Very discouraged with Boat N RV service...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanbuskirk

We purchased a slightly used 2008 Gulf Stream FRED from the Hamburg, PA Boat N RV location in October of this year. We did all of the right things by taking our time and performing a comprehensive inspection of the unit and finalizing a Owe You list before finalizing the sale. Since the items on the list were not anything that would bring in the coach after we winterized and made an appointment to drop it off December 2nd...of which we did. Since the drop-off our communications have been limited. The first call was from them letting us know that the unit was checked in but asking me why it was brought in. I explained why and asked what was the estimated date that it would be returned to us. I was told that if any parts are required the current part delivery is approximately 4 - 6 weeks. I immediately responded that they knew exactly what part was required and it should have been ordered in October not wait until we brought the unit in. Since then I haven't heard a thing except that they located our file. I have left several messages but never receive a return call. We are very happy with the MH but at this point in time we are very discouraged with their service department.

Just wondering if this is their overall standard customer service or is just the Hamburg location?

Have you ever wondered where RV repair places get their parts from? I needed a toilet repair kit and an AC start condenser to put back in my spares bin. It took 15 minutes on the computer to find, confirm and order the right parts. They took 4 days to be in my hand. Where does 4-6 weeks come from? Do they make different parts for the dealers? I am amazed. I worked on cars for years. Even the most difficult part rarely took a week until it was in my hand. With the markup they take on the parts, I'm not convinced that waiting until they get several items to ship at one time is a legitimate reason for such slow service.

ken

I 100% agree.  There are only two items on the list that require replacement parts and am positive they are not manufacturer specific so it's obviously just an excuse for their service delays.  Just after I created my post I decided to call them again and to my shock someone finally answered and told me that my work- order was written last week.  I asked why it took over two weeks from drop-off to establish the work order and of course she couldn't answer the question except to tell me that they have over 100 units on their lot waiting for service.  I was thinking that perhaps we should open an RV Service Center in our area as it appears that the opportunities are plentiful!

100 units on their lot for service is the real reason. They ain't gonna be doin' a punch list for a completed sale when there's a bunch of gravy sittin' in the lot.

Bill

And now we see the reason for the admonition not to take delivery until after everything is completed to your satisfaction. Can you guess how long this would have taken if you'd said, "We'll take delivery as soon as these things are completed."?

So sorry you're dealing with such frustration! I will remember your story if I'm being tempted/arm-twisted into taking delivery while there's still "just a few minor things to take care of" when it comes time to buy our future home.

Update:  We made a personal visit today and escalated our issues to the GM. No answer and no excuses for the lack of urgency but she did fix the problem asap. Our MH will be in the repair bay on Monday. She agreed that three weeks of no progress and non-communication is unacceptable and apologized profusely for their lack of service. I am still annoyed but at least the ball is rolling.

Someone I know is sitting in a loaner TT while their MH is repair after a minor accident. While the MH is in the shop they had a few other minor items added to the work order to get fixed. Nothing major, just simple repairs. Well I believe its week number nine for them and still no ETA on when the repairs will be done.

Seems the dealership has a huge backlog of repair work waiting and the problem isn't with getting parts its having staff, especially qualified staff to do the work and sufficient cash flow to acquire the necessary parts to get the work done.  Folks read reviews of those businesses you're thinking of patronizing. You'd be surprised what's been said...and take each review with a grain of salt...look for consistencies in the comments and you'll know if its a problem or a difference in opinions.

I was in the vehicle service business then ran large municipal fleets.  It seems that customer service died a long time ago.  I have had my problems with Camping World where they screwed up the most mundane job.  There are reliable shops here in N.E. Illinois that I like and also at the coach manufacturers and other places nearby.

Ask around and get others opinions is always a good idea.

Keith

I ordered an awning replacement from Camping World, and had taken measurements myself. The service writer wanted to take his own measurements, which did not match mine. So I asked the manager to take a look and he came up with a third set of figures. So we agreed that the technician who would actually do the job should measure, which he did. Since he was the one to do the job we used his numbers and it came out OK.  But four different measurements all different??? Then when they finished the job they left the old hardware still attached.  When I complained, they removed the hardware but did not fill in the holes until I complained again.

No, I'm no longer a fan of Camping World. Fortunately I've found a couple independent guys who are very good.

I have not had a major repair on my motorhome as of yet but when I took my 1 year old boat back to Bass Pro shop for the yearly service, which was just a oil change and inspect and they had it for 2 weeks, the service writer said this was normal for the there service work, would hate to see if I needed a part..

Back
Top Bottom