Using 2 portable generators (4K watts) to run A/C while driving a Class A.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would just plug my 30A shore power cord into the generator (only 1-ft away) and secure the cord so it wouldn't flop around.

If you mean to hook up 2 generators in parallel in order to supply 4000 watts, it won't work without some means of synchronizing the phase of the generators.  A/C (alternating current) is just that, alternating current and without synchronizing your generators (and I don't know how to do that), one could be putting out a negative voltage while the other is putting out a positive voltage.  That will let the smoke out of them and they will quit working.  Well, at least it will pop breakers on the generators.

No different than running the two while camped - the a/c's don't know the difference. Assuming the gensets are some place where they can get intake air and freely exhaust, it should work fine.

We routinely run our built-in generator and the house air while traveling in hot weather.

My generators are in parallel .  When I say A/C I mean Air Condition.
I wanted to know if anyone ever drove their MH while running their portable generator to power their air conditioner.

IF, and I stress IF your portables are Honda EU-2000i .. They are designed to be operated in parallel to generate a bit over 3,000 watts (Alas the model number is a lie)

If you are talking traditional generators.. do not try it, you will not like the result.

Hi John From Detroit , 
As I stated above, I do have 2 Honda 2000i connected and running in parallel.
They are the EU2000i model.
Thanks

John From Detroit said:
IF, and I stress IF your portables are Honda EU-2000i .. They are designed to be operated in parallel to generate a bit over 3,000 watts (Alas the model number is a lie)

If you are talking traditional generators.. do not try it, you will not like the result.

Actually it works pretty well.  I know a guy who does it routinely with two old-school generators from different manufacturers.  He made a paralleling box with a phase indicator light and a switch.  He starts both generators and then watches the light blink, and closes the switch while the light is out.

He has said that in reality the rotor moment of inertia on portable generators is small enough that it isn't really necessary to synchronize them that way, they'll pull into phase without breaking anything even if you happen hit it right on the 180.

Well... If you have the proper phase detector.. you can do it.. But, I would not recommend it unless you have the tools needed and know how.. They might pull in and they might not but,  But if they do not.. Depending on the speed with which the breakers respond it might be off to the store for new generators or... Worse.

I know how to do it.. 2 ways.. Prefer to not even try.

[quote author=John From Detroit]Depending on the speed with which the breakers respond it might be off to the store for new generators or... Worse.[/quote]

Or maybe not. When I worked at a power generating plant (multi megawatt), we'd occasionally need to bring a large alternator back online. A phase meter was built into the switch panel. However, if our timing wasn't good, we'd hear a 'bang' as the alternator instantaneously brought itself in phase with the remainder. No damage.

Don't try this with your own generators though folks, just in case  ;D

We had a similar system using phase lights on our 6-8 (sometimes only 2) back up generators for the telephone power plants. As we exercised  the generators on a regular basis we got pretty good at it.

Back
Top Bottom