Ugh - New to RV'ing, buying first RV question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bconley1972

Hi there all!  Love that this forum is available and thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

So, my wife and I are on the verge of buying our first camper (used 2013 Shadowcruiser 280QBS.  The thing appears to be in nearly immaculate condition however, it has been stored under a cover for two years and not used. 

I've only noted two items of concern - inside, in the bumpout between the two windows there appears to be a separation at a seam (hope to add a picture later when I'm not at work) and on the back exterior, there appears to be a small bump in the laminate - almost appears to be popping out from the plywood.

We checked the roof and could not see any apparent areas where water may have gotten in.  My wife and children are particularly sensitive to mold however and I'm wondering if anyone has ever had to deal with mold in the plywood and how much that typically costs to resolve - I'm sure it can vary greatly but am just trying to get an idea of whether or not it would be worth the trouble if there's a mold issue.

Thanks for your time and help.
Bill

Attachments

• image000001 (002).jpg
    image000001 (002).jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 104
Both of those items sound like water damage, though without pictures it is hard to tell. It is always expensive to repair, and I would recommend walking away. There are other trailers out there without water damage, especially if your family is sensitive.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Ask any questions you need to and use the library, resources and search functions where applicable.

Good that you are doing your due diligence. 

There are hand held moisture detectors available at low cost on amazon that may or may not be helpful.  We have never used one, but it may be something to consider.  Anyone else out there used these and what  do you think about the value of it when looking at RVs to buy??

https://www.amazon.com/Moisture-Meters/b?ie=UTF8&node=553270

Thanks so far!  Was able to add the picture of the inside issue I was explaining.  The outside bump in the laminate didn't photograph well.

I would worry a moisture sensor wouldn?t find anything in a camper stored under cover for 2 years whether it had a leak or not. The inside wall issue could just be poor construction. Does it feel soft? Push on it gently and compare the feel to other locations. Try doing the same thing inside and outside at the spot with delamination. We did buy a trailer once with significant water damage to the door, which we knew about. DH repaired the damage, but it was a bear to do. He had to remove the skin, rebuild the frame inside, then put the skin back on.

UTTransplant said:
I would worry a moisture sensor wouldn?t find anything in a camper stored under cover for 2 years whether it had a leak or not.
Missed that bit. I did wonder about it drying out too.  :)

That sure looks like mold to me !

If there are places where the walls are "bumped out" I am guessing that there has been water damage and the plys are swelling.
Keep in in mind that water can get in through various other places than the roof; such as seams.

If it was me, I would pass on it.

Jack LaMarre

Considering you're new at RV's, I would recommend getting it inspected by an RV inspector or mobile RV tech. Well worth the $200-300. We can sit and speculate all day looking at pics and still be wrong. The inside could just be there because the staples are loose, or the paneling popped over the staples. That could happen just riding down the road. It may have been like that when it left the factory. What appears to be delamination may not actually be delamination at all.

We've only had our motorhome about 4 years so this may just be unique to us.  That said, it doesn't seem uncommon for the topic of mold to come up.  Our motorhome is stored inside and every year when we get ready to travel I have to do a 'wash mold off some surfaces' routine.  Fortunately neither me or DH are sensitive to mold so it isn't a terrible problem although would be better without it.  We're very humid here so that may be a factor; hope mold won't be a problem for your family.

Shelia

That photo doesn't scream "water damage" to me; it could just as easily be poor quality construction or loosened wall panels.  The bump in the exterior skin, however, is very likely a sign of water intrusion. Maybe not serious - it's often not easy to tell where the leak is or how much damage has occurred. Newcomers rarely have enough experience to judge that or even recognize the more subtle symptoms, so a pro inspector helps. However, most inspectors are just going note its presence and cite the possibility of hidden damage.

Any RV stored in a humid climate without adequate ventilation is likely to have surface mold in the interior, but if in a dry climate that rarely occurs. Mold inside walls or floor as a result of water intrusion is a possibility, but I would expect to see more signs of dampness in the interior than what you noted and there would probably be an aroma as well.  As for the cost of fixing a mold problem, it could be anywhere form cheap (wash the walls) to exorbitant (tear the interior wall panels or flooring out and reconstruct damaged areas).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holtt
Back
Top Bottom