Upgrade solar panel on 2009 adventure 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medginton

I want to upgrade to a larger solar panel on my adventure 2009 32. I am told by Winn that the current wiring can handle at least 100 watts and I would like to use the ome wiring (pull off the old panel and wire in new panel. What else do I need to do??????
Thanks Mike E.

You would need to add a solar charge controller. The factory wiring is light for any thing over the existing 15 watt solar panel.  Do you want to charge the House Batteries or the Chassis Battery? It is currently wired to the House Batteries I believe. An inexpensive 100 watt panel and controller that people have had good luck with out here in the desert is Windy Nation.

<a href="http://www.windynation.com/products/solar/solar-panels/100-watt-solar-panel-complete-kit-rvs-boats-and-grid">Windy Nation 100 watt RV Kit</a>

Hi Mike - welcome!

See what size your solar panel circuit breaker is in amps, you could possibly get by with a 100 watt panel on existing wiring, but it might be close at peak panel output.

Solar panels are one of those things you can't have too many of - I would plan on two panels, new wiring and a charge controller.

Thanks for the come backs. I am only planning on 60 to 80 watts, this should be enough for what I want. My question now is if I can use the present wiring I want to just take the old 10 watt down and connect the new panel to the same connection. Where will I access the original wiring to place the controller?

Thanks Mike E.

medginton said:
Thanks for the come backs. I am only planning on 60 to 80 watts, this should be enough for what I want. My question now is if I can use the present wiring I want to just take the old 10 watt down and connect the new panel to the same connection. Where will I access the original wiring to place the controller?

Thanks Mike E.

You would want to locate it near the batteries. I would disconnect the existing wire at the battery, connect to the charge controller and then use 6 gauge wire from controller to batteries. You will also have to by pass the solar indicator and diode on the One Place panel.

John 1st thanks. Now, more info. - disconnect charge lite, just cut the wires and insulate? Solar wire connected to batteries, how do you ID it?

Thanks Mike E.

You can place the controller anyplace you wish.  You could mount the new controller where the charge light is, using the existing wires and eliminating the existing light. 

The mention of #6 ga wire and mounting the controller next to the batteries makes me think the solar controller was being confused with an inverter.  The controller for a 100w solar panel does not need heavier wire run to the batteries, and can be mounted wherever.  You will like the solar panel setup..!

DailyDriver said:
You can place the controller anyplace you wish.  You could mount the new controller where the charge light is, using the existing wires and eliminating the existing light. 

The mention of #6 ga wire and mounting the controller next to the batteries makes me think the solar controller was being confused with an inverter.  The controller for a 100w solar panel does not need heavier wire run to the batteries, and can be mounted wherever.  You will like the solar panel setup..!

I am an electrician and didn't confuse the charge controller with an inverter. Using the wrong size and length wire is the most common mistake in solar panel installations. Probably the best solution is to install the new panel with new 10 gauge wire through the refrigerator vent and then through the basement to within 6' of the batteries. Then mount the charge controller and go the rest of the way with 6 gauge wire. This will give you a good 3 to 4 amps of charge current in direct sun light.

I agree that the biggest mistake made in solar installs is too light wire.  Here's a handy calculator that will prevent that mistake from being made:
Wire Sizing Calculator

Using 5 amps, you could run 35' with 12ga wire and limit losses to 4% using this wire sizing calculator.  Using 6 ga wire with 4 amps, as you suggested, would allow a 170' run with a 12v system, which would be a bit overkill for the OP's purposes.  Of course, there is no downside to running heavier wire than needed except for cost and perhaps the extra difficulty of running a stiffer wire through some of the tight places one encounters in an RV. 

Hi guys!!!! I really want to thank both of you for the information. I'm fairly handy with tools and wiring, most of my experience comes hands on and reading, also college physics and I enjoy working with my hands. I'm a Rph by vocation so I really appreciate info from the experienced.

Mike E.  :)

Another thing to consider is the quality of the terminations. It is usually easier to make a quality crimp connection with a larger wire size and the same goes for lug connections as found on most charge controllers.

Back
Top Bottom