Upgrading to Led interior lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

StephenM

Hi folks,

I have done some research on Led lighting and the general consensus seems to be M4 products are the way to go, I need to change out about 20 assorted 1076 and 1141 bulbs.

I was all set to order from M4 and came across GRV in some blogs and forums with favorable recommendations. Pricing is more than half of M4.

Should I just bite the bullet and get M4 leds are try put a limited number or GRV leds.  All our trips so far have had 30amp hookup but would like to try boondicking for a few weekends.

Speaking to a buddy who has TT his recommendation
Is just to replace them as the old ones blow.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

I have changed to LEDS in my motorhome and in our main residence.
Just make sure you get the proper LED replacements, the proper watts and the proper lightening "like cool white" and buy at  the cheapest price and the cheapest shipping fees; they are probably all made from the same supplier.

Cheers Norman,

I have started to replace the ones in my house.

What brand did you get for your motorhome?
My wife said she wants them the same warmth as the existing bulbs.

Have you checked with the forum sponsor at the top of the page? The offer 10% to all forum members and have quite a through selection of  bulbs.

I sure have Sarge, that would it about 8$ a piece for a box if 10.

StephenM said:
Cheers Norman,

All of the existing models and brightness are available; you just have to pick the right ones.

I'm with legrandnormand - there is nothing special about LED lights in 2016. Years ago there would have been concerns about support circuitry, but that is all well sorted. I bought all of mine off ebay for around $1ea and they've been great for nearly two years. If they all failed tomorrow and I had to replace them, I'd do the same thing again. At that rate it'd take 16 years to have paid $8/light.

I replaced most of my overhead lights with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Warm-White-T10-BA15S-1156-LED-48SMD-Panel-Interior-Dome-Map-RV-Trailer-Light-/261700514519?hash=item3cee90f2d7:g:rWcAAOSwg3FUjVsj&vxp=mtr

They are VERY bright - one or two of these on lights the entire coach. They do get warm, so I replaced the light lenses with vented ones like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Progressive-RV-Trailer-Dome-Interior-Clear-Optic-Starburst-Light-Plastic-Lens-/231492818764?hash=item35e60c174c:g:9kEAAOSwNSxU8eae&vxp=mtr

I replaced most of the spot lights with these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Ship-2X-Car-Bulb-Lamp-White-LED-Turn-Signal-Light-G18-BA15S-67-5007-9LED-1156-/251363071037?hash=item3a8668143d:g:YJMAAOxy1RZSZi83&vxp=mtr

I think there is a thread around here where I discussed the cost and the energy savings - and a discussion ensued about the durability of "cheap ebay lights." ;)

StephenM said:
Cheers Norman,

Here is the place where I bought different LEDS : http://stores.ebay.com/extrapartss/

just changed mine, bought them on amazon, less than $1.50 each, no more hot fixtures.
Changed all the can lights in my house, I have all can lighting right at 100 of them, about $5 each, ouch, lowered my electric bill almost $150 a month, one of my boys leaves his lights on 24 hours a day, money well spent.  Bright white in the kitchen and cool white everywhere else, no more shadows, its like daylight when they are on at night and I live in the woods with no street lights.

I completely LED'd our last 5r. Started out with just the lighting we absolutely needed for Dry Camping. Then gradually changed out everything. Even the Tail/Marker lights*. LED prices were a lot higher then. Now'a days, Not so much.

Joe

* A Hint: On most (older) MH's & tow vehicles, if you change out a Thermal Flasher.. for a Electronic Flasher.. you won't need the Ballast Resisters.

I would not by the cheapest anything, even led bulbs. I have tried many different colors and rated lumens with the cheapest price being my main focus. I have learned better and now look for the best output (lumens) along with the color I want, then price shop. The cheapest ones on ebay are not what they claim them to be and the led's start burning out fairly soon. A good pair of 1156's are going to be between 10-15 dollar and should have better than 300 lumens for that price. If you like it not too bright in your coach then the cheaper ones will suffice but,  I like it bright

Deano2002 said:
I would not by the cheapest anything, even led bulbs. I have tried many different colors and rated lumens with the cheapest price being my main focus. I have learned better and now look for the best output (lumens) along with the color I want, then price shop. The cheapest ones on ebay are not what they claim them to be and the led's start burning out fairly soon. A good pair of 1156's are going to be between 10-15 dollar and should have better than 300 lumens for that price. If you like it not too bright in your coach then the cheaper ones will suffice but,  I like it bright

Ebay must love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I've completely replaced all LED's in two motor homes now. All purchased from the above advertiser; not the cheapest,  but I've got about eight years experience now and have NEVER had a single problem!  It's worth it to me to have the reliability.

Ernie

I changed out all the bulbs, inside and out with LEDs from M4.  I had an issue with the tail / brake lights.
They were back feeding at times into the running lights.  Simple solution was to install power diodes to the brake light wire in each tail light.  Problem solved.  Also had great customer service from M4.
Bad light, no problem.  Replacement shipped out same day.  If you have a question, call them, they really try to help.  See if you get that from E bay or Amazon.....

legrandnormand said:
LEDS are LEDS and they are probably built by the same Cie.  ;)

Matter of opinion. I have bought the cheaper LED's in the past with various results. All ending up with them ending up in the trash.
I'm no expert on the subject. But I will tell you this...
I have been changing my TT over to LED the past 3 years. Changing out 1141's to the Revolution 1141-300 bulbs. I have absolutely no complaint. The first set of 4 replaced works as well as the set replaced last summer.

I boondock 100%. All power comes from battery bank or genny. The bulbs I use really get put to the test. Others I have used usually started to flicker, lose color, etc.  Annoying as heck.

Have not had any of those problems since changing to the Revolution bulbs. It's your call. I have found that cheaper is not always better in the long run. Good luck.

I purchased a mixture of a dozen Grv warm white 1076 and 1141 for 35$ on Amazon. Just in time for my first dry camp.

Just fitted the leds.

I replaced 10 of the ceiling bulbs (have another 12 to go), I ordered another 10 pack and will replace those. One of the plastic light covers in the bathroom would not come off on a double fixture, I was stuck for time so will get this next time

I have 3 wall lamps, one in the "living room" and 2 in the bedroom, I had ordered 2 of these to see how they worked out.  The plan was to put them in the bedroom, they did not work at all in these fixtures, I put the old bulbs back in and they worked fine.  I then tried the living room fixture and it worked.  Like the bathroom one I will come back to the bedroom lamps.

I am going to leave the basement and outside lights until next year (if I bother replacing them at all).

Overall a good result. It was 26$ for a pack of 10 ceiling lights and 8$ for the lamps.

Quick note: Cheaper may well mean unregulated or with dropping resistor required. Regulated uses less current and will have more consistent light output.

Ernie

Back
Top Bottom