Updating the shower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought about bending it but didn't think it would look right. In a normal tile install the tiles would butt together in the corner and be either grouted or siliconed. I thought of seam sealer as well but didn't think it would hold up as well in such a wet environment as a nice bead of silicone. Silicone sticks well to just about everything and holds up under daily use for a few years. In my seldom used RV shower it should be good for quite a while.  Only time will tell I guess.

shakenbake said:
I thought about bending it but didn't think it would look right. In a normal tile install the tiles would butt together in the corner and be either grouted or siliconed. I thought of seam sealer as well but didn't think it would hold up as well in such a wet environment as a nice bead of silicone. Silicone sticks well to just about everything and holds up under daily use for a few years. In my seldom used RV shower it should be good for quite a while.  Only time will tell I guess.

Excellent point about tile patterned vinyl. I never thought about that. What are the chances that the bends would occur at the "grout" line? Monochromatic vinyl might work for that, however, I would prefer a deeply embossed tile pattern.

One reason I pondered about seam sealer is it fuses to the vinyl instead of merely bonding. As long as the joint is secure and won't gap, I would think it would take a lot to cause the joint to fail (there I go, thinking again). The only thing I would use silicone for anymore is building aquariums (and I haven't done that in 20 years). I can remember when silicones were the best thing since the flush toilet but there are better adhesives out there now. The biggest problem with silicones is nothing will stick to them, including themselves. When it fails (as all sealants eventually will), it has to be thoroughly removed to get anything to stick in its place, a difficult task at best.

Can you tell me where you got the fixtures? Ive been looking for a nice set of fixtures like that.

I have mod the shower tub/pan to allow my DW to step in eaiser, due to a med. problem, but I did not think about the replacement door before I pulled the front .
Where did you get the folding door? I have been on a quest for a replacement door but only get prices in the $200 to $300 range to have one made.

Larry and Rita said:
Where did you get the folding door? I have been on a quest for a replacement door but only get prices in the $200 to $300 range to have one made.

X2 I love that shower door and am looking for one!!!!!

I found the fixture on eBay.

Here is a link to the shower door. 

http://www.tomraperrvparts.com/Shower-Doors-Curtains-1f0d18e4bb.dept

Really like your redo , going to use your ideas ! Can you give me more info on the "liquid epoxy coating " you used ? Is there a trick for laying down a perfect corner bead , did you remove or was there ever a window in your shower ? Thanks ! Skip

Back
Top Bottom