Verizon wireless modem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

Got a card from Verizon today touting their "Pantech UML 290 4G USB Modem"

States that it will work with 3G and 4G and will be much faster when connected to 4G system. I know that not all areas currently have 4G but supposed to be coming in the future.

Cost will be $50.00 per month fro 5GB and I am now paying $60.00 per month for 5GB using my USB760 modem.

Anyone checked into this, is it really this good of a deal and cheaper. Initial cost is $99.99

I got that flyer too. Pantech makes good modems and the monthly price is indeed $10/month less than the standard 3g data service, except that there are a couple other categories of device that get the reduced pricing (Mifi, 3g netwbooks, etc).  Right now 4g is only in 38 cities and major airports, and don't expect to find it in your favorite campground anytime soon.  Rural areas are going to see much 4g for a few years.

3g modems are often free with a new or renewed contract, so the $99 price for the Pantech modem is a negative in the 4g deal. Right now you could get a 3g Mifi modem/hotspot device for free and get the $50/month service too, so that's an even better deal financially. You just don't get 4g speeds if you happen to be in a 4g area.

I used a Verizon modem last year in Quartsite and it worked great.  I was able to work and play at the same time!  I also have an iphone and got great service down there.  My iphone is the 3G model, but I was able to get service on the internet everywhere I went. (from California down to Arizona)

If you're running a droid phone with Verizon you can get internet free with a tethering app.  Works great, though I'm not sure how fast compared to an air card.

Verizon claims they will have their entire 3G network covered by 4G by the end of 2013.
They have done a good job of expanding the 3G network in the last few years, maybe they will make their target date.

I am sort of on the fence about changing plans.
Right now I have an unlimited data account and if I switch to the $50 4G plan I will lose that and only have 5 GB.

I have gone over 5Gb only three or four times in the last two years (and never before that) but my data usage is going up each year as updates get larger and larger. We also seem to be more apt to download larger files since downloads are so much faster with 3G. With the 4G plan there is a $10 charge per GB over 5 GB which is not too bad if it doesn't happen often.

The $80 per 10 GB plan is a little too much for my budget right now.

I'm' wondering if I can get a tethering AP on my iphone?  Something I'm going to have to look into!

I just got one, yes its cheaper and about 10 times faster, go and get it before they run out!

If you are using a Cradlepoint WiFi router, the Pantech UML 290 4G USB Modem is not currently compatible, either on 3G or 4G.  They will update their firmware sometime in Spring, 2011...

Verizon is talking about THEIR 3G network getting 4g but not necessarily their network partner's (roaming) network.

On the plus side, Verizon has already begun to license some independents to use their 4g radio frequencies in rural areas that Verizon does not now cover with 3g or 4g, so those areas will get 4g service sooner than otherwise.

The other good news is that the 700 MHz band travels well, meaning it can cover a larger area from a single tower than 800 Mhz or the 1800 Mhz PCS cellular bands. That makes it a bit easier (less expensive) to expand coverage in rural areas.

Boy, I'm still wondering.

However I'm thinking that if I wait until my contract expires in about 9 months, Verizon may be offering it as a free upgrade and maybe will have 4G in more areas.

Still am going to call them about switching to the $50 plan.

No hurry here, either.  I use my 3g data card at my stick house as well as on the road.  We live in a very rural area and the likelihood of the local cell tower being upgraded to 4g anytime soon is pretty slim.  Also, the likelihood of 4g being available anytime soon in the areas we typically travel is also pretty slim.  Plus (one last big plus), I currently have a grandfathered unlimited plan.  I commonly use a bit over 5 gig monthly so I would have to sign up for the 10 gig plan - costing $20/mo more than I currently pay and since 4g is not available here, it would be $20/mo more for the same service.

One thing to note - AFIK, if you have a DD214 (ever served in the military), you can get the 15% discount on the $80.00 10 gig plan.  While they would not do it for the "old" "5Gig" and "unlimited" plans, they will do it for the new 4G plans.  If you do travel near one of the current 4G areas, it's definitely worth it to get the 10 Gig plan for $68.00, which is only $8.05 more than the old "5Gig" plan.  And when you are out of the 4G areas, you still get 3G.  If you already have the military discount (or any other employers discount) on your regular cell, it will automatically calculate it on the new plan.  (at least it did for me).

Ralph

Does any company sell the card by the month. I already have Charter high speed at home. Just want it when we go south for a couple of months.

Scott

Verizon has a month-by-month (pay as you go) offering for data services. See Prepaid plans
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

If you buy your own equipment, you can suspend or cancel service without penalty. There are plenty available on ebay for under $40.

Or tether with a phone instead of a dedicated modem. Many phones can be tethered to a laptop and function as a modem, and the data service can be turned on and off at will. No data contract needed, since the phone already has a a phone number and account.

Back
Top Bottom