venting of fridge -- roof vs side?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baadpuppy

I saw a picture of a motorhome with the kitchen being partly in a slide.  The thing that struck me the most in that picture was that it appeared as though the fridge was in the slide, and vented via the side since the roof would be inaccessible while the slide was inside.

I'm curious as to how common this is, and also if there are special design considerations for this.

The reason I'm interested is that at some point I'll have to start putting my motorhome back together.... and I'd love to move the fridge from its current location.  However, I don't want to make a new hole in the roof for it unless I have to.  A side vent would make that process easier for me.

Any thoughts?  Any ideas where I can look for more information?

Thanks in advance,
jim

Thought here - my Roadtrek appears to have most of the venting (all ?) on the sides.  Seems correct to me (as rain falls, basically, down).....bill  :)

The information for venting is in the Refer installation manuals.  I don' have one here but I saw it whan I got the new refer installed last February.  Maybe someone know where they are on the net.

today I checked out one of  norcold's newer models on their website and downloaded the installation manual, and they showed both types of venting.

Assuming I can find a side-vent kit for my fridge I will have a LOT more flexibility in my floorplan.

I really want a side aisle setup, but the refer is on the side I want the aisle on.  It takes a large amount of room.

I've been looking at floorplans for other units today, and found one really was sweet.  It gives me a lot of ideas that I hope will turn out to be practical.

Considering that I'm completely removing the furnace and hot water heater and replacing them with a single hydronic solution, I have managed to reclaim a bit of space.  Relocating the refer will let me get even more space back.  I might end up sacrificing a window, or at least making it smaller, but I think I'll be happier with it in the end.

So many options....

Thanks for the responses.  Looks like both types of venting are available, and it's an installation option on most newer models.

jim

My fridge is in a slide and it is vented to the side. There is also a small fan toward the top of the compartment to circulate the air when the compartment temp gets above 80. Convection cooling isn't too effecient unless you have a roof vent. - Oh, domestic fridge.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom