Upgrading spring shackles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired CSIGuy

Thinking about upgrading my OE spring shackles on my '10 KS Fuzion 383 FWTH.  Any recommendations on after market HD shackles?  Should I replace the springs also?

My initial question would be, why?

I've put tens of thousands of miles on toyhauler divers without having any shackle or spring issues. Changing either without a really good reason sounds like a lot of time, trouble and expense to solve a nonexistent problem.

Let us know why, in your case doing this may have some extremely valid advantages.

Trailers don't experience the same type of side loads as say the steering axle on a tow vehicle, so the spring shackles don't generally need to be upgraded. You could always have a set made by a good metal fab shop, but there isn't much point in having it done.

ttyR2 said:
Trailers don't experience the same type of side loads as say the steering axle on a tow vehicle, so the spring shackles don't generally need to be upgraded. You could always have a set made by a good metal fab shop, but there isn't much point in having it done.

No need to pay a fab to make up a set; heavy duty upgrades are available from many places. Just do a search on the internet. Upgrades typically include wet bolts, better bushings, and heavier duty shackles.

I've seen enough examples of factory shackles cracking bending, or wearing out the holes and of bushings failing to feel replacement of all shackles, bushings, etc., is well worth the expense. Reinforcement of the spring hangers and the frames where the hangers are mounted is also warranted. The side stresses are actually more than you would think, especially on multi-axle rigs when in a tight turn.

We're fulltimers and thus we comne into contact with lots of folks...and a lot of those folks have had trouble with the OE shackles and hangars...not so much with the springs themselves tho.  Talked to numerous people who have broken OE stuff on the Al-Can highway which is where we're headed next summer if all things work out.

Here is a link to what a lot of Carriage owners are going to. Its a wet bolt kit that allows you to grease the shackles.
http://www.morryde.com/aftermarket/running-gear/heavy-duty-shackle-kit-upgrade-23.html

Maybe you need to upgrade to a full coil-over independent suspension kit so you can cruise the baja at 60mph with your trailer :)

falconhunter said:
Here is a link to what a lot of Carriage owners are going to. Its a wet bolt kit that allows you to grease the shackles.
http://www.morryde.com/aftermarket/running-gear/heavy-duty-shackle-kit-upgrade-23.html

This is the same system that our 03 HH came with and after 9 years and 80K miles when I replaced the springs the shackles and wet bots were still good I just replaced the bushings.

Denny

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foogie
Back
Top Bottom