US Cell Phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know about the phone.

Still not understanding triple minutes for life!!  Help...:)

It just means that for the life of the phone (not your life), any minutes you buy for that phone are tripled, that is, if you buy a 60 minute card, you'll actually get 180 minutes to use.

LG840G was available online from Best Buy the last time I looked.  Pus, many other places.  If you do a Google you will be overwhelmed.  Plus, if you have a Wal*Mart nearby you can get one and have it shipped to your store free.  We've used that and it works well.

If I buy 60 minutes and it's tripled does that 180 minutes have to be used in a certain amount of time?  Example - one month?

From their website you will see that 30 minutes comes with 30 days, and 60 to 450 minutes comes with 90 days.  If you don't extend beyond those time frames, you lose any minutes left over.  That's why we buy a card that extends us a year, and why we have enough minutes to never run out.

Ed

It's the same time limit as the 60 minutes without the tripling. Many want 30, 60 or 90 days before they expire, unless you renew before the expiration, in which case whatever minutes you have remaining are usually extended to the next expiration date, along with the new ones.

Is this only for calling USA - USA?  If I call Canada it's long distance and takes up much more time?  I have MagicJack so don't need to use the cell often once we have wi-fi.

Tracfone have a 1-800 number for calling Canada (lots of digits needed!!) but this will all be explained in the booklet you receive with the service. When calling using the 1-800 number, the rate is the same as that of the USA calls. They also have an International Card now available but it is not needed on calls to Canada in my experience. I too use MagicJack.

Other companies (like AT&T, for example) raise the cents per minute (unit) rate on a Canada call from the USA on the pay as you go plans.

Tracfone allows up to 10 numbers to be used to call Canada, so I have just put my 3 kids home and cell numbers in, along with a few more that I call frequently, then they show up in my contact list and all I need to do is hit the contact name and it dials the 1-800 number seamlessly.

Ed

What Hfx_Cdn  describes is called "Frequent Numbers Service"  by Tracfone in which up to 10 US 1-800 numbers can be assigned to your frequently called Canadian numbers, not unlike a speed dial thing. They have another service called International Neighbours Service in which up to 10 Cdn 1-800 numbers can be set up so that your friends can call you on your cell phone at no cost to them and the normal unit cost (airtime) to you.

What I described previously is a basic way in which you can call any number in Canada where you dial a specific 1-800 number (the International Access Number) and then the Canadian number you wish to reach. These are all explained in the Service Guide booklet you get when you purchase the Cell phone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom