Uneven Tire Wear On New Rv After 11K Miles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almostgone

Purchased a new 2013 Keystone Outback 277RL TT in February, 2013. We took it on a 1000 mile break-in trip and all seemed well, other than the usual 100 minor problems that new RVs seem to have, worst of which was the shower door shattering 10 minutes after my wife took a shower. Was able to fix all the rest myself.

We then embarked on a 10,000 mile trip. About 8000 miles into the trip I started to notice the curb side tires were showing excessive wear on the outside of the tires. Both tires are showing the same amount and area of wear. I am very diligent about keeping tires inflated exactly as specified and use a tire monitor system on the trailer. I do periodic checks of the wheels for loose bearing, etc...

I am now a ping-pong ball being bounced between Keystone and Camping World (where I purchased the trailer). Camping World does not have the equipment to deal with this type of problem so Keystone tells me to take it to another "authorized" Keystone dealer. Ha Ha Ha!! I can't even get another dealer to do the necessary analysis, let alone fix it. So I called Keystone back... They have yet to get back to me.

So has anyone else had this type of tire wear and what did you find as the cause. My first thought is a bent axle, but both tires, front and back on the same side, are wearing exactly the same. Seems a little unlikely that both axles would be bent the same amount. HELP!!

Could well be bent axle, especially if there is no corresponding inner tire wear on the other side. That pretty much rules out a skewed axle. Few dealers can handle frame and axle problems, so ask Keystone to authorize a frame shop to look at it. Or better yet, drag it back to Indiana if you can, and let Keystone deal with it! Or maybe Keystone can direct you to a shop authorized by their frame manufacturer (Lippert?), since they don't actually build the trailer frame/axles themselves.

But if its bent, the question becomes was it factory fault, delivery to the dealer, or did you hit something in that 11,000 miles. Yeah, you are probably sure you didn't, but how could they know? Few people would admit it if they did.

I am a always reading of possibly bent axles.  What are the various ways one can bend their axle?

Bruce

I did have an additional question.  I have Trailer King ST Radial ST 225/78R15 tires on the trailer.  Being radials, can I rotate side to side as well as front to back?  I have always heard that you can not rotate a radial such that it changes original direction of rotation?

nomad297 said:
I am a always reading of possibly bent axles.  What are the various ways one can bend their axle?

Bruce
I wondered the same thing, then I saw people turning too sharp and  both wheels bouncing  over the curb.

nomad297 said:

Bruce

A big enough pot hole at sufficient speed will do it.  Overloaded trailer.  Backing at extreme angles.  Axle hangs up on curb, boulder protruding from the ground, etc.  Improper jacking.  Sudden violent blowout.  I'm sure there are others.

And unless you can prove it left the factory like that, you're unlikely to get anything other than a courtesy adjustment on the cost of repair....and that's if they're feeling generous.  As above, NOBODY (or damn few) will admit banging it up themselves. 

How can you tell if you have a bent axle?  I know that in some cases it would be obvious, but how or what would you check to be sure your axle is not bent?  Is it normal to have a very slight bow upwards graduating from the ends to the center?  If I lay a 4' level across the center of my axles, I can see a slight bow upwards in the center of both of them, both to the same degree.  It is very slight and they are both identical. Is this normal?  I have about 1,000 miles on the tires and I see no signs of wear at all. 

Bruce

I have done some Googling since my previous post and have found out that the axles are supposed to be bowed up the way I described mine as being.  I would still like to know how one checks for a bent axle that isn't obviously bent.

Bruce

They put a magnetic camber meter on the wheel hub. It shows how many degrees of camber you have. Usually your do not bend the axle, you bend the spindle and the axle has to be replaced. Good luck

Wayne and Donna

Just talked to Keystone rep...  He says the first step is to do measurements of stringer positions, axle positions, etc... USING A TAPE MEASURE!!!
I would estimate that IF I had an axle skew, it would be on the order 1/2 inch, maybe 1 inch at most.  We gonna find this with a tape measure over 30 feet... with stuff in the way!  He said it should take about 10 minutes.  All of the points of reference, to be used in the required measurements, are within the thermal barrier.  This means undoing the thermal barrier, then putting it back.  This ain't gonna end well.  I suggested taking it to a truck alignment shop... deer in the head lights!  We gotta do tape measure first.  I LOVE KEYSTONE! 

One technique is to use a cord of some sort rather than the typical kinky tape measure. The cord can be draped, taped in place, etc. to get a more accurate distance, then take the cord down and measure it with the tape. Just be careful not to stretch the cord - some can easily stretch that 0.5"!  A piece of small gauge wire is flexible yet doesn't stretch easily.

The frame shop would have to do the same things that you are going to do - get access to reliable reference points to measure both sides and compare. No magic - just work (plus the experience to know how to get an accurate measurement).

almostgone said:
I did have an additional question.  I have Trailer King ST Radial ST 225/78R15 tires on the trailer.  Being radials, can I rotate side to side as well as front to back?  I have always heard that you can not rotate a radial such that it changes original direction of rotation?

As long as the tires are not unidirectional (marked with something like ROTATION >>>>>>), they can be put in any position, rolling in any direction.

First, measure the distance between front and back spindles on each side. If they are the same I doubt there is a bent axle. Have you ever had wheels off the ground for leveling or working underneath or even dropped in a ditch while maneuvering? If so check for suspension bits that may have traveled past center while suspension was in full droop, and then went the wrong way when lowered. Compare what the spring hangers look like from one side to the other.

Trailer is a bumper pull? Measure from spindle to hitch or to the A frame tongue joint. may have to remove wheels and dust cover to get access.
When I built my dune buggy, I had to cut a classic Beetle frame in half, remove 14 1/2" and weld it back together. All I used was a tape measure and a level to align the front half with the rear half. I got all 4 spindles within 1/16"-1/8" The wheel alignment was within specs when checked. Measure as many times as it takes to get repeatable measurements for each measurement. You will need a helper. Remember the hook on the end of the tape has movement, so every measurement MUST be made the same way. Either pulling on the hook or pushing the hook end to remove the slack. I chose to push the hook in rather than pull on it.

Here's hoping that it's just a flipped suspension bit. If you are truly handy, and safety conscious, you can try fixing it yourself. Hook the hitch to your tow vehicle for added stability. Jack it up while watching flipped bit, when it gets to center of travel, flip it the other way. Use pry bar, or hammer. Here's the safety part. Don't knock it off the jack stands prying or wailing on it with the hammer. Think cause and effect before any strenuous hammering or especially prying. Prying toward left or rite is more apt to topple than fore and aft, because you have it hooked up to your T/V, right?
There are topics that cover this, here somewhere, other peoples words will help clarify the picture for you.

Bill

It's not unusual for trailer axles to need aliagnment now and then. I just had mine done with 5000 miles on them because I noticed outer shoulder wear and was leaving for 7 months and 10k miles of snowbirding. My farme shop guy told me he sees brand new trailers that need aliagnment. Mine were out on caster and camber. They accually bend the axles to correct. A good frame shop should be able to help you out. Cost me $200. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom