Utah County to Disneyland California?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

readytorv

Can anyone tell me what the roads are like?  We have a lot of experience with the terrible roads between Anaheim and northern CA.  Were looking to move to Utah this summer and want to know if driving to DL will be more enjoyable coming from Utah County?  Most people say to stop in St. George both ways and expect traffic between Las Vegas and Anaheim.??

I assume you meant Utah STATE instead of County, although there is a Utah County in the state of Utah.  There's a multiyear road construction project going on in that tiny corner of northwest Arizona on I-15 that contains the Virgin River Canyon (between Mesquite NV and St. George UT).  They are repairing and replacing about seven bridges in the canyon and there's no alternate route.  Although we came through recently in the middle of a Friday morning and had no issues, Arizona D.O.T. signs warn to expect delays.  The lanes are reduced to one in each direction and the speed limit is reduced so just plan to go slower for that segment.  I read that one accident shortly after the work started had traffic stopped for a couple of hours so pray to the traffic gods that it will be clear!  ;)

ArdraF

Thank you..  I did mean Utah County since that is a bit further south than some other parts of the state.  So far from our travels it seems most all states have nicer roads than we do here in CA and are a lot better about traffic warnings and cone-zones.  I can't tell you how frustrated I am with California's concrete road dividers everywhere.  They do the repair work and then never open up the shoulder again.  Makes for a tight squeeze on the freeway.  We hit so many spots in southern CA right before you go up the grapevine where the road was just one continuous pothole on the shoulder. 

Well, if you don't like traffic cones, I-15 will drive you nuts at least as far as Arizona, Nevada and California are concerned.  I think I heard something about another project starting down in California.  And Las Vegas couldn't live without traffic cones on I-15!  They're adding another couple of interchanges at the south end of town.  It's just one continuous revolving construction project!

ArdraF

As they say, the roads in California are either under construction or obsolete.

I moved to Florida last year and the one thing I did not like about the place is all the toll roads. I lived a long time in the west and there are very few toll roads in the west. So I avoided using the toll roads for the first six months I lived here. Then my sister and BIL came for a visit last September and they drove on the toll roads. I was amazed. The toll roads here are as smooth as a babies bottom. They actually spend the toll money to keep the roads in great repair. When I was in Cali two years ago I drove from Phoenix to LA on I-40 and I-15. Both roads were rougher than most four wheel drive roads I have been on. So I bought me a SunPass and now I use the toll roads whenever I can. They may cost me a bit of money but they are saving my suspension.

ArdraF said:
And Las Vegas couldn't live without traffic cones on I-15! 
ArdraF

You are so right, I think that NDOT dreams up ways to tie up traffic on I15 through Las Vegas.

The cones are fine, it's the concrete road barriers that they put everywhere in CA along the shoulders.  And apparently it's easier to just leave them there when the projects are done.  It makes the freeways really narrow and tight when driving a big RV.

There was a comment on TV this morning that one of the few toll roads in Southern California is discontinuing cash payments.  Drivers can pay only with a pass like the ones back east.  I wonder what people like us who are simply traveling through are going to do to pay the toll.  Do they not realize that there are people who won't have those passes because they don't live there and are only passing through?  I wonder if they'll allow us to turn around.  I can just see it now - a big motorhome with a toad trying to make a U-turn at a toll booth.  Hmmm.  :-\

ArdraF

They use a camera to photograph the vehicle and license plate then send you a bill.

There's at least one freeway in so Cal that's already like that. They give you lots of warnings. As for "turning around at the toll booth," won't work because there is no toll booth. There are also a couple of freeways that have car pool lanes / toll lanes that are pass only. Get in one and you'll get a bill in the mail.

As for "turning around at the toll booth," won't work because there is no toll booth.

Duh!  :-[  I was so busy being facetious that I missed the obvious!

ArdraF

Reminds me of driving in Europe (not in a motorhome) but we'd be cruising along and all of a sudden were at a toll booth to enter another country with NO place to turn around.. that happened a lot between Paris and Belgium.  :)  ..  AND yes my husband said for the toll roads they photograph your plate and bill you now.  I too was wondering if out-of-towners just got a free pass!

ArdraF said:
There was a comment on TV this morning that one of the few toll roads in Southern California is discontinuing cash payments.  Drivers can pay only with a pass like the ones back east.  I wonder what people like us who are simply traveling through are going to do to pay the toll.  Do they not realize that there are people who won't have those passes because they don't live there and are only passing through?  I wonder if they'll allow us to turn around.  I can just see it now - a big motorhome with a toad trying to make a U-turn at a toll booth.  Hmmm.  :-\

Ardra

The toll roads in Southern California always give you plenty of warning and a way out before you're committed.  They are always an alternative route to the regular freeways, unlike back east where you often either pay the toll or drive on access roads.

Anyway, back to the topic:  From northern Utah to southern California, there's the I-15, Amtrak or Southwest Airlines.  Once in SoCal, there are a couple of routes: I-15 to CA-60 to CA-57 to Harbor Bvd, OR: 1-15 to CA 215 at the bottom of the "Cavron" pass to CA 91 to Harbor.  This second route is about 15 miles farther, but is a good alternative in case of delays on the first route. 

In either case, you only want to travel these routes in the afternoon or early evening.  Otherwise, the good news is, you'll be able to set up chairs and put out the awning without getting off the freeway :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damusicduo
Back
Top Bottom