Undecided: spend on a newer RV or go cheap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should also factor the added diesel maintenance cost into the equation, DEF, costlier oil changes, etc.  In addition it is important to remember that Sprinters are on a 11,030 pound GVWR chassis vs typically 13,500 - 14,500 for a gasoline powered class C, and small class A's start out at around 17,000 pound GVWR these days and to up to at least 22,000 pounds GVWR.

ArdraF said:
I don't recall if anyone mentioned it, but diesel usually costs more than gas.  There for a while this summer they were pretty close but I noticed this week that the gap has widened again.

ArdraF

True in most of the USA perhaps but here in Canada, at least in Quebec, Montreal region, Diesel fuel is still cheaper than gasoline. FWIW!!

In Much (all) of the US diesel is taxed at a higher rate than gasoline, so ends up costing more at the pump most of the time.

Bobetpine said:
I just did the math today. Let's say that a gallon of gas is 3$ (or that's the price it will be by the time I retire). Let's say 6000 miles for our first winter and 7 MPG. It means 857 gallons or 2571 USD worth of gas.
Wow.

So it would be about half that price for a 24F Mercedes based class C since you said that they're in the low to mid teens.

Having some real estate in your MH costs big bucks!
As much as we would like for it to be, RV travel is not FREE.  It does cost something to travel.

If I was to drive the 6000 miles for a 3 week vacation, then I would be really concerned about the $2571 for gas. 

Driving 6000 mile for a 6 month trip then that is about $430 a month. 

Just try driving your car at 30 MPG, stay in hotels/motels eating almost all your meals in restaurants for $430/month.  You do have to add in the cost of staying at RV Parks or state parks, but still it is far less expensive than motels and restaurants.  As far as RV Parks, to be more economical, stay for a month.  It is far less expensive than the daily or weekly rent. 

You need to add in that you will be sleeping in your own bed, your own kitchen, your own bathroom.  No lugging in luggage into strange motels etc. 

When you travel, you need to look at the cost of the travel, minus what you would have spent by staying home.  It costs you something to stay home. Utilities, food, gas, etc.  Yes you will spend that money while traveling, but you want to look at the additional cost of the travel and not just the total cost of the trip.

Is it possible the cost of travel is beyond what you have to spend?  If so maybe traveling isn't for you.

You don't have to travel 6000 miles.  It is POSSIBLE to go places and see things w/o driving so far. 

AStravelers said:
You don't have to travel 6000 miles.  It is POSSIBLE to go places and see things w/o driving so far.
Thanks for the comments.
Since we live up north, travelling at least 3000 miles (return) is a minimum if we want to spend the winter months wearing shorts.
:)

AStravelers said:
As much as we would like for it to be, RV travel is not FREE.  It does cost something to travel.

Is it possible the cost of travel is beyond what you have to spend?  If so maybe traveling isn't for you.

That's a good question.
The answer isn't simple. Let's say I'd like to have more money set aside. But then who doesn't? Approaching my retirement years I get anxious to think that instead of piling up cash I'm going to draw down cash. That makes me nervous but from what I read, this is common among retirees. I guess it explains why I'm so concerned about not overspending. I don't have a generous defined benefit pension plan that will cover all my expenses for the rest of my life, starting at 55. I have to rely on the money I set aside while working and as opposed to DBPP, this is a finite amount.

On a side note, being overwhelmed by the possible problems that you can encounter when buying an RV I looked at RENTING an rv for 5 months, just to know if it's for us.
They want 25K for 5 months! (Canadream)

I guess we'll buy a used one and sell it the year later if we don't like it.

You have gotten lots of good advise so far. I do want to comment on a couple of subjects.

"On a side note, being overwhelmed by the possible problems that you can encounter when buying an RV I looked at RENTING an rv for 5 months, just to know if it's for us.
They want 25K for 5 months! (Canadream)"
That is steep but why not rent one for a long weekend or a week. That would give you some hands on experience. Riley it isn't as hard as some make out.
On  the question of having a toad. Don't be without one. ;) I don't know what  cars you have now but it would be a good time to start researching if you have one that can be towed 4 down. Remco makes towing accessories.
  http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/
If they say it isn't towable I would keep looking. Using a tow dolly is another option but does add another level of complexity. https://cartowdolly.com/
I used one for a couple of years and would again if it was the only way to have a toad with me. You give up over 80% of what you can see and do with out a toad.

Gas today in Texas is $2.06 Diesel $2.29. I just got back from a 4400 mile trip to the North East and it was during the fake shortages from the hurricane. The most I paid was $2.88 on I-95 in Main, I would say the average was around $2.66.
Most of the time you aren't driving the coach every day and it doesn't use any fuel when it is sitting. I like to say I park my condo and take my toad and go explore. RV 8.5-9 MPG Toad 30+ MPG. Which one do you want to drive sight seeing?
I recommend you look hear so you can have a idea of what different coaches are selling for and to see different floor plans. https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale
I would get their free booklet on buying a Motorhome.
Later if you are interested I have a list of apps that are useful on the road.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom