicles. My truck only has a 4.6 liter V6 so it's not real strong but it did a good job on the flat at 60 mph. I just had to get the best hitch adjustment for the trailer with both tow vehicles.
The other thing to plan is a system to secure the wiring harness so that it is out of harms way when the controller is in the other vehicle. Right now I just twisted zip tied the harness out of the way.
Save yourself a $100 if you don't need to have both tow vehicles towing an electric brake trailer at the same time.

Can you use a piece of self adhesive velcro stuck under the dash somewhere to secure  harness when not in use? You might try keeping an eye on your local Craigslist for another matching head for your wdh too. That way you can have one set up for each vehicle without compromising either setup.

Back
Top Bottom