Unplug shoreline prior to starting generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They very well could be, but since I've never been to Canada,
I have RVed in Canada as have many others here and have an electrical background but your comment about only posting what you know is the reason that I differed with the post immediately following yours that calls you the same name that he called me. Some folks here do show ignorance, but you are not one of them. :)

I have RVed in Canada as have many others here and have an electrical background but your comment about only posting what you know is the reason that I differed with the post immediately following yours that calls you the same name that he called me. Some folks here do show ignorance, but you are not one of them. :)
Thank you sir, I appreciate that.

I usually shut everything down before a power transfer. Maybe it's not necessary, maybe some things are, others aren't, but it really is pretty simply to walk through an RV and turn off three power switches.
Once, for seemingly no reason, the shore to generator transfer popped a c/b on the jenny. However, that is exactly what circuit breakers and fuses are intended to do, so no harm either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with the time delays built into modern air conditioners is they do not always register the power transfer or react fast enough.

Someone mentioned the possibility of 240 volts for like 1/120th of a second.. Ever hook a scope to your house power and see what happens when a 'Big Ticket" item like an air conditioner cuts out (I have) What I'm concerned with is not 240 volts for 1/2 cycle but a spike of over a thousand when the A/C compressor and blower are cut off by a non-protected ATS relay.. Welding the same. Happened to me. (Under warranty_)

Commercial installations monitor the phase of both sources and only change from one to another when both of them are in phase with each other
Apologies for going off at a tangent, but Lou's comment reminds me of working in a power station in my early electrical training days. When a steam turbine-driven 'generator' (they were actually alternators) was brought online, we'd be monitoring the phase difference; If the generator wasn't in phase with the others that were already running as we threw the switch, we'd hear a loud 'bang' and feel a 'thud' in the building as it was instantaneously 'dragged' in phase (sync) with the others.

Folks, let's quit the personal comments/jabs. I've already removed some disparaging comments in this thread, and I'd hate to have to shut it down.

Apologies for going off at a tangent, but Lou's comment reminds me of working in a power station in my early electrical training days. When a steam turbine-driven 'generator' (they were actually alternators) was brought online, we'd be monitoring the phase difference; If the generator wasn't in phase with the others that were already running as we threw the switch, we'd hear a loud 'bang' and feel a 'thud' in the building as it was instantaneously 'dragged' in phase (sync) with the others.

That must have been quite the thud!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom