updating window trims in 2000 Discovery motor home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justcallfred

We have a 2000 Fleetwood Discovery 36' motor home.  Last year we replaced all the flooring.  Now it's time to redo the wall covering in the bedroom and bath.  Our windows have day/night shades and a fabric covered box trim around all 4 sides.  The cord for the shades attaches to the bottom of this box trim.  While we are replacing the wall coverings, we would like to update these window box trims.

Has anyone had success with re-designing these window box trims?  If so, please give me hints (do's and don'ts).  Did you recreate them in another material (wood, re-covering) or design something entirely new?

Thanks!

Hi justcallfred,

I am considering replacing the flooring in our 2000 Damon. If you could share what you did and how it worked that would be appreciated. I don't have anything to offer about window box trims, I guess we've grown accustomed to ours.

Thanks

We redid the interior on our 95 Holiday Rambler a few years ago to change it from green to a more neutral color.  The carpet was replaced and a new sofa installed along with dinette cushions.  Still we had these hideous green and mauve window valances.  Here's what I did:

Removed each valance.  They were screwed to the wall with little metal 90 degree anchors.  Then on the top, there were generally wood screws that screwed into the bottom of the cabinets that held them in place.  Yours may be different.

I took the valances apart.  Most of them had a top horizontal piece that had two 90 degree wooden pieces (for the down piece) screwed together.  Once apart, I removed all the old fabric.  I retained the foam rubber padding that was on the piece.  Then, we went to an upholstery store and bought some material that would better match the interior colors.  Using an air staple gun, I stretched and stapled the new material to the existing valances, then reassembled and reinstalled. 

It took a good while, but looked great.  I've attached a before pic of a valance and an after pic. 

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_2266.jpg
    Copy of IMG_2266.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2164a.JPG
    IMG_2164a.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 149
That looks awesome !!!
I can't wait to get home and start working on my interior.

Hi Justcallfred - I have a 1999 Discovery and am looking for remodel ideas.  I would be interested to see what you have done to yours so far.

Thanks

jcarpy said:
Hi Justcallfred - I have a 1999 Discovery and am looking for remodel ideas.  I would be interested to see what you have done to yours so far.

Thanks

jcarpy-

FYI, Justcallfred made one post in July and hasn't been back since, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a response.

A few before & after.  You can kinda see the valances.  From blue to brown.  Electric staple gun, original foam.

Attachments

• RV2S.jpg
    RV2S.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 70
  • RV9.jpg
    RV9.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 66
  • RV17.jpg
    RV17.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 60
  • RV18.jpg
    RV18.jpg