Unhappy With Our "Dump Station" Protocol - How to Remedy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

Hello, everyone, and thanks for your time and consideration.

I'm unhappy with our "dump station" protocol, and would like to make it better/more efficient. 

I bought a RhinoFlex setup that I generally do like.  Unfortunately, when I snake it into the bumper for storage, it's a really tight fit, and almost impossible to get back out again.  In addition to being tight diameter-wise, it has to be rotated/tilted for the hexagonal end cap to fit into the square hole in the bumper...more touching/manipulating/contact than I really want to have regularly with our sewer hose. 

A) I've looked for an end-cap that has a "loop" of sorts that I could get my fingers around to pull the hose out easily, but can't find such a creature. 

B) I've looked for a narrower sewer hose setup (not skinny...just somewhat narrower), but haven't found that yet either. 

C) I've seen people use a tupperware box with ALL of their dump station items in it, including the hose.  Seems efficient, but perhaps a bit on the unsanitary side?  We've got a small TT, and I'd have to keep it in the basement right underneath our bed, which doesn't thrill me. 

Any recommendations or easy fixes that I'm not considering? 

I have the same dilemma with the hose in the steel bumper.  The inside is rusty and I don't want to chafe a hole in the hose.  I am going to mount a piece of 4" PVC across the bumper mounts with a clean out on each end to store the hose and also be able to open both ends to wash out.

A home-made solution might be in order, as you suggested...

I looked online at sewer hose holders, but most of the reviewers have the same complaints...that with the end fittings attached (who really wants to screw and unscrew those, then have to store them separately?), the hoses just don't fit well in those external storage tubes. 

I'd strongly prefer a method that doesn't involve drilling holes in the bumper...maybe some type of plumber's PVC strapping.  Heck...zip ties would probably work too. 

My TT is low to begin with...I'll need somewhat of a "tie" method that would enable the tube to move/slide to some extent instead of destroying the bumper, in the event that it scrapes on a low spot. 

Once you get yours figured out, we'd be appreciative if you're willing to share.  Thanks! 

I used zip ties to attach 4" PVC pipe to my bumper.  It works fine except I wish I would have used 6" PVC.  4" is too tight, so I will be upgrading to a 6" shortly.

Not to be a wise a** but have you tried disposable nitrile gloves? ???
That's what I use whenever toilet situations arise... ie. cleaning, repairs, hooking up, unhooking waste lines etc. :p

Keith

I use a Rubbermaid bin. Couple the hose ends together before storage, nothing unsanitary about it.

Use a bin here as well.  Since you purchase a Rhino hose you must have the two end caps that come with the hose.  Put those on before placing in the bin and you are good to go.  I also use rubber gloves and keep hand sanitizer in my storage area as a final paranoid step.  Been doing this for years with no issues.

We had a spare vinyl fence post 5" square. Nicely ventilated because of the holes for fence slats! It is zip tied to the bumper. Holds the hose and fittings without any effort on our part.

Yup, the 5" fence post works great.  Top cap glued on one end and a small bungy over the other top cap.  I slid a piece of vinyl gutter inside and I can pull it out if anything gets stuck...

I had a bit of surface rust in my bumper, and treated it with some of that rust treatment stuff, like this
https://www.walmart.com/ip/16652306?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227009788622&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=65572339128&wl4=pla-92083198608&wl5=9011488&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=16652306&wl13=&veh=sem
then I tied a zip tie around my hose and let it hang slightly out of the rubber cap to hold it in place and to serve as a handle to pull it out. 
A jurry-rig, but it works ok

Fence Post or Pipe.. you can cut down a piece of PVC rain gutter, to fit.. and make a Tray for the hose ?

I did.. Screwed a drawer knob on the end, makes a good pull handle ?

I own a fence company. You can get the post in 4 colors to match your trailer too. if you get one from a fence company, you can get it as we call it blank, with no holes precut in it, they should be in the 25 to 30 dollar range including caps

After leaving the elbow at a campground and struggling with it a few times I decided to just leave it connected.

I carry it in a milk crate.  Dump black first, then grey so hose is pretty clean.  Disconnect from RV and drain before removing from dumpsite.  Then just coil into milk crate.  It airs and drys.

Yelp it sits in the open crate in the storage area under our bed.  I've never detected an odor in the storage compartment.

Attachments

• sewer.jpg
    sewer.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 28
My used fifth wheel came with a 5 gallon bucket. Hose coiled nicely into the bucket and any liquid in it air dries or drains into bucket.

I use a Rubbermaid bin stored in the cargo area also. When I get a chance I leave it open in the sun so everything dries out. My adapters and see through valve fitting wouldn't fit in a bumper anyway.

Wear gloves! I buy them in boxes of 100 and toss them after each use. I even have a pair of dedicated sneakers I slip on and off just for use at the dump station. They never see the living area of the RV.

I also use two Rubbermaid bins to hold my two RhinoFlex sewer hoses.  I normally only use one, however i have the second one is set up with couplers so I can use it as an extension if I need it.  I keep a spray bottle with a water Clorox mix in it if I want to spray the outside of the containers when I suspect I might have contaminated the outside of the containers, however that rarely happens.  I like the RhinoFlex because they can be contracted easily when the hose is cold so they can be made to fit into the containers.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 20
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member