USB Port in 2010 Winnebago "radio"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeak

So I haven't seen anything about this so just wanted to add the information for those looking at a new Winnebago. I looked over our new Winnebago Access (Class C) last night. We are taking delivery and paying today.

Well one issue for me had been getting a USB port in the radio. The Winnebago site shows a radio with Aux jack only, the reference says ipod interface but doesn't add more information. Phone calls to Winnebago led to 2 people saying the radio's only have Aux jacks.

I will have long drives where satellite radio nor radio will be an option. I have purchased ipod to Aux jack cable and was going to buy a usb to car charger adapter as well so that I can have music on the road and charge the iphone at the same time (it is one split cable).

Anyways -- inspection yesterday led to me seeing the USB port!!! Very happy. I haven't looked at how it interfaces etc, but since it has the USB port I am 99% sure I will be able to play through it and charge at the same time.

Will test it later tonight / tomorrow (not the top priority) but wanted to share for anyone that has the same question.

Not sure on the brand that is in ours. It just says "RV Radio?/Rearview Monitor System" in the brochure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is a Jensen

What do you mean have an ipod cable? Ours has the ipod input on the front (to the right side) of the whole radio / backup monitor interface. do you mean that there was a cable that came with it or that somewhere there is a fixed cable that you hook up to?

Either way another Winnebago model with USB input so that is good news

will have long drives where satellite radio nor radio will be an option
Satellite radio will work anywhere your antenna can see the sky... 

I've used my iPod on our Winnebago radios (one with standard aux input jack and one via the FM modulator) and our our car radio via the FM modulator. Guess I'm a bit behind the times as I've not seen, nor ever needed, a usb connector to an automotive radio...

In my 09 Access the USB will only play a USB flash drive of mpg's, wma's, etc but not an iPod. I do use the usb to charge the iPod while playing via the Aux. input.

afchap said:

I've used my iPod on our Winnebago radios (one with standard aux input jack and one via the FM modulator) and our our car radio via the FM modulator. Guess I'm a bit behind the times as I've not seen, nor ever needed, a usb connector to an automotive radio...

1) Satellite radio is extremely spotty in Alaska due to the angles of the satellites. I have it factory installed in two cars and I can pretty much not use it where we live. If I park somewhere for awhile then it can often lock in on a signal for several seconds at once. So the see the sky theory is incorrect

2) I use an aux jack in my car -- works great. Charging has to be done via the power adaptor up-front so more cables running than I like. My wife's car has a usb jack and you can change songs etc all from the steering wheel to minimize the risk of distraction. Not sure how to define need, but it is a slick thing to have and it is a positive that Winnebago has added it. Either way it surprised me that 2 Winnebago people answering their phones didn't know and instead gave incorrect information. I am happy it is there though

People didn't use microwaves back in the days either........

Triad -- I am worried that this will be the case, but hope to know tonight / tomorrow. If you got it in 2009 then was it a late year manufacturing date?

mikeak said:
What do you mean have an ipod cable? Ours has the ipod input on the front (to the right side) of the whole radio / backup monitor interface. do you mean that there was a cable that came with it or that somewhere there is a fixed cable that you hook up to?

There is a cable sitting on an inset of the dash next to the Sirius satellite radio....just plugged in my Ipod, selected Ipod on the menu and away I went...you most likely have the same setup....

Make that the southern sky. Many satellite entertainment systems stop working much north of Maine or a few hundred miles into Canada - even satellite tv. The satellites are in synchronous orbit over the equator, so they don't reach all the way north.

RV Roamer said:
Make that the southern sky. Many satellite entertainment systems stop working much north of Maine or a few hundred miles into Canada - even satellite tv. The satellites are in synchronous orbit over the equator, so they don't reach all the way north.

To supplement Gary's comment; All geostationary satellites are positioned in a fixed plane above the equator at approximately 22,000 miles elevation, also know as Clark orbit, after Arthur C. Clark.  As you travel North, and the curvature of the Earth moves away from the equator, the angle of inclination required to "see" the satellite gets smaller and smaller until ground objects and the atmosphere itself creates too much interference for the signal to transmit.  Usually this cut-off point is somewhere north of the 50th parallel.

The longitudinal location of the satellite affects the angle as well since the same principle applies with respect to inclination angle relative to the surface of the earth.  XM/Sirius Sats are located at 85 and 115 degrees W longitude or roughly Kentucky and Nevada equivalent.  Since Alaska is also quite a bit west of 115 Longitude, the problem is exacerbated.  That is also why east cost dish subscribers have such a hard time seeing the 129 W bird in the Northeast.

Sorry John, I overlooked the "old" sirius sats.  Since the merge, I believe they broadcast the same programming.  XMs sats are in GS orbit at 85.2 and 114.9 respectively.

FWIW the elliptical "tundra" orbit seems to provide much worse coverage in treed and mountainous terrain.  Having had both systems, the XM sats seem to deliver a more consistent signal even though the "tundra" orbit is supposed to be a better coverage option.  Go figure.

To the OP, my Jensen has a USB port, but will not read/control from an Ipod, just from a flash memory stick.  I have a loaded 4Gig stick I use for road trips.

One reason I went with XM back in the day is because they also have terrestrial repeaters. That might help in the appearance of better reception.

Well I might have gotten "hosed" here - we shall see

The USB does in fact not recognize the ipod. I downloaded the manual for the unit online and it references connecting to a 8 DIN Cable just like others have indicated in this thread.

Now here is the issue. I did not get the Sirius satellite package which I understand is a second unit. I did not do this since I called Winnebago and they told me the ipod interface was an aux port in both units and Sirius will not work here.......... Well the issue as Island guy says "There is a cable sitting on an inset of the dash next to the Sirius satellite radio" -- I don't have this cable.

So now I got to figure out if I somehow can access the input for the 8 DIN Cable, get that inserted and then hook up the ipod. If not I will have to go with the aux solution, but I would really prefer to have the touch screen interface for the ipod.

Wrote Jensen and asked for clarifications and going to try calling winnebago again

Which radio do you have? I have a Jensen VR209TP....if you have the same one then all you need is a cable to plug into the Ipod port in back of the radio...check your owners  manual.

Thanks island guy. The manual was not given to me by I have downloaded it. I do have the same model as you. Winnebago called me back and told me the part number needed is 163142-12-000 and just like you said pull out the radio and plug in. From the description online at the Winnebago site I think the cable should have been included. If they want $10 to 20 I will just pay more than that and I will argue a bit :). At least it shouldn't be an issue just need to work it out

thanks

I actually have a 3Gs the iPhone hopin it will work. Some additional info found the cable online for twenty bucks Jensen model number jipdcbl12 (b for black version at the end). I also pulled the Winnebago drawing 169847 and the cable should have been included....

If you're having problems hooking up the ipod, just buy yourself one of those USB memory sticks, put all your music on it and plug it into the USB port.  I have an 8 GB stick which I use for this purpose - no aux cables and such going anywhere.  Drove all the way from Ottawa, ON to Key West and back and didn't hear the same song twice.

diehard said:
If you're having problems hooking up the ipod, just buy yourself one of those USB memory sticks, put all your music on it and plug it into the USB port.  I have an 8 GB stick which I use for this purpose - no aux cables and such going anywhere.  Drove all the way from Ottawa, ON to Key West and back and didn't hear the same song twice.

Same here...the sticks are dirt cheap now and other than album art and "genius" you can pick albums and songs the same way.

I hope the iPod works for you, but if not, this isn't a bad alternative and there's no wires!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom