unhook when parked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you travel a lot, keep in mind that that 2nd engine can be used to drive somewhere to get help for roadside emergencies instead of being stranded.

Regarding the TV, a car that CAN tow that weight doesn't mean it is MEANT to tow that weight. We use my wife's Equinox, which is rated at 3500lbs to tow my boat, which is maybe 1300-1500lbs with equipment and it pulls fine, but the engine struggles so much that her mileage is cut in half from 20-24 down to about 12. My Buick Lesabre has a little bigger engine (3800 Series II) and it can manage 16-17mpg. While the dealer rates it at 1500lb capacity, it pulls much better than the Equinox. The only reason we use the Equinox is because my wife doesn't want to drive "a grandma car".

I have been towing a 20.5' single axle KZ with my 2015 VW Touareg which is basically the same vehicle as the Q7 or the Cayenne with the diesel.  As long as I kept the speed around 70 mph, sway was not too bad even without WDH and anti-sway.  As long as you empty all the liquids from the trailer and have a WDH you should be fine with any trailer under 5K dry that has tandem axles towing with your Q7.  To answer your original question, it takes the wife and me 15-20 minutes to unhook and setup, but for overnighters, we may or may not unhook depending on circumstances.

Not to hijack your thread, but the wife and I just went through a similar thought process.  We went to the Tampa RV show last weekend planning on upgrading to something like you are talking about and even buying her a Q7 so we could take the boat and the TT to some destinations.  We had several picked out to revisit until she fell in love with the floorplan of a 34.5' Gulfstream Innsbruck.  Still have the VW, but now we are the proud owners of an F150 with max towing package and pretty much max everything else.  The darn thing cost more than most Q7's.  I am guessing this has never happened to anyone else on this forum. ;).

ez3putt said:
Still have the VW, but now we are the proud owners of an F150 with max towing package and pretty much max everything else. 

What engine? I had a buddy that started with an F150 ecoboost. He said it struggled uphills sometimes, so he upgraded to the F150 with the 5.0, then he said it was a little dicey in the wind with a 30ft 5th wheel. He upgraded the next year to an F250 and still didn't like how it towed, so when he came across an F350 for under $30k, he traded his F250 again and now he is finally happy towing his TT.

ez3putt said:
but now we are the proud owners of an F150 with max towing package and pretty much max everything else.  The darn thing cost more than most Q7's.  I am guessing this has never happened to anyone else on this forum. ;).
;D ;D  I am surprised you found a loaded up F150 with Max Tow that had the payload for such trailer, and as said above, sure is long for said truck.  Keep it slow when it's windy outside.  Please come back and give us 'real world' experiences after you have towed it.  :))

Roy M said:
An F-150 was a 'bit dicey' in the wind with a 30' fifth wheel? Yikes!! That is likely an understatement. Now back to the regularly scheduled program.
I think the problem is that people only look at the manufacturer's tow rating as a number, not the circumstances of what or how they are towing it. I see it all the time. Heck, I have seen some people try to pull a TT with a 4cyl crossover because "the receiver says its rated for 5000lbs" even when the actual rating on the sticker in the door says that its only 1000-1500lbs.

Just because you "can" do something, doesn't mean you should.

We owned and operated a hitch tow trailer with a weight distribution hitch for many years and hated every time that I had to hitch or unhitch. It is a hassle and can be dangerous if not done correctly so it became something that I avoided. Short answer, yes you can park and unhitch. Longer answer, will you; probably not unless you have to....

We went from a hitch tow to a 5th wheel and enjoyed the ease of hitching and unhitching. After another eight years or so, we went into a class A. The class A was good to use but the size was always an issue. Currently we have a class C and I think we have found our treasure. The smaller size and convenience is exactly what we enjoy and we will be running the roads for years to come in our 29' class C.

I understand the desire to reduce the number of motor vehicles that require maintenance, the answer lays in how often you use it. Occasional use, travel trailers and 5th wheels are probably best. If you are a road warrior, class A or C seem to work best for us.

"I hated hooking and unhooking that cumbersome weight distribution hitch"

Check your Audi Q7 owners manual/ Dealer, Correct me if I am wrong, most Mfg?s of small SUVs that are Uni body don?t recommend towing anything that requires a WDH. ,For WDH you need a TV That has a separate FRAME and  body for strength.

Roy M said:
An F-150 was a 'bit dicey' in the wind with a 30' fifth wheel? Yikes!! That is likely an understatement. Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

lol
I tow a 25' 5th wheel and 16' boat behind my F150. I have no issues. The only effect wind has is mpg.

Hanr3 said:
lol
I tow a 25' 5th wheel and 16' boat behind my F150. I have no issues. The only effect wind has is mpg.

WYDOT will close I-80 to high profile trailers, when wind conditions warrant, due to blow over risk.

I?ll wager your rig would be a handful on east-west I-80 in the UT west desert with south winds at 25, gusts to 45  ;)

On one night stopovers we dont usually unhook unless we want to site see, go grab dinner, etc.  A lot of times I will "three point" the trailer which is putting the nose jack and the rear stabilizers down.  I will chock the rear drivers wheel as a reminder to myself that we are three pointed.  I always try to disconnect the power cord from the vehicle to the trailer.  The vehicles battery shouldn't get drained but it is easy insurance.

Hanr,

You are the exception to most rules!!  I would NEVER make a carte blanche statement approving towing A FW with a ? ton truck, and absolutely not double tow!!  However, you did an exceptional job of doing your homework, ordered a special truck, properly equipped for the task, plus a carefully selected FW to keep everything within weight  and length limits and a tow that kept you under length limits. 

Very few people will put in the effort to do what you did, and their results will likely be much different!

I will wager one better that 1/2 ton double towing will either brake or use up transmissions or brakes or coolant systems way way faster than an appropriate 3/4ton or 1ton truck just cause you can tow it doesnt mean the parts will last as long

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom