Visiting Utah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GGCOBY

Looking for an Rv park in the area of national parks in Utah. Wanted to know if anyone has been and has advice for a park that is located near all the parks.
Thanks

Looking for an Rv park in the area of national parks in Utah. Wanted to know if anyone has been and has advice for a park that is located near all the parks.
Thanks
I used to backpack in Zion Nat'l Park a lot. All in the high county. But I have not yet been in that area in an RV, but probably soon will. Utah has a lot to see and many RV parks.

Anyway, I have been looking here and trying to decide.

I am hoping to hear some suggestions for Utah also. It could be my next RV trip.

-Don- Reno, NV

Lots of RV parks in Moab. You can visit Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, and Dead Horse Point SP. The other NPs aren’t near one another so you’d want to be close to one at a time for a couple of days. Capitol Reef NP has a delightful campground (no hookups). Zion NP has a campground - required reservations and there are several private campgrounds outside the park. I think most people stay at Ruby’s Inn when visiting Bryce Canyon NP. It’s a beautiful state with amazing places to visit. Enjoy.

Stay at the Love's RV park in Salina, Utah. It's right off of the exit on I-70. Quite new and I just saw it yesterday. It's really nice. You can visit Zion and Bryce on one day, then Capitol Reef, Arches, and Canyonlands on the next. The speed limits are up to 80 MPH. Zoom, zoom, and zoom at 80 MPH plus whatever. It's high desert. Who cares. Be sure to fill up. The next services sign on I-70 east states 108 miles. There's really nothing there at all. I drive it often.

download (2).jpeg

Last edited:
Zion and Arches are anywhere from 300-400 miles apart depending on the route you take.

We last visited Moab, Arches, and Canyonlands and stayed at Portal RV Resort in Moab. Fantastic accomodations.

You really need to move to see all the parks in Utah. As mentioned already Moab is a good spot for 3 parks.

North is Green River and the San Rafael Swell area and Goblin Valley.

Torrey near Capitol Reef has a few RV parks.

Escalante if you want to see some if Grand Staircase Escalante.

St George is good for Snow Canyon State Park.

Highly recommend Bears Ears National Monument and Natural Bridges. We camped at Goosenecks State Park. No facilities but beautiful.

Jacob Lake for the North Rim (not Utah but close to other parks).

There are campsites near Red Canyon and close to Bryce. Might be forest sites but I can’t remember. Cedar Breaks National Monument is great too and fairly close.

Go to Zion and stay at Watchman campground in the park. Most beautiful campground in the country. Angels Landing is one of the best hikes in the country.

80 MPH ONLY on I80 north and south thru the center of the state.. The state max on most roads is 65 or as posted..>>>Dan

We've stayed at the RV Corral in Kanab Utah. It's a nice park and maybe a half hour from the East entrance of Zion. We've used it as base to visit, Bryce, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell. There were other areas we would have seen but didn't have the time. One in particular is the highway 12 drive to Escalante.

Go to Zion and stay at Watchman campground in the park. Most beautiful campground in the country. Angels Landing is one of the best hikes in the country.
I hiked up the West Rim Trail from Zion Canyon all the way to Lava Point. The hike from Zion Canyon to Telephone Canyon is probably the most continuous uphill hike I have even done.

Of course, I was a lot younger in those days.

Very scenic hike where the scenery changes every mile or so.

-Don- Reno, NV

During my 62th birthday week I hiked Angels Landing four times and the Narrows on every other day for 7 days of incredible hiking.
While the Narrows is probably the most famous hike in Zion, it's one I have never done.

I used to backpack a lot in the Zion high county, mostly above 7,000' elevation. I have been perhaps just about everywhere in the high country. My favorite hike is to Beartrap Canyon. Shady and scenic, good summer hike.

Zion is one of the most likely USA parks to be killed in. The Narrows has claimed many lives. Add the falls from Angel's Landing and other places.

43 people killed in Zion Nat'l Park in the last ten years.

Beartrap Canyon:

4b061bec45723c7b8f0bd75a930d0151.jpg

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
80 MPH ONLY on I80 north and south thru the center of the state.. The state max on most roads is 65 or as posted..>>>Dan
The last time I was in Utah, the speed limit on I-15 was 85 mph when far from towns. And the road had rubber from damaged tires piled up mile after mile. Even many of the 18 wheelers go 85 MPH, which I assume is well above their tire ratings.

Even east of Reno on I-80 the speed limit is 80 MPH when not close to any of the towns. But 85 MPH I have only seen in a few places, Texas, Utah and I think the other was South Dakota.

-Don- Reno, NV

When we were in Moab earlier this year, we spent 5 full days. Arches is a full day if you just stay on the paved road and stop at some of the roadside attractions. We did that on one day, and then the 2nd and 3rd days we traveled to some of the more remote attractions accessible only by high-clearance 4x4, like Eye of The Whale Arch and Marching Men. We didn't spend much time in the town of Moab, mostly to catch a bite and cool off at the end of our day's adventures. It's a neat town.

Note: Arches is now a timed-entry park. You need to reserve your entry time unless you plan to enter outside of the reservation windows.

The subsequent two days we played up off of Sand Flats and the back side of Canyonlands doing Jeep things. We're headed back there soon, and planning on a Zion/Bryce trip for the following year.

Ditto what others have said about the need to stay at several locations. Portal RV park is a nice park close to Arches and Canyonlands. We like Thousand Lakes RV park in Torrey for visiting Capitol Reef.

Whie the Narrows is probably the most famous hike in Zion, it's one I have never done.

I used to backpack a lot in the Zion high county, mostly above 7,000' elevation. I have been perhaps just about everywhere in the high country. My favorite hike is to Beartrap Canyon. Shady and scenic, good summer hike.

Zion is one of the most likely USA parks to be killed in. The Narrows has claimed many lives. Add the falls from Angel's Landing and other places.

43 people killed in Zion Nat'l Park in the last ten years.

See here.

Beartrap Canyon:

4b061bec45723c7b8f0bd75a930d0151.jpg

-Don- Reno, NV
One time while visiting Zion a shuttle bus driver told me that last month he got to witness someone falling from the Angels Landing hike. I asked him if the guy screamed and he told me "Yes, all the way down."

There is an excellent book called called "Over the Edge: Death In the Grand Canyon." It is amazing the various ways people qualified for a Darwin Award.

Here is a link to the book:

Thanks
There is nothing that is conveniently located central to all the National Parks in Utah, really. The closest to meeting that might be Torrey, near the Capital Reef area. several nice RV Parks are around there, and that is 2-4 hours driving to most of the parks in Utah.

One time while visiting Zion a shuttle bus driver told me that last month he got to witness someone falling from the Angels Landing hike. I asked him if the guy screamed and he told me "Yes, all the way down."
RIP

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldgal
Back
Top Bottom