Using water tanks when it's freezing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilcoxks

We are leaving on a trip to texas Friday but it's freezing here in kansas now and looks like we will even have freezing overnight temps in texas.  Does anyone know if we are running the heater in the motorhome if our water tanks will freeze up or should we plan on not using our on board water

Probably depends if your water tank is in a heated space and/or how cold it gets. Our water tank is inside our MH under the bed, and as long as we are comfortable we have no worries about the water tank freezing. If it is mounted in an unheated space there might be an issue if the temps get much below freezing.

Answer the following questions (No need to post)
First: Are the tanks and all pipes somewhere INSIDE the motor home, either in the living space or in the basement? or do the pipes extend below or otherwise beyond the MH?

If all inside.. then the next question is a bit tougher

Are there any switches or controls marked "Tank heater"  (if so great, if not read on)

Fire up the furnace.. When it's blowing open the door to the compartment that contains the water tank, does not matter if it is fresh water, black or gray, just so it's a water tank.

You may be able to feel the hot air from the furnace blowing out of the compartment

If so, you are very likely good to 20 degrees and above (That's f by the way, about -6 on the C scale)

wilcoxks said:
We are leaving on a trip to texas Friday but it's freezing here in kansas now and looks like we will even have freezing overnight temps in texas.  Does anyone know if we are running the heater in the motorhome if our water tanks will freeze up or should we plan on not using our on board water 

Often times, motorhomes have heated bays where the pipes/tanks are which will keep them from freezing.  Really need to  provide us with what brand, model and year coach you have. 

Yup...  it?s cold here in central Texas - 37 degrees now and windy, will be down to 17 tonight in the city.  I live just outside Austin and the temp this morning at 5AM was 15.  It?s supposed to get colder tonight and to the weekend.  Might even get some snow Friday (unusual for central Texas).  Good luck on your trip and be safe!

I have a '03 Allegro Tiffin Bus DP and our water tank, grey water and black water are all heated from the furnace.  My guess is yours re too.  If you keep the furnace running the tanks will be fine.  We have been 10-14 degree weather with no problem at all.

Marsha~

We prefer to not take a chance.  Carry some milk cartons of water to make coffee and to flush the commode with. 

I read a suggestion to place a remote thermometer (not a thermostat like I posted another time.  :) ) taped to a water tank.  Then you can see from inside your coach just how cold it actually is.

We thought we'd nearly freeze to death in Missouri last winter. I posted numerous tales of woe due to frozen pipes and tanks. Our Endeavor is supposed to be able to handle the cold; but I don't think sustained exposure to subzero temperatures was part of the deal. We even have HVAC ducts in our basement! We finally beat "Old Man Winter" by: lining the dump area with old furniture blankets and placing a brood lamp in the compartment; placing an oil filled radiator (it just fit)in the pass through and placing a 100 watt bulb in the water tank area. In my experience; your motorhome will need help if its exposed to very cold temps for any length of time. As an aside, there is no substitute for a heated water hose if you're going to spend any time where the white stuff falls.

My 2010 Tiffin Allegro has most of it's plumbing and fresh tank above the floor, but as far as I have been able to tell, no heat in the compartments where the pump and dump stuff is.  I put two small (walmart - 200W) heaters in those compartments and left the cabinet doors under the sink and bath open upstairs.  Kept it like that for a week or so in 15-20 deg weather, using electric heaters in the coach (no need to run the propane when hooked up).  Did not worry about it while traveling as we did not do much running around in serious cold.  I hate winter!

Gordon

What I did in 2006 was carry bottled water inside the rig till I got far enough out that I did not need to worry about freezing (Well the first trip)

However in this case the O/P said they expect freezing temps both at their house and at the destination.. So that gets to be a bit of a pain if you are staying a while,, plus there is waste water issues as well.

Hence the advice... If the tanks are heated.. and the pipes are too.. You should be good to 20 degrees.

If not... you have a problem and need to take steps to prevent freezup.. Epically the waste pipes (if you have a trailer these are often exposed)

I do not mind fixing fresh water pipes nearly as much as I do working on the black lines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnvista
Back
Top Bottom