Unique Air Mattress - replacement needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaleandKarla

We have a 2008 Winnebago Itasca Latitude, which we purchased a year and a half ago. Instead of a true jack knife fold out bed, it has an air mattress. It's a unique design that has a thinner section that rests on and velcros to the sofa part and a thicker section that inflates out from the sofa. We like it, but it is losing air and I can't seem to find the source of the leak. It may be in the valve? I haven't had any luck finding a replacement air mattress or valve for this particular unique design. Maybe someone out there has had better luck than me?
Thanks all!
Dale and Karla

I don't have any direct knowledge of that particular air mattress. The Sleep Number bed in our former Horizon never leaked but two different sets of controllers broke so we replaced it with a traditional mattress. Recommend you disassemble whatever you need to so you can access the air hoses and pump. There's probably a check valve somewhere that could be leaking - it could even be integral to the air pump.

Does that bed fold up? Ours was fixed so replacing the mattress was fairly simple.

I don't have any direct knowledge of that particular air mattress. The Sleep Number bed in our former Horizon never leaked but two different sets of controllers broke so we replaced it with a traditional mattress. Recommend you disassemble whatever you need to so you can access the air hoses and pump. There's probably a check valve somewhere that could be leaking - it could even be integral to the air pump.

Does that bed fold up? Ours was fixed so replacing the mattress was fairly simple.
Thanks John,
This is a true stand alone air mattress that is completely separate from the sofa. It folds up/rolls up and stores inside the sofa. The pump is a completely separate unit that plug in to inflate the mattress. It's just unique in that one end of the air mattress lays over the couch and velcros in place and the other 3/4s of the mattress is very thick to make it level. I haven't seen anything like it and it's not clear from the Winnebago parts list for my RV - who makes it, a part number, or anything like that.
We have a sleep number mattress in the bedroom, which has had it's own issues, but we got those resolved.
I haven't called them yet - maybe that's the next step.
Thanks again,
Dale

Dale and Karla,
The mattress is 14 years old. The half life of elastomers (rubber like stuff) is about 10 years. But, before you give up, put it out on the lawn and get a small pump up kind garden sprayer load it with bubbly dish soap and spray the whole mattress. If you don't see bubbles right away inflate it more and get a cold beer. You might not get big bubbles, but if you see champaign like bubbles in a little clump, that is it. If you see those little bubbles all over the place, give it up. The mattress was stored too hot at some point and it is done.
Matt - He used to inspect life rafts for sailboat racers

Thanks Matt - yes, agreed, we may be asking a lot of a 14 year old mattress. I will say it did work very well for us for the handful of guests who stayed over several nights over the last several months. It does not appear like it's been used a ton - no obvious wear or fading. I did the dish soap thing with the full mattress and initially detected a few bubbles by one of the valves. I cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, which seemed to fix it, but the slow deflation is still there. The search continues...
Thanks again,
Dale

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom