Verizon offers $40 unlimited internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I spoke with a service rep directly : You can use your phone as a hotspot?  Technically correct.  But the gotcha is that only one device can use the hotspot at any given time.

That coupled with the 5mbps limit makes the service pretty useless in my opinion.

8Muddypaws said:
I spoke with a service rep directly : You can use your phone as a hotspot?  Technically correct.  But the gotcha is that only one device can use the hotspot at any given time.

That coupled with the 5mbps limit makes the service pretty useless in my opinion.

Believe you can tie your phone hotspot to a router which would then give you unlimited connections. Obviously others may have greater needs, but if I get a solid 2-3 mb, or even 1.5, I can stream

My 3G mifi (which I use for backup to the AT&T 4G Mobley, and which will be useless anyway when Verizon turns off 3G in 2019) seems to have stopped working, and I'm considering this new plan from Visible. My thought was to get an unlocked 4G mifi, get the SIM from Visible and temporarily put it in my phone to activate it, then put the SIM in the new mifi, giving me a 4G unlimited data unit for $40/mo. Is this feasible?

I know in Florida, not sure if everywhere, that you can get $45 unlimited internet from Verizon directly using the 55+ years old plan.  I wasn't sure and called on my 55th birthday this year and got switched over without ever going into a store.  My wife is also of age and we got both lines switched over.  We haven't noticed any problems.  We don't stream on our phones.  We have hot spotted with them while in the RV when there was no campground Wifi, for regular laptop use.  My wife is also a dedicated Iphone and Mac person.  She uses her Iphone on the Verizon network without issues, and hotspots her Macbook Pro when needed.

Bobtop46 said:
I know in Florida, not sure if everywhere, that you can get $45 unlimited internet from Verizon directly using the 55+ years old plan.

Interesting. I was considering the mifi because I didn't want to have to use the phone for a hotspot, but since my intention is using it for backup anyway that really isn't an issue. I will check into that, thanks

This would definitely be something we were interested in! We like to use our iPad on the road to serve the internet and look for local attractions, but it is wifi only. Most of the generic campgrounds do not have wifi so $40/month seems worth it if you're on the road a lot.

I'm chatting online with a Verizon rep as I type this.

They have GoUnlimited, BeyondUnlimited and AboveUnlimited.

GoUnlimited: Not worth talking about...
BeyondUnlimited: 22gb,
AboveUnlimited: 75gb.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/unlimited/

They wouldn't switch me, said I already had the best plan for my JetPack.

They also have something called Data Boost for the throttled plans.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-boost-faqs/

Actual, true, real "unlimited" internet IS NOT available from Verizon (or AT&T). They are protecting their network from power-users, keeping bandwidth available for baby-users from whom they make the majority of their profit. Even these so-called "unlimited" Plans can be throttled even with Data Boost (you gotta read the fine print).

On mobile right now so hard to check for my plan, but 1 1/2 months ago I got a true unlimited prepaid hotspot plan. The service reps where I was also swore such a thing did not exist until I showed it to them on their website. I had to buy the hotspot. Make sure you specify you are looking at a prepaid plan, not pay as you go.

AnRVAndADog said:
They have GoUnlimited, BeyondUnlimited and AboveUnlimited.

GoUnlimited: Not worth talking about...
BeyondUnlimited: 22gb,
AboveUnlimited: 75gb.

The new Visible plans aside, just wanted to point out that the pricing shown on web page for the above plans is on a per line basis with a minimum of FOUR (4) lines.  If you can use or need that, then it's a pretty good deal on a per line basis (assuming you will do business with Verizon).  With Verizon, I pay $80 per month for one line which includes taxes and fees for unlimited phone, text, and data (internet) ON THE PHONE. But to hotspot to another device, my plan is limited to 10 GB per month.  Combined with my Mobley, I've been doing okay.  I screwed up the Mobley - mine never did receive the firmware update that limited the time it would stay on, but I inadvertently, stupidly hit the reset button and there was no way to use the website to reset it to "never off" - as you Mobley users know.  But, I got a $13 timer and it now goes off automatically for 1 second every 35 minutes and turns back on automatically and that has been working really well.  Most of the time, it doesn't even interrupt streaming Netflix or Prime.

Pam or Kevin -- Could you please provide a little more info on the "unlimited hotspot" option you mention from Verizon?  Maybe it's no longer available, but I couldn't locate it on the Verizon web site.

Happiest New Year to All.
Linda

Not for the 55+ plan.  We only have 2 lines.  I didn't see it online or the web page, I had to call and ask for it.  Like I said we don't stream TV using our phones.  just normal email, and web surfing (oh and talking).

Linda,

The Verizon plan is a ?pre-paid? plan. If you don?t already have a Jetpack, you will need to buy one (around $199). The newest one Verizon has is the 8800 but it is currently having some issues for some people with dropping out or rebooting. The manufacturer has said they are working on a software update to fix it but don?t know when. The pre-paid website does not show the 8800 as available equipment for the unlimited plan, but others have been able to get it by going into the store to purchase it. Or you can order one of the older Jetpacks showing as available with the plan but the 8800 has a lot of great new features.

Some reps online, phone and in store may not know about the plan so you have to insist they keep looking. It?s $70 PRE-PAID and $65 if you set up auto pay. If you are already a Verizon customer, you can have both a post-paid (regular) account and a pre-paid account.

The plan is truly unlimited data. The only stipulation is during tower congestion (busy times) pre-paid lines get slowed down before post-paid (not throttled just prioritized). Hope this answers your questions.

Vicki

Listen to Vickie, the tech guru who helped us find it too. We have the 8800 jet pack, and I have found that after a day or so it slows wayyyy down. Maybe it is the issue Vickie mentioned in the firmware. I power it off, wait 20 seconds, then power it back on. Fast service immediately.

If you are heavier data users, the unlimited plan for $65 (autopay) is a great deal.

This thread was started to highlight Visible's $40 unlimited plan which I am considering. I am curious as to why no one else seems to be considering it, instead opting to pay 50-100% more for essentially the same network. Am I missing something?

shorts said:
Linda,  The Verizon plan is a ?pre-paid? plan. If you don?t already have a Jetpack, you will need to buy one (around $199).

Hi Vickie and Pam?

My plan is already a pre-paid plan.  Sorry to confuse folks, but I already have the $70/mo plan but by the time you add taxes and fees it's $81.00 - as I noted.  I'm not receiving a $5/mo discount for auto pay, which of course I have, so if I can stomach it one of these days, I may call Verizon Customer Service and see if I can get it.  The discount is probably for folks with new service as of "such and such" a date.

Why do I need a jetpack when I have unlimited data/internet on my phone if I want to access the internet from my phone.  My point was that if you tether or hotspot data using your phone, then the limit under this plan is 10 GB of tethered or hotspoted data, which is fine for me with the Mobley working also.  It took me forever to begin to understand folks always talking about unlimited, because it really isn't unlimited if you tether or hotspot the data.  I only know about Verizon, but I think ATT is the same. 

So, maybe you could enlighten me as little further as to my need for a jetpack because if I can get a better set-up for less money then I'm all in.

Regards
Linda

Back2PA said:
This thread was started to highlight Visible's $40 unlimited plan which I am considering. I am curious as to why no one else seems to be considering it, instead opting to pay 50-100% more for essentially the same network. Am I missing something?

Well for one, Visible is only available to IPhone 6 (and up?) phone users.  Since I'm a sworn Android user, and many other people also have Android phones, that leaves us out for the time being.  I haven't checked the fine print in the Visible offering for obvious reasons, but there may be something there that limits some usage. 

If Visible is ever available for Android users, and IF it is truly, 100% unlimited data/internet content that I can do with what I want (accessing and streaming to other devices), then I'm all in.

Linda
Still learning all the ins and outs of the complex data/communications world, but I'm better at it than I was 6 mos. ago.

Dreamsend said:
Hi Vickie and Pam?

My plan is already a pre-paid plan.  Sorry to confuse folks, but I already have the $70/mo plan but by the time you add taxes and fees it's $81.00 - as I noted.  I'm not receiving a $5/mo discount for auto pay, which of course I have, so if I can stomach it one of these days, I may call Verizon Customer Service and see if I can get it.  The discount is probably for folks with new service as of "such and such" a date.

Why do I need a jetpack when I have unlimited data/internet on my phone if I want to access the internet from my phone.  My point was that if you tether or hotspot data using your phone, then the limit under this plan is 10 GB of tethered or hotspoted data, which is fine for me with the Mobley working also.  It took me forever to begin to understand folks always talking about unlimited, because it really isn't unlimited if you tether or hotspot the data.  I only know about Verizon, but I think ATT is the same. 

So, maybe you could enlighten me as little further as to my need for a jetpack because if I can get a better set-up for less money then I'm all in.

Regards
Linda
On my phone I have a 22GB plan, but that can only have 15 GB tethered. Since I use my iPad much more than my phone, I would max out the tethered amount on a heavy month. The jetpack plan gives me unlimited for tethered, which means my iPad and laptop no longer have to be starved for data at the end of each billing cycle. If you don?t use as much data, it might not be worth it for you. I figure I will decrease the amount of data I have on the phone as soon as I understand my new usage patterns better.

UTTransplant said:
On my phone I have a 22GB plan, but that can only have 15 GB tethered. Since I use my iPad much more than my phone, I would max out the tethered amount on a heavy month. The jetpack plan gives me unlimited for tethered, which means my iPad and laptop no longer have to be starved for data at the end of each billing cycle. If you don?t use as much data, it might not be worth it for you. I figure I will decrease the amount of data I have on the phone as soon as I understand my new usage patterns better.

Thank you Pam for getting to the nitty-gritty.  My ATT Mobley is true unlimited data that I use to access internet on my desktop, my Galaxy tablet, and for streaming via a ROKU.  So it is essentially working as your Jetpack I think.  I would max out my Verizon hotspot data limit in a heartbeat if it were my only data communication mode also.  If Mobley ever goes away, or gets unreasonably expensive (it's $23/mo right now) then a jetpack would be in my future, depending on what data plans and services are available otherwise.  I'm a pretty heavy data user, and would be SEVERELY cramped without the Mobley.

GO COLTS!  BEAT HOUSTON!

Regards
Linda

Dreamsend said:
Thank you Pam for getting to the nitty-gritty.  My ATT Mobley is true unlimited data that I use to access internet on my desktop, my Galaxy tablet, and for streaming via a ROKU.  So it is essentially working as your Jetpack I think.  I would max out my Verizon hotspot data limit in a heartbeat if it were my only data communication mode also.  If Mobley ever goes away, or gets unreasonably expensive (it's $23/mo right now) then a jetpack would be in my future, depending on what data plans and services are available otherwise.  I'm a pretty heavy data user, and would be SEVERELY cramped without the Mobley.

GO COLTS!  BEAT HOUSTON!

Regards
Linda

If you have the mobley then you probably don?t need the Verizon unlimited data plan right now. We have both (although our Verizon is the grandfathered UDP) so if one doesn?t work the other usually does. I think a lot of people jumped on it just because you never know how long these great plans will be offered.

I mostly just wanted to echo your post -

GO COLTS!!! BEAT HOUSTON!!.  ;D

Vicki

Edit to add: if you are still using your mobley as you bought it, I would suggest putting the SIM card in a Jetpack. We bought a Unite Explore Jetpack from Amazon and it really increased the speed and how many devices can log on at the same time compared to using the mobley.

Dreamsend said:
Well for one, Visible is only available to IPhone 6 (and up?) phone users. 

Ah. That may nix my plan then. I also have the Mobley, but am looking for a backup as the 3G Verizon mifi I have has quit working and 3G will be turned off this year anyway. My thought was to put the Visible sim card in a hotspot, but if it requires an iPhone 6 or higher that's a problem. (I was thinking of putting the SIM in my current iPhone 6 to activate, then move to the hotspot, but don't know if that would work or not.)

Back2PA said:
I was thinking of putting the SIM in my current iPhone 6 to activate, then move to the hotspot, but don't know if that would work or not.

Most likely not, the real reason behind Visible is to get experience re-programming phones to make phone calls using VoLTE instead of the CDMA network.  This makes the plan hardware and operating system specific, which is why it's only available for iPhones so far.

This will change if they expand the plan to include Android phones, at that point it may be worthwhile to find a cheap phone to use as a hotspot.  But due to the many variations of Android hardware, getting their OS to work with all of them will be a much larger task than the current limited iPhone support.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom