Vagabonding in New England states this Summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samanthahhi

Hey all! While visiting up around the New England state area, my girl friends and I want to celebrate our 50th Birth Year by taking a week, setting out in the camper and roaming through the countryside. We want to keep it easy, visit wineries, be able to stop by creeksides/river beds to enjoy a glass of wine, perhaps camp....you're getting thei picture here, right?

Do you all have any suggestions nowhere I should begin researching or has anyone done this sort of thing before?

Samantha

Sounds like anywhere in Vermont, northern New Hampshire and most of Maine.  I'd suggest you look in the White Mountains National Park area, there are lots of hiking trails, a few rivers that amble through the mountain valleys, and you can even go tubing down the Saco River.  You can camp in the wilderness of the National Park, or with full hook ups in several campgrounds in the towns.

Ed

Having lived in New England for 13 years I will tell you that you need to do some planning.  First off there are many many side roads with low bridges or covered bridges that you cannot get a rig through and can easily get stuck.  There isn't a gas station everywhere that will take a rig like in the other parts of the country so you really need to plan your gas stops accordingly.  Also there is very little public land that you can park a rig on for free and the campgrounds get really full on the weekends because it's such a short summer and everyone wants to be out.  Also many of the campgrounds are older so if you have a modern length 5th wheel or Class A you often can't even get in them.  Hate to be a downer but iot really isn't like any other part of the country I have seen.  Holiday weekends in particular fill up very very quickly so I would plan accordingly.

That's a great area for meandering around, but your plan to stop by creeksides with the RV, even for a few minutes, probably isn't going to happen. There are few places where there is even room to pull off, let alone enjoy an afternoon or overnight stay.  It's a region of twisty two lane roads that wind through narrow valleys, and the road network and villages streets date from the days of horseback travel.  It's often hard to find a even a restaurant parking lot that can accommodate a sizable RV, and fuel stations can be a challenge too.  Plan of parking the RV in a campground and day-tripping by car.

Oh, so good to know!

I was up there with my mother last fall and we travelled all over, but not once did I think in terms of pulling a camper and so I can't recall so well. But parking a daytripping sounds like the plan.

Has anyone travelled up around Montreal to Quebec? Any comments on that countryside? I pull a 28' trailer.

There is 4 lane limited access highways (equivalent to interstate) on both the north and south shores of the St Lawrence from Montreal to Quebec.  However, there are not many campgrounds near Montreal, but there are several in the Quebec City/Levis area.  Also, HWY 138 which is the old 2 lane route, has a lot of nice views of the river, should you chose to slow down and see georgous countryside.

Ed

Did the trip about 18 months ago.  In Montreal watch the road signs very carefully.  In the construction areas you don't want to be in the wrong lane.  Traffic is thick.  Don't get lost in Montreal!  Other than that the trip is a piece of cake.  No big hills or mountains.  Mostly just clean country side.  Loved Quebec City!!!   

I had forgotten about Harvest Hosts. We have friends who are members and visited Vermont last year, staying at host sites. They spoke very highly of the experience.

Your trip is doable, but will require some advice planning. It's beautiful country, with plenty to see and do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom