Unbelieveable Story - Super Slide Glide Rite Meets Fifth Wheel....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One other observation we have made while we've had time to ponder the events... it seemed that the brakes on the trailer were not working either.  Otherwise, why would it slam, with all of it's force,  into the hitch?  Hmmmmmmmmm.....we have arranged to have the trailer towed to a reputable dealer in Colorado Springs tomorrow morning.  They will give it a solid inspection and let us know the status.

The truck is going to the Dodge body shop for an estimate.  If all goes well we could hit the road again early next week. 

Meanwhile Ron...we spoke to an attorney who encouraged us to talk directly with Holiday's ins co. claims rep., we did, and he said that because the pickup had the pull-rite already installed, and that Holiday RV did not do the installation,  it may be that Holiday has no liability. This seems like grasping for straws but I guess we have to entertain the possibility that even though the fact remains that they didn not have the King Pin outfitted with the correct pieces/parts and refused to acknowledge that they didn't know what they were doing...they believe that they may not be responsible.

** Sigh **

It sounds to me as if they are shirking their responsibility every way they can.  Its a sad state of affairs when they do that.  They have to be held at fault since they let you take it not knowing whether it was safe or not.  And it sounds as if their own techs had questions as to that safety.

On your computer let me make a suggestion, you can buy every anti virus out there and still get trojans.  Might I suggest you also get a good ad and spy remover like adaware or spybot and run them once a week to once a month and you will find many trojan spys/ads on your pc that will can also be removed. 

we spoke to an attorney who encouraged us to talk directly with Holiday's ins co. claims rep., we did, and he said that because the pickup had the pull-rite already installed, and that Holiday RV did not do the installation,  it may be that Holiday has no liability. This seems like grasping for straws but I guess we have to entertain the possibility that even though the fact remains that they didn not have the King Pin outfitted with the correct pieces/parts and refused to acknowledge that they didn't know what they were doing...they believe that they may not be responsible.

Pay no attention - it's their insurers job to deny  responsibility and try to avoid paying claims unnecessarily. It's just maneuvering for position, hoping you will go away.  That's one reason why you may want to use your insurance company as your representative in the matter - they know how to deal with the other company. That means you have to file a claim on your insurance and hope/ask that  they move against the other insurer. If the dollar amount is small, they may not bother to go after the other, but if the damages are substantial they may.

But the issue is a bit foggy, since (as I understand it) the disk in question is something you should have had with your hitch. They can argue you failed to provide it.  Their failure, apparently, was that they did not know it was required with that type of hitch or notice it was missing. You, as the customer, have the right to expect the dealer will be competent and knowledgeable about RVs and hitches

Thanks for the tip utmtman...I've downloaded spybot and am running "search and destroy" as I type this.  I've been without a computer connection for a couple days now and as soon as I had WIFI again Norton popped up with yet another trojan that it can't quarantine.  Your suggestion was timely!!

You are correct about the "missing part"  on the king pin Gary,  It IS something that we should have had with our hitch,(however even if we had the "capture plate"  we know now that this dealer wouldn't have had a clue what to do with it...they had never even seen a Pull-Rite hitch prior to seeing ours).  Clearly they didn't even consider it  prudent to do a little research on the Pull-Rite before hooking our rig up to it.  The only salesman that works there, (the mysteriously disappearing salesman), actively promotes the Pull-Rite to people, like us, who have never towed a 5th wheel before.  So, naturally we thought that the dealership was familiar with these hitches, they told us they install 6,000 hitches a year!!  So, it was based on this salesman's recommendation that we sought the Pull-Rite hitching system above all others.  The owner of the truck that we bought told us about the "capture plate", he told us that it was a critical piece of the hitch, and he asked us to check our 5er to see if this plate was already installed on the king pin, as quite often they are.  So, over the course of two weeks, while they were "prepping" our rig,  we asked three or four different employees at Holiday RV if our rig was outfitted with this part, we told them we could get the part if they needed it...their answers were exactly the same, word for word,  "no, you don't need that part, you don't need anything extra on the king pin, everything you need is already here".  We even asked a couple of them to walk out to the rig and inspect the king pin with us so that we could better understand.  The day we sealed the deal on the truck the owner asked one more time..."you certain that you don't need me to take the "capture plate" off my rig"?  We told him what the employees at Holiday RV had told us..."no, we don't need it".  We asked the tech guys just one more time...only minutes before they began to hook the rv up to the Pull-Rite... and yet again the answer was "no, you don't need any other parts". 

The dealer that is now performing an all points check up on our 5er notified us today that we had NO BRAKES on the rig as we descended the mountain canyon where the malfunctions occurred... they were completely shot. These service techs have taken detailed photo's and retained all of the malfunctioning parts.  Holiday RV DIDN'T EVEN CHECK THE BRAKES on the rig before sending us down a steep canyon highway!!!  The window that they removed and ostensibly "repaired"  was reinstalled incorrectly and melting snow was leaking into the wall, where there had never been leaking before.  And this is only day ONE of the inspection we are having done on this rig!!

Thanks Gary for the insurance insight - we are getting a "crash course" in stalling tactics of the insurance industry,  (and  a great education on Pull-Rite hitches I might add).  As unconventional as it is, putting a stop payment on our check to the dealership  seems to be having the  beneficial effect of expediting payment for our damages, we THINK.  Let me just say that it is true that "possession is 9/10 of the law".  Although this was a legally risky move and we don't recommend it for everyone!

The owner of Holiday RV, (who would not talk to us prior to learning of the stop payment),  finally contacted us today...first, to threaten that he was going to drive several hours from another town to personally tow our 5th wheel right off the lot of the dealer who is doing our inspection,  (he cannot remove the rv with out an injunction from the court).  Nevertheless, next he called the dealership that has our rig to tell them that he was coming to take "his" property off their lot", the owner of the "good" dealership replied, "you are not to step foot on my property and if you do I will call law enforcement and have you removed, (this is the wild wild west after all)!!!  After he conceded on that issue he thought about it for a couple of hours and at last left a message on our phone saying that he wants to assure us that he is a "good guy" and "he will take care of his customers", and  he "wants to negotiate with us directly".  We are more than happy to negotiate with him...this seems to be in everyone's best interest. We are not the litigious types but we did speak with an attorney for guidance.  Terms like "fraud" and "negligent endangerment" could be applied to the experiences that we have had with Holiday RV.  We obviously want this resolved quickly so we can get on down the road. We figure that  he must know, by now, that he has much more to lose by behaving in a confrontive, irresponsible manner.  We will comprise our list of damages and contact him tomorrow to see where he's coming from.  We will update you, our well-wishers, when we know the outcome. 

Sorry about the lengthy prose....I got a bit carried away.  But we do hope that in telling this experience, as we experience it,  others can avoid the numerous mistakes we have made.

All the BEST...

David, Katy and the Big Pooooo

Thanks for the detailed narrative - it is very instructive to all of us. Sorry you have to go though this sort of ordeal, but by sharing it here, at least others will benefit from it. Stick to your guns (as you have been), don't let them buffalo you and I think all will be resolved satisfactorily in the end.

It's a sad thing that the typical level of competence at RV dealerships is so very low. There are some good dealerships and more than a few good technicians, but overall your chances of getting shoddy work are much greater than the odds of a good job.

Thanks for the update and sharing your experience.  Like Gary mentioned sharing your experience may help others avoid the same experience and if they do how to deal with it.  Hope all works out for you.

Sounds like you will get it resolved yet.  Thats some good news. 
Glad you downloaded spybot, hope it works well for you. 
Also I started on the Net with McAffee till I got a virus and so I went to Norton until it took over my computer and also let me catch a virus.  Mind you that was over three or four years for each. 
I am now with AVG which I started with their free version for about two years and now I bought my first pay version last month. In the two plus years I have had AVG I have yet to catch any kind of virus.  Cannot say the same for the wife, but she also downloads a lot of games and seems to catch one off and on in the downloads.  But AVG has quarentined every one of them. 
Lee

Read the whole story and have learned a lot!
Please keep us all posted regarding the final solution, and... how your trip goes.
Also, The verbage is very professional and easy to follow... EXCELLANT in fact!

We need more people like yourselves to help us understand and deal with the "BAD GUYS" out there.

Thanking you,

UPDATE!!

FIRST, THE VERY GOOD NEWS:  A giant round of applause to Pikes Peak Travelland, Pull-Rite hitches AND Rvforum.net !!

A top to bottom inspection has confirmed that there were no structural damages to our 5th wheel.  With new brakes all around the only damage to the RV is small radiating cracks in the fiberglass, at the site of impact.  We've been advised to have a body shop take care of these.  If it won't worsen, we will wait until Spring to take care of the cosmetics.

Pikes Peak sent detailed photo's and descriptions of the damaged hitch to Pull-Rite.  It was determined that the hitch is a total loss.  Pull-Rite agreed to overnight deliver a brand new hitch and spared us the additional shipping costs for quick delivery.  It will be installed tomorrow, INCLUDING the trailer plate on the king pin.

Rvforum has given us a format to share our story with others, in it's entirety, including naming the delaership.  We appreciate the support and valuable insights we have gained here and hope that those who have read our story have learned  something from our experiences.  Although we were silenced, in another rv forum, for giving the dealerships name, we remain dedicated to sharing the facts our mistakes and of our experience....Thank you RVforum for the freedom to do so under the safety of your umbrella.

THE NOT SO VERY GOOD NEWS:

Many attempts, over the past week, at resolving our issues with the dealer have fallen short of our expectations.  While acknowledging some responsibility for hooking up our trailer incorrectly he is unwilling to give creedence to the severity of the damages caused by his employees and the harm that could have ensued.  He claims no liability for the brakes that were not inspected or functioning when we left his lot and finally, he has declined to take moral or financial responsibility.  We have also just learned that we can file a complaint with the "Dealers Licensing Board" for the State of Colorado, a step that will insure that he will  conduct business in a consistently legal  manner or his dealerships will be closed.

AND THE OTHER GOOD NEWS:

With our rig nearly ready to roll,  armed with newly acquired knowledge and awarness, we are happily anticipating our winter journey, once again!!  We will find a warm place to camp and have the damage to our truck repaired while we are safely out of "snows way".  We will put this behind us and enjoy our new RV and our adventures.  When winter is over and we return home we will file a lawsuit against the dealership.  We accept the possibility that we could lose, but we have been assured, (by those who are wiser on legal issues than we are), that we have a leg to stand on...maybe even two!!  We'll take our chances.

CHEERS!!

StarsInOurEyes
David, Katy and the Big Pooooooooooo

When winter is over and we return home we will file a lawsuit against the dealership.  We accept the possibility that we could lose, but we have been assured, (by those who are wiser on legal issues than we are), that we have a leg to stand on...maybe even two!!  We'll take our chances.
I suggest you speak with an attorney about delaying the filing of the lawsuit. There may be implications to you using the rig before notice is given.

On the lighter side...

I heard a story of a RV manufacturer sending out a motorhome with the power awning rain sensor wired backwards.  he delivery driver didn't notice that the awning had gone OUT when it started to rain until after he had knocked down 4 street signs and practically ripped the awning off of the side of the camper.

Back the the facts...

Your collision coverage should cover your damages.  And your insurance company can do the work of going after the negligent RV dealership for their part in this whole ordeal.  In insurance terms it called sublimation I think.  That's where your insurance company pays for the repairs and goes after the other guys insurance to get reimbursed.

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEE :D

Our adventure has begun!!  Saturday the new Pull-Rite hitch was installed and we got a phone call from the dealer that our rig was ready to roll.  The tech guys gave us a thorough education in using our new hitch, and every feature on our RV.

The first corner that we turned we cringed as the front corner of the 5er neared the cab and then ....  WALA ....  we marveled at how smooth and precise our new hitch is!!  After the first few corners we relaxed and knew that the Pull-Rite would do the right thing, (and the left thing), just the way it should.

Sunday morning we headed South into New Mexico.  Our objective for the day was to get far enough S. that we could see no more snow on the ground.  Well, there's evidence of snow but today we're going even further.  The trailer tows like a dream, and while it will take a little getting used, we're taking it nice and easy!! 

HOT SPRINGS HERE WE COME!!

StarsInOurEyes

Amazing story!!! How in the world can the dealer not accept responsibility for selling you a trailer when the brakes weren't functional? They set the hitch up, they are responsible for it being done right or wrong, wether they sold the hitch or not they set it up for you and assured you that it was done correctly. If you haven't done this yet, start a log, write down each date, who you spoke to and what the result was, get all names and photos from dealer that did the fix.  By your description I thought the rear of the cab must have been really tore up, must not have been to bad if they fixed it so fast. I don't think I would wait for filing a law suit, sooner the better, shows you are serious. I would send the original dealership a certified letter describing your actions. Let them know you have consulted legal advice and you have a solid case. By now you have a dollar amount of what all this has cost you and what you want to settle, give them this total and give them 72 hours to agree in writing to the amount or you will follow with legal action and in such case they will be responsible for your legal fees as well. I have resolved many situations this way. Once they know you aren't going to go away they will see the light, if not make sure you follow through with what you claimed. May God bless you and the rest of your trip as he surely did at the begining.
Camp On

So very glad that you were not injured and that the damage to your rig is being corrected.  More importantly I am so happy that this horrendous experience has not turned you off/away from RV'ing. You sound like you still have a posative attitude and outlook and with that I'm sure you will enjoy many years of happy travels. 

I also am very new to RV'ing and had my own dealership experience.  $20.00 to tell me that my propane tank was not connected tightly enough and that's why we smelled propane.  Then, IF I had agreed to the repair it would have been a $200.00 bill for them to remove my furnace to diagnose and repair....IT WAS A RESET BUTTON  that kept the furnace from working!  If I hadn't been heading to Florida and warmer weather I would have had the repair done...$200.00 for them to push a button  and I bet no one would have told me that that was all that was wrong with it.  (Camping World in Brunswick, Ohio) 
Thanks for sharing  your story and being corageous enough to tackle the mountains in Colorado in the winter...I'll be there (Denver) in May and I'm scared without the snow!  Good Luck and God Bless you in your travels and legal matters.
Pam

Back
Top Bottom