Very slow rear mainseal leak. Ford 460. Quick fix snake oil??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbkoonse

I suspect that I may have a very slow rear main leak in my Ford 460 gasser. Any additives that may be more beneficial than harmful? 

No additive will fix the leak.  Some may mask the symptoms, but only delay the inevitable, replacing the leaking seal.

What Ned said.

I have a leaky rear main on my 'burb and am just going to add oil until either the engine or transmission has to be pulled for some other reason, or the leak gets worse than 1 qt/500 miles or so.

With some engines, you can change the rear seal without pulling the engine or transmission.  I'm not sure, but I believe the Ford 460 is one of those engines.  A good repair shop could tell you for sure.

Thanks all. First check and clean PVC system. Second, I have a good shop and I will ask them if they can change the seal without pulling engine or trans....

The rear seal can be changed on a 460, but be sure that is where the leak is. It is common to have valve covers and or the oil pressure sending units or even the intake manifold to leak and they will find their way to the lowest point to drip and look just like a rear main leak, there have been many seals changed when they were not the problem. If you remove the engine cover you can see where the leak maybe much easier if it is indeed from the top of the engine.

ironrat said:
The rear seal can be changed on a 460, but be sure that is where the leak is. It is common to have valve covers and or the oil pressure sending units or even the intake manifold to leak and they will find their way to the lowest point to drip and look just like a rear main leak, there have been many seals changed when they were not the problem. If you remove the engine cover you can see where the leak maybe much easier if it is indeed from the top of the engine.

again, thanks for all......!

thought mine was rear mail seal ended  up being lower fuel pump shut off switch that tee off bottom of oil pressure switch mine 1984 460

A few years back I thought my ford had a rear main seal leaking. After some hard looking I found it was the oil sending unit at the back top of the motor leaking and ruining down the back making it look like the rear main was leaking.
Good luck with your problem. It can be repaired.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom