TX suggestions ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IslandHopper

OK... the RV is new to us... the weather is better, and I've a couple weeks free... where would y'all recommend in TX for a family RV excursion in March ?  There are kids involved.  We'll probably only stay a few days.  It'll be a bit of a "shakedown cruise" for us.
Short of going to Corpus to visit some friends, we haven't really got a clue where to go (NOT anywhere near S.Padre ... it's spring break season there!)  And I don't think we want to go all the way to Big Bend right now... but maybe.

San Anotonio would be a good choice.  Sea World is there and the Alamo.  The River Walk in downtown S.A. is a great place, with barge rides and dinners.

We like SA.... but we're thinking something a little less "urban".  (Besides, we spent a week there last fall.)

Something more "camping"-esque.  Skip the cities and taka advantage of the RV's "bring your own amenities" thing.  Maybe a state/nat'l park or something ?

I do appreciate the suggestion though!

- Brad

I don't know if it will be warm enough in March, but we really want to go to Amistad for fishing.  There are nice places to stay in Frederickburg.  Probably any of the state parks will give you the camping-esque feel.  I hear Somerville is a nice place to go.  Big Bend is an area I've always wanted to see.  You can see wildlife and alligators at Brazos Bend state park.  Huntsville is a pine forest, and it's most fun if you have a canoe.  Our dd was young when we did most of our camping, and she never needed much extra for entertainment.  We mostly enjoy camping near water and have had many fun trips to Canyon Lake, but we waited until a little later in the year.

We are new to rv-ing and have been told it's really windy at a lot of parks on the lakes, so you might not want to use your awnings this time of year.

There are some nice state parks in the Hill Country and the wildflowers should be blooming nicely.

Wendy
Lake Mead

Two of my favorite places are Big Bend National Park and Palo Duro Canyon.  Big Bend gets rather hot in the summer, so March is a good time to visit.  The Davis Mountains State Park / Ft. Davis / McDonald Observatory are also interesting places to visit.  We do S. Padre at Christmas and like you do bot want to be anywhere near there in March!

Randy and Diane / Dallas

Three of our favorite state parks include:  Daingerfield State Park in N.E. Texas, Tyler State Park in E. Texas and Inks Lake State Park in the Hill country of Central Texas.  There are others, but we like those three very much.

Hi Y'all,  I'm new to this forum but thought I'd drop a line.  I live in Washington State, but was in Texas during Christmas break.  Our motorhome is hooked up near Lake Whitney which is northwest of Waco.  I'm not sure where you will be traveling from but if it's possible I can recommend Dinosaur Valley State Park.  We took a day trip up there during break.  There's a campground right there in the park and it's a nice one.  The kids can ride bikes, learn about the dinosaurs and actually wade in the river - it's pretty shallow - look at and touch dinosaur tracks.  I'm no kid and I thought it was way cool - I'm sure kids would be delighted.  I did think Texas' cost to camp at state campgrounds was a bit high.  If I remember right, there was a camping fee plus more money for each person camping so it can add up.

Hope your trip is a good one.  I'll be down there again on my spring break so - see you on the road!  We're going to go camp at Lake Bardwell, I think.  That's a Corp of Engineers park over near Corsicana.

Right now I'm in Amarillo TX,  Rather windy, Snowed last night, I was further west and even with jacks down the rig was a rocking something fierce, (Tucumcrai NM was my last stop) nice little park near the Loves Truck Stop, pull through, decent shower, free cable 19/night with discount card.  Nothing really to recommend it for a stay but for an overnight stop. FANTASTIC

John, Obviously you are to far North for this time of year or to close to Tom. :D  Haven't seen any snow here South of Houston.  We Will be heading up to Livingston TX on our way up to the Dallas area next week.  Have a safe drive.

LOL Ron,

Nothing but warmth and sun the last couple of days in Yuma and so far en route to Las Vegas. Obviously someone else must have been responsible for all that bad weather that followed us for so long.

Tom said:
LOL Ron,

Nothing but warmth and sun the last couple of days in Yuma and so far en route to Las Vegas. Obviously someone else must have been responsible for all that bad weather that followed us for so long.

Either that or maybe somebody in the framily in AZ has more influence on the warm weather than you do the cold. ;D ;D ;D  Guess we will see when you start traveling again.

We'll be at Moab, as will Al and several other friends of ours you haven't yet met.

Tom said:
We'll be at Moab, as will Al and several other friends of ours you haven't yet met.

Please leave the cold behind when you come to Moab. ;D ;D  Sam & I are looking forward to the Moab rallyt again.

There's much to see in Washington.  Which side of the state are you heading to Island Hopper?  On the west you have the Pacific Ocean, Olympic Peninsula, Mt. Baker, Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens,  and beautiful green trees and mountains.  ON the east side of the Cascade Mountains it is dry and arid but equally beautiful in its own way.  Don't miss the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area if you get a chance.  It is east of Portland, Oregon bordering Washington/Oregon.  I live in the heart of it.

I've a sister who lives near Samamish, E of Seattle... we're thinking about driving out via the L & C trail.

Lewis and Clark's Trail will bring you right through the Columbia River Gorge - it's a sight to see.  There's a beautiful Washington State Campground at Maryhill.  If you prefer to boondock, plan on stopping just below the John Day Dam.  It's Corp of Engineer and free.  You get off of I84 at Rufus, Oregon, go under the overpass and head for the dam.  You can pull of on any of the parking areas (graveled and paved) between Rufus and the Dam.  This was a beautiful Corp of Engineers Park when I was a kid, but they don't water the grass or maintain the trails anymore.  It's a pity.  There is a flush toilet closer to the dam, but it's not very clean so if you are self-contained, I recommend boondocking further form the dam.

Have a great trip.  I'd love to do that one myself.  Maybe next summer.  This summer were going to do Yosemite and also some gold mining in northern California and southern Oregon.  Maybe some kayaking on Lake Klamath too...Oh ain't life grand?!!
8)

Last year, we went to Brazos Bend State Park south of Houston.  It is very nice for camping, as you said, and my grandkids loved seeing the alligators.  They have several lakes with gators as large as 15 feet long.  You can bike ride, walk, fish, or just go view the gators.  They have an exhibit that displays the many different kinds of wildlife in the park and one of the park rangers does a very good informational presentation about the alligators--kids loved it.  One of the rangers also tells ghost stories for the kids late in the evening at a small outdoor amphitheater.  The RV pads have just been redone and I didn't even have to level my motorhome because my site was perfectly level.  This time of year the mosquetoes are not as bad as they are during the summer months, so it should be nice camping.  If you just want to get away from it all, this is a nice place.

Dan

I grew up in an area near Brazos Bend State Park and I got this from a local newspaper.  This alligator was found (I think in '05) in someone's yard down there. 

Alligator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom