Unscientific Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only tme our grey tank stays open is when we're doing laundry.

Black tank 3/4 or more.  Or I fill it with the sprayer before draining.  Learned the hard way by creating the 'dreaded pyramid of poo'.

I get a kick out of watching an obvious "newbe" set up within 10 minutes of arriving at a campsite,,all the little things that point to it, and are difficult to discuss with said "newbe" that CAN BE touchy about it..1. Handling the potable water hose after handling the sewer hose 2. after hooking up the sewer hose opening both valves .3 rolling up the water hose and throwing into a bay without connecting the ends to keep it clean .4 Opening all the canvas and leaving for the day to sitesee. 5. Firing up the water heater and leaving it on day & nite as if he had tons of energy to burn as if he were home. .....just some musings over the years.

Oh oh. I still do some of those things.... Guess I'm a slow learner.  ;)

I'm still in my rookie season but I have to respectfully disagree about connecting hose ends together.  I think you are better off allowing the hoses to dry out as much as possible.  Capping a wet hose is asking for humidity and microbes to flourish.  I bought a plastic bin to throw my hose into.  I can pull the bin out to dry if necessary and the floor of my storage area gets minimal wetness.

OBX said:
I'm still in my rookie season but I have to respectfully disagree about connecting hose ends together.  I think you are better off allowing the hoses to dry out as much as possible.  Capping a wet hose is asking for humidity and microbes to flourish.  I bought a plastic bin to throw my hose into.  I can pull the bin out to dry if necessary and the floor of my storage area gets minimal wetness.
It may well be a case of "penny wise and pound foolish" but connecting the hose ends together keeps debris and critters out.  I'll take my chances with the "microbes" :D .

Care and cleaning of the fresh water hose is also part of my, before/between trips, water system sanitation procedures.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did experience my first ever "algae bloom" in my water heater on this current trip.  Evidently, I didn't do a real thorough job of the aforementioned sanitation process.  The hot water was the only side affected but, unfortunately, the recovery required a lot of bleach, dumping, and re-filing anyway.

When you shut down your refrigerator and the condensation builds up do you leave the doors open or closed?  Most people leave the doors opened.  I would think it is the same concept with a hose.  I'll take my chances with debris and critters....aka fiber and protein.

OBX said:
When you shut down your refrigerator and the condensation builds up do you leave the doors open or closed?  Most people leave the doors opened.  I would think it is the same concept with a hose.  I'll take my chances with debris and critters....aka fiber and protein.

there is a difference though, to consider
airflow
a rather large amount of airflow just from convection would flow through a fridge door cracked open, but air doesn't really flow through a hose,
so unless you're hanging the hose to really let it drain, it can take a very very long time to dry.

I left my hoses open for years.  For maybe the last year or a bit longer, I have been connecting them after reading the tip here in another thread.  I figured it makes sense to keep the roaches and the like out...

Honestly, I haven't done any lab work to study microbe levels, but I have noticed no difference at all either way.

Regardless I have always had the habit of flushing the hose before connecting it.... ie I run the hose bibb first to rinse it out, then connect the hose, then run water for at least several seconds through it to get air or dirt out, then I finally connect it to the RV

then when stowing, I have always drained the hose by laying the open end on the ground while I coil it slowly to let the bulk of the water drain

Capping the ends is probably more relevant to crawling bugs and loose dirt than any actual microbe growth. Enough air and sunlight may stop some germs, but many others won't care anyway. If that is your concern, you probably need to fill the hose with a chlorine solution to keep it pure. Or boil the hose before use.

I do connect my hose ends, mostly to keep additional things from getting inside when not in use. I have no expectation that this stops any microbes, existing or new. If the water supply doesn't have enough chlorine to kill them off, hopefully my body's defenses will be adequate (always have been!).

I Never Dump until needed.

I always leave the fridge doors ajar when not in use.

I do cap my hoses and flush them before attaching.

My fresh water hose is not kept in or near the dump tank compartment or valves.

I am in my rookie year as well and was told to hook up when I get to the site hookup the sewer hose and keep black tank closed and gray open. I as well have a sani flush system and will use that to clean the black tank and hose out. I probably will do it too long but it will be a learning experience. Also I have caps for my hoses and was told to cover as soon as I am done cleaning it out.

I am really learning a lot from reading the posts on this site and this was a great poll  ;D

Back
Top Bottom