Typing 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TonyDtorch said:
Several years back my clever and handsome son took a 'Home Ec' class in high school.    He dated the majority of the girls in that class.

But the best thing about it... he learned how to be an epic bachelor.  :)

That is the reason I took typing plus it was an easy credit.I almost took Home Ec but things went wrong with family the next year. In typing I got to know all the popular girls but sadly they also got to know me.

Are you saying you disappointed them? ;D In our small high school boys weren't offered  typing or home ec, girls weren't allowed in the shop. My dad, the shop teacher, felt the distraction of a pretty girl wasn't needed around power tools. I can type reasonably well one finger hunt and peck, it's a good thing because my hand writing is atrocious. The only problem is I have to remember to check my work frequently, I have been known to type a whole paragraph with the cap lock on.

Roy M said:
The only problem is I have to remember to check my work frequently, I have been known to type a whole paragraph with the cap lock on.

And all this time, I thought it was just me.  Now I find it's normal.  :eek: ::) :'(

Chris learned to type at the UK centralized DVLA (like a Federal DMV). There were no letters/symbols on the keys, and they were ding'd every time they got one character wrong.

FWIW ... Chris got to enter Prince Charles' first driving (drivers) license info.

My mother was convinced I needed typing. I wasn?t so sure. I had a full schedule with all the regular classes plus extra music and extra science classes. I ended up working through a self-directed workbook and became a respectable typist. It was good enough to work as a hospital clerk and a fill in for the Dean?s secretary in college. More importantly, it was good enough to type probably hundreds of thousands of lines of computer code for my job as a software engineer.

I use my iPad almost exclusively to surf the Internet, and I still miss a real keyboard. I used to have a Bluetooth one, but it didn?t last too long, so I just do the three or four finger thing.

My mother worked as a secretary and account rep for a newspaper that was later bought out by the Tribune Company. She could type faster that I can think. For my 13th birthday she bought me a portable typewriter (still have it). I had just completed a typing class in middle school. I submitted all papers in high school typed (my handwriting sucks, maybe that is why the purchase). I took two typing classes in high school and when computers showed up I re-connected with the skill. Over the years I took many computer classed offered by the community colleges near me. That also kept up my typing. My mom visited a fortune teller when I was still in diapers and was told I would be a writer. I guess that motivated her gift at a early age but it got me more established and has never been regretted. I also was the only boy in high school typing class but did not benefit on that score. My only regret is not having followed with business skills to include shorthand as my note taking skills have required many agonizing hours trying to figure out what I had meant in notes taken in courses. With computer classes almost mandatory today you have to take typing or demonstrate the skill. Have handed in my quality engineer badge and trying to figure out where to put my printer in the MH. Itasca Reyo 25P. I feel so hampered by having to find a Kinko's or USPS store to print off portable media.

UTTransplant said:
I use my iPad almost exclusively to surf the Internet, and I still miss a real keyboard. I used to have a Bluetooth one, but it didn?t last too long, so I just do the three or four finger thing.

The Ipad/Iphone will make keyboards and typing skills a thing of the past.

TonyDtorch said:
The Ipad/Iphone will make keyboards and typing skills a thing of the past.

For some, perhaps. PCs still have keyboards, and I have an add-on keyboard for my iPad and for my ASUS Transformer -- they're admittedly smaller than on a PC or typewriter, but typing is still handier than letter-at-a-time on a touch screen (sure there is voice, but often that isn't appropriate, such as notes in class, or in a meeting of any sort). And though seldom used these days, we still have typewriters.

Many are trying to say that handwriting is obsolete, too, and some schools no longer teach cursive, but that assertion doesn't make it true, unless by their actions they are trying to force it to be true.

Larry N. said:
Many are trying to say that handwriting is obsolete, too, and some schools no longer teach cursive, but that assertion doesn't make it true, unless by their actions they are trying to force it to be true.
My handwriting is most certainly obsolete. I have been typing since the 70s and I rarely have to actually write something down so when I do it is almost illegible.

Regardless of the topic, how nice it would be if all OP's proof read their Topic line and message before posting it to make sure it made sense and was correctly spelled.

How nice it would be if the responses were proof read and had no or minimal spelling errors and the grammar was OK and not sounding like gibberish.

What would it take, a few seconds of re-reading a response before hitting the post key to keep from your post from looking like an 8 year old took over your keyboard?

BRex said:
Regardless of the topic, how nice it would be if all OP's proof read their Topic line and message before posting it to make sure it made sense and was correctly spelled.

How nice it would be if the responses were proof read and had no or minimal spelling errors and the grammar was OK and not sounding like gibberish.

What would it take, a few seconds of re-reading a response before hitting the post key to keep from your post from looking like an 8 year old took over your keyboard?

Well, you're (not your) not (not knot) much fun.

catblaster said:
So you must have had coach Ramsey for English also!!

I had Miss Gatch. How I was put in her class I have no idea. It was an advanced class. I could barely speak English much less conjugate verbs and understand sentence structure. Funny though, I did end up with an M.Ed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharod
Back
Top Bottom