Use/Store Switch Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HMD001XX

I own a 2015 Thor Hurricane 32N (Class A Gas - Ford V10).  Went to gas up for a 2800 mile trip, everything worked.  Filled the tank, cranked it up, radio wouldn't power on, thus no backup camera.  Started on the trip the next day, camped one night with shore power, left the next day, radio powered on.  This happened intermittently during the entire month long trip. Had batteries checked and they are ok.  Took unit to Camping World, they couldn't duplicate the problem.  I went to pickup the unit, flipped the switch to "use", nothing happened.  CW stated it was the radio.  I disagreed and took unit home.  Upon arrival, flipped switch and all worked.  Called Thor and they said it was the solenoid.  Told me it was behind "Use/Store" switch or under bed (inverter is there).  It isn't in either spot. 

Anyone know where the solenoid is located or any suggestions as to the source of the problem? 
Many thanks. 

Two possible issues. ONE bit me back when this rig was still new

Thor may be correct. so if that is the case I'll leave it there... They can talk you through it, I've never fixed one so can not talk you through it (But could)

Option 2: the one I fixed, the switch itself.  To test you need either a digital volt meter or a test light NOT an led, or two LED test lights.

Open the INtelletec Battery Control Center.. In the upper left quadrant there are two taps and two pads.. Now you may need the manual to identify the pair (one tab one pad) to use

Hook the clip to one of the tabs and probe the matching pad

Have a partner operate the USE/STORE switch,, Lamp should light both ways

Volt meter will show battery voltage one way, negative voltage the other (Same voltage)

IF NOT (On mine the light lit bright on STORE but not at all on USE)  Find the fuse, You can confirm the proper fuse by pulling it, and re-testing (light will not work at all) with the fuse in hand operate the switch like 50-100 times.. Replace fuse and re-test

IF IT WORKS
Two choices
1: Buy lotto tickets cause when you hot, you hot
2: Do not buy lotto tickets cause you have used up your luck for this week

I choose option 2... Oh, and I was parked at the Moose Lodge.... IN LAS VEGAS.

When it does work can you hear a distinct click? It operates a substantial relay and that can often be detected when all is quiet.

It will likely take two people but you may be able to track down its physical location by careful listening!!

The Use/Store switch and solenoid control 12volts to a lot more than just the radio.  If things like the interior lights continue to function as expected under control of the Store/Use switch, there is nothing wrong with the solenoid.  You need to be disconnected from shore power while making this test.

Now, if you determine that it is still possible that the solenoid is at fault, it is located inside your Battery Control Center.  The BCC is located near the house batteries and may be just a cluster of solenoids or it may be a box nearby.  The disconnect solenoid will be co-located with the isolator/aux start solenoid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tensch
Back
Top Bottom