US Central & Northeast Trip Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ex-Calif

Hey all - A good buddy of mine wants us to attend the Motocross Des Nationals in Buchanan Michigan. I have been contemplating my first post retirement trip initially considering going out west again. But high on my bucket list is the northeast - like Bar Harbor.

Scratching it out I am thinking, Buchanan MI via Atlanta, Lexington and Cincinnati. I'd do a pull over rest stop on the way to Cincinnati and a couple days in Cinci to catch up with friends.

My brother is in process of moving from California to Montreal so I'd like to do Montreal - Will need to know all about international crossings in an RV, I guess. The options are to do Montreal before Bar Harbor or Montreal after Bar Harbor.

I am thinking to cross over and go via Toronto on the Canadian side. I have done the US side to Rochester so I pretty much know what is there.

So what is Winchester, Toronto, Montreal like - Will I find RV parks to stay at? Things to see and do on the way?

Coming back from Bar Harbor I would like to avoid the giant east coast cities but was thinking to thread my way into Ocean City Md and Morehead City NC before heading back to Florida.

Thoughts appreciated on the routing.

IN terms of timing Google maps calls it just on 60 hours of driving. When I do drive I have no problems doing 8 hours in the saddle. So travel days would be about 8 days, call it 10 for comfort.

3 days in Cinci, 4 days in Buchanann, 3 layover days on the way to Montreal, 3 days in Montreal, 4 days in the bar harbor area. 2 nights each for Ocean City and Morehead gives me 18 stop over days. That's 31 days.

I know that might sound a bit aggressive but I get bored easily. I like to stop and see historical stuff, technical and military museums, Fire Fighting and train museums and car museums. Historical stops - like when I did the Shenandoah Valley are pretty quick or non-existent for me.

So what do you all think of the timeline?

Still in the very early stages of this planning.

Are you planning to cross the border in MI or further down the line? Also, while your staying at Buchanan a drive over to the Shipshewana and Middlebury area of IN might be of interest to you. Its an Amish area of the country. A lot of RV building and repairs done here too.

When is the trip planned for? The camping season in the northeast is short and demand is high, so reservations can be a challenge.

Working your way down the coast, the Portland area is a favorite of ours. In fact, we’ll be headed that way in a couple of weeks. Lots of history there, and cruising on Casco Bay is always fun. Portsmouth has forts and museums that show their naval history.

Cape Cod is beautiful, but avoid the bridges on weekends. Battleship Cove in Fall River is a must see for military fans.

In Rhode Island, Newport is another area with lots to offer. We get there several times a year. Fort Adams is a favorite picnic stop and you can tour the fort. You could spend several days visiting the gilded age mansions.

Mystic Seaport in Connecticut is worth a day or two. It’s a living history type of place, showcasing their maritime history.

Just a few thought about coming down the coast of New England.

We've spent a fair amount of time in the northeast.

Leafpeepers arrive in the fall so reservations are necessary and most RV parks close for the winter. Plan accordingly.

I assume you have a passport.....

Does your brother speak French? How about you?

They take their French quite serious back there.

If you have time I would recommend Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec and then loop down to Bar Harbor...

Thanks for the tips - especially the things to see in the upper east - I love the recommendations on the fishing, maritime and military history stuff. The Amish stuff might be of some interest but I've seen enough of their culture in eastern Ohio.

Yes I have a passport and have been to Montreal several times. It's not that difficult. While they would prefer one spoke French, English is the second language. My sister in law is Quebeqois(sp?) and my brother is fluent having lived there for like 20 years.

My overnight rest stop from her to Ohio is usually GA near the border of TN. I've stopped there many times. I usually don't stop for more than 5 hours anyway.

As far as crowding I agree I don't want to compete with the leaf watchers. The hard stop in the Motocross in Buchanann which is the weekend of the 25th of September. So Montreal and the northeast will be early and mid October.

Is that too late?

Any Canadians have advice on stopping places from Toronto to Montreal?

Any Canadians have advice on stopping places from Toronto to Montreal

Like it was said above, I'd avoid going through Toronto. Traffic is chaotic. I know it for a fact.

If I were you, I'd cross at Champlain (that way you can fill the tank and save some money before crossing the border.

I have only been through the area without staying long, but near Montréal I've stayed at the Montréal south KOA. It's basic but the sites are spacious and they can accommodate large rigs. From there, it takes about 40 min to downtown Montréal.

Columbus Day Monday is usually the closing date for most but not all campgrounds in the Northeast. Some stay open on a modified schedule like weekends only. Salisbury Beach State Campground on the Northeast coast of Massachusetts is usually a good weekend option at least through Veterans Day. Some of the federal campgrounds in the White Mountains of NH are open year around without services in the off season. A trip up Mount Washington in NH is worth it if you are nearby. It will make you think you are on top of a mountain three times it's height.

"Winter Season" camping options change every year in the Northeast. It is good to do current checks of individual campgrounds.

Both Toronto and Montreal are large cities, Toronto being the 4th largest city in North America. Both will not have RV campgrounds within close proximity of the downtown areas. However, if you have never been, places like Niagara Falls, The Thousand Islands are well worth some time to explore. Ottawa, Quebec City are also, well worth some time. The loop around the Gaspe Peninsula is spectacular and can easily take more than a week to see its beauty. A trip through the White Mountains of NH & ME very scenic, be sure to go up Mount Washington, either by vehicle of the cog railway. Acadia NP nice too, but very heavily touristed.
Hope this gives you some ideas.

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom