Using Credit cards for fueling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wildebill has it right.  I use 2 credit cards, in the 50 states I have traveled, I only have found truck pumps that let you pay at the pump at a few small out of the way stations.  Most require a pre-approval.  This requires going in and pre paying.

Sun2Retire said:
Ahhhh..... so I've been using biodiesel without knowing it. I made the assumption based on a couple things, first all the truck stops advertise that they're pumping biodiesel while I've never noticed it on an "auto" pump. Second I've read lots of commentary which gave me the impression one had a choice. Yet one more thing I've learned here..... that makes two things now  ::)
I guess I didn't know that either - I relied on how it is posted at the pump and I've never seen it posted at non-truck stops.  I thought only the new engines could do 20% Biodiesel anyway, the older ones limited to 5%.  Oh well - I guess I burn whatever they shove at me.

We have both a credit card and a debit card to our CMA account. The most frequent gas we bought on our trip was at Arcos as they often had the best price. Also used Love and Pilot truck stops as well as a great truck stop, Seven Feathers, in southern Oregon. Arco needs a debit card, and I believe I used the debit at the truck stops. Never had to do a walk in.

Butch, I used the Good Sams/Flying J/Pilot in their truck lines without problems all the time.  Because I have a FW, I back up next to the semis with no problems. Never a semi driver has come to me complaining. I travel every year from WI to TX to FL and back to WI. Actually is easier than when I was pulling the FW with a gasser. When I had the gasser I had to struggle with competing cars. 

Ive found a few stations where the closest pump to the store will take credit cards while the others will not. Maybe those are for RVers? These have been at independent or local stations, not chains like Loves or Pilot.

I used to feel weird taking up space at a pump while I walked in to prepay. But I noticed a lot of truckers leave their rigs to go in and prepay also. I just go as quick as I can, then pull forward when Im done pumping before going back inside. I always smile and say hi to the drivers. Its hard to be mad at someone whos being nice to you. :D

I avoid the major truck stop chains. My last two experiences (Love's I think) were that RVs were directed to the auto pumps anyway, which were very poorly situated for big rigs, and the second I entered the truck stop thinking I could park for a few minutes - very bad decision. Only pull-through was through the pumps otherwise all parking was back-in and I've got a toad. And it was super busy. I managed to stay out of the way and after about 20 minutes the area cleared just enough for me to make a 180 and skeedaddle.

Not sure what you mean by RVs being "directed" to the auto pumps.  We NEVER use the auto pumps because we want fresher diesel fuel and larger spaces to maneuver which is the truck area.  There's no rule that says you have to use the RV lanes.  If you use something like the Trucker's Friend or RV'ers Friend, they tell you how many truck parking spaces there are at each fuel stop.  If they indicate 200 spaces you can bet there will be pull-throughs.  If they indicate only 20 spaces, then they might only have back-ins.  We seldom encounter places that only have backin parking.  Flying J/Pilot stations have booklets with all their locations and the facilities including the size of the parking.  We have what used to be a Flying J loyal customer card with a 3-cent discount and can use it to avoid making the first trip inside.  We still have to go inside to pay because this is not the newer FJ/Pilot credit card.  It works best at Flying J and less so at Pilot and it works best in the western U.S.  We're not crazy about Love's.  T/As are okay but Jerry often says their pump handles are yucky with fuel on them.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Not sure what you mean by RVs being "directed" to the auto pumps.

There was a large sign which said "Autos and RVs" so I dutifully obeyed, assuming that meant they didn't wan't RVs in the truck area

WILDEBILL308 said:
Well I have not found any card, I could get, that worked at THE TRUCK PUMPS except the Pilot/Flying J card...

Then why not get one of these cards?

Use it with no hassles, right at the pump in an area set up for large vehicles and get a discounted price on the fuel. What's not to like about that?

Yes, truck stop fuel may be a few cents per gallon more expensive, but my comfort and convenience is worth the few bucks I might save going to a neighborhood station...where it will take 30 minutes to fill the fuel tank due to the slow fuel delivery rate.

Sun2Retire said:
There was a large sign which said "Autos and RVs" so I dutifully obeyed, assuming that meant they didn't wan't RVs in the truck area

If it said "RV" then I would have used the Truck lanes and if anyone said anything (which I doubt they would) I would have said
"I'm a Motorhome not an RV"  ;D  Plus I'm 65ft with my trailer and wouldn't want to use no car lanes unless I was forced to...

Nothing wrong with what you did.  And if you didn't have any problems then all is well.

I've only fueled a few times and don't remember seeing one like that - but then again I make a beeline for the truck pumps..........

RedandSilver said:
Where I live there are Mobil Stations that allow use of a CC without going in to prepay etc.

One is about 5 miles from me and I have to drive around the building and then I'm lined up for the diesel pump.
Both Fire Trucks and School Buses fill up there.  There is a regular pump (for diesel cars and trucks) and a high speed pump for others.
I couldn't get the high speed pump to work and asked an attendant and he didn't know how they work either.

I was talking with a friend and he said to start the regular pump and lay it on the ground and then start the High Speed one.
I haven't tried that yet but will the next time I go to that station.

There is another Mobil Station about 15 miles from me and they have 3 pull through truck lanes there.
I haven't used that station yet - but I did ride my motorcycle through a lane to make sure I could get my 65ft rig through and
it will be no problem as full size Semi's do it all the time.  So since I haven't got diesel there yet I can't say 100% that they take
a CC without any problems BUT I ASSUME that is the case as every Mobil Station I have been to has pay at the pump and leave.

I don't know how popular Mobil/Exxon stations are across the country but they are here.

So there are stations that allow pay at the pump without going inside first for diesel purchases with a regular CC.

One note is that they have a $100 limit so around 40 gallons - but it's no problem to run the pump again except for the
few extra minutes it will take vs. doing it all at one time.
Yes you are right in some parts of the country there are stations that have separate truck islands and those are great to find. I have found some that will let you pay at the pump. The OP was talking about the big truck stops, PFJ, Loves, Travel Center(TA), Roadey's. They for the most part don't let you use your credit card at the pump, or you have the PFJ card.
Here is a chain most will not have heard about Buck-ees They started in south Texas and are expanding. Most of the time they have the best price for diesel just looked in north Fort Worth diesel $1.99. They don't let 18wheelers in but I have never had a problem.
https://www.buc-ees.com/locations.php
In 2012, Buc-ee's opened its largest Family center in New Braunfels, Texas on Interstate 35. The New Braunfels gas center is the largest convenience store in the world at 68,000 square feet. The store features 120 fueling positions, 83 toilets, 31 cash registers, 4 Icee machines, and 80 fountain dispensers.
Yes it is a little off topic but fun.
Bill

ArdraF, I don't think they have a separate tank for the diesel in the car/RV lanes. What I hate is the layout of the "RV" lanes they usually have very tight turns to get out. I have had to wait because someone parked at the store entrance and blocked me from being able to make the turn.
A Traveler, I have one so what's your point.
Bill

My point is that most of us "hate" the car/RV lanes for the exact reasons you stated and don't use them, so why should the poster?  Just because a sign says so?  I don't think so!  If the RV needs diesel, then go to the truck lanes.

ArdraF

LarsMac said:
I have a Paypal debit card, and it has worked everywhere I have tried.
Rode a couple of runs with Stepson and we re-fueled his KW at Love's. Didn't seem to be a problem with the card.

An update to this.

One of the problems may be related to the card issuer policies.
When you go to the auto pumps, the authorization is for the limits as stated. (usually $125 now for VISA and MC) when you go to the truck pumps, they may seek authorization for a truck fuel load. ($300-500). many card issuers, by default will not extend the authorization at fuel providers.
There is a way (Depending on your bank) to by-pass that limit.
My card had been originally set up for business and included fuel purchases.

So you may need to talk to your card issuer about how to increase you limit.

Here's an alternative... although the hi-speed pumps are nice and save some time I guess and we do use them and carry enough cash to pay for the fuel with a discount for cash usually but often we pull into a smaller station and use the slow pumps.  I need the break and in the overall situation a few minutes does not matter much anymore.  Sometimes, if $125 is not enough fuel to get to the next break, I'll use two cards, sequentially.  The hardest part, as someone mentioned, is the maneuvers that are required to get in and out so if it looks tricky we just keep going until we find one that's easier.  This kinda applies to the western states I guess but that's where we go.  I have wondered if the big trucks really pay the price you see on the flashing signs.

LarsMac said:
An update to this.

One of the problems may be related to the card issuer policies.
When you go to the auto pumps, the authorization is for the limits as stated. (usually $125 now for VISA and MC) when you go to the truck pumps, they may seek authorization for a truck fuel load. ($300-500). many card issuers, by default will not extend the authorization at fuel providers.
There is a way (Depending on your bank) to by-pass that limit.
My card had been originally set up for business and included fuel purchases.

So you may need to talk to your card issuer about how to increase you limit.
Ask your stepson if he has a Loves card to start the pumps at Loves. I have never found any credit or debit card that would start the pumps. They all work if you go inside.
Loves has told me there is NO CARD I can git (non commercial) to start the pumps.
Bill

I use Amazon's Chase card because I get 1-2-3%  back monthly in Amazon credits.

Their interest rate is awful, but I never run a balance, so it matters not to me.

I can spend these perks every month or let them accumulate.

If the pump has a surcharge for credit, then I use a debit card.

I like to play the guessing game and estimate my purchase before I park and pump. I am amazingly close at estimating this! THis is handy on the rare occasions when I have to prepay for fuel. Sometimes the pump is out of whack or the computer down inside, and cash is the only thing that gets fuel. Rare, but it happens.

WILDEBILL308 said:
Ask your stepson if he has a Loves card to start the pumps at Loves. I have never found any credit or debit card that would start the pumps. They all work if you go inside.
Loves has told me there is NO CARD I can git (non commercial) to start the pumps.
Bill

No, but as I stated, my card was originally set up for business, so probably is commercial card. I apologize for missing that point in my first post.

I posted this in the General section too.  Thought is might be just as relevant here.....
Being that it is talking about CC usage.

I have been researching fuel stops along the route that I have planned for a trip this summer.

I called one place in Cuba MO and they said I could use the truck lanes with a CC.
There is a $100 limit and she (the girl I talked to) said that my CC company was the one that limits fuel transactions and
they set the $100 limit.

So I called my CC company and they said I have no limits for any purchases.  So the limit IS WITH the Fuel provider.
I believe this is for the pay at the pump transactions.  If you go inside they will hold your CC or drivers license and then you
can pump as much as you want, because they know you will come back for your CC or DL.  OR yes you could just run your CC again.

I called another station near me (I've never been there yet) and she told me that there is a phone at the pump and to pick it
up and the person inside will turn on the pump and I can pump however much I want and THEN go inside and pay.  Somewhat trusting
but I assume they don't have too many drive offs from the diesel lanes - at least not anywhere as much as the gas pumps.

So just thought I would pass this along.

I have been looking at a lot of stations along my route and there are quite a few besides the Pilot/Flying J and TA stations that most
people think of as truck (diesel) lanes to get in and out of.

The major reason I'm looking for stations other then those above is you have to have a Sam's membership to get their fuel card
so you can pay at the pump - AND I think they did away with their RV card that would let you use a CC after you slid in their card first.
Now the only way to pay is sign up with them and they bill you once a month and then you either pay them via check, debt, or via Auto Pay.

I also don't want to really be tied to only getting fuel there because I had a card of theirs. And technically I wouldn't be but it would be
one more bill etc.

Well, we are now setup with at least Flying J/Pilot as we now have their credit card with a $2500 per month limit. I was surprised how fast we received it. When we applied they said we would receive our cards in about 6 weeks. Less than 2 weeks we had our cards. This gives us cash price plus $.08 discount was what I read. Hope I read that right as it makes the price not quite as bad compared to other stations. The additional discount is for being Life Members of Good Sam.

I called one place in Cuba MO and they said I could use the truck lanes with a CC.
There is a $100 limit and she (the girl I talked to) said that my CC company was the one that limits fuel transactions and
they set the $100 limit.

So I called my CC company and they said I have no limits for any purchases.  So the limit IS WITH the Fuel provider.
I believe this is for the pay at the pump transactions.  If you go inside they will hold your CC or drivers license and then you
can pump as much as you want, because they know you will come back for your CC or DL.  OR yes you could just run your CC again.

Both are accurate statements as far as they go, just not the full picture. Most every credit card has a security limit for pay-at-the-pump transactions. They won't authorize more than $xxx via the pump, but you can usually get a greater limit if you go inside and show the card (and maybe some Id). That's basically because they guarantee the amount of the transaction to the retailer once it is authorized, so they want to limit their risk at the pump, which is a relatively high-fraud sales point.

So, the fuel station will sell you whatever amount the credit card company will authorize at the pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claassen
Back
Top Bottom