Vista 2010 or 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blues Driver

I am a newbie and currently considering ;
  2010 Vista 26p, asking $40,000. Ford V 10. with 5 sp. tranny.    60,300 miles in very good condition inside and out. Minor cracking in graphics. Tires and 12V batteries 18 mos. Batteries may well be Marine. Seller is 2nd owner, 4 years,  and has done his own maintenance for oil changes etc.  and has not replaced brakes. Brakes inspected by Ford dealer and given a clean bill of health.  We are concerned about the mileage and I guestimate $1500 to $2000 total when time comes for rotors, calipers and pads. ?? Steering stabilizer added but no trac bars replacement/ upgrades. I estimate $1000 to $1500 ?? should those be needed. Not sure about the age of the shocks. I think original equipmentso I am thinking Bilsteins. 
I want to put an ~600 to 800 watt solar system with 2 to 4 GC6V batteries on whatever rig we end up with starting with a battery monitor for a realistic determination.  We live in S Nevada but plan to make summer mos trips of 2 to 3 weeks in Pacific Northwest, winters in Yuma, Quartzsite or So CAl area  . We like the State Parks but not much interested in the RV Resort scene so the energy independence is important.
Any thoughts or your experiences appreciated on these items and anything else pertinent to the particular rig or the 60,000 miles. 
Thanks in advance,
Pat

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Sorry about the 2012 reference . That's another post.  Basically whether the 2012 Vista 26P similarly equipped with 31,500 miles is worth an additional $10,000
Thanks again. Pat

My thought is that 60k miles is not very much on a V10 engine. I'd guess you may get up to 100k on the brakes and will just need replacement pads if the rotors are still good. The original shocks should also be good up to 100k. I do know, other things being equal, I wouldn't pay an extra $10,000 for a 30,000 mile difference. 

I have 88,000 miles on my 19 year old F-250 diesel pickup truck and still on the original brakes. We have 117,000 miles on our 2005 Horizon and still on the original brakes. 60k miles on the unit you are looking at is no problem, it is far better that it get used than not. I would be very suspicious of its condition if it only had say 10k miles on a nine or ten year old unit.

We have a 2010 Vista 32k. The 60k miles would not scare me. For me, it would come down to maintenace and condition of all the systems.

We own a 2010 Vista 30w and love it. Of course we did the suspension fix and steering stabilizer. It's been trouble free with 32k on her. Full paint and every option available. I would make a offer and roll if it's what you want. :))

Bought the 2010. It is clean and well maintained.  I am currently researching and installing solar which I am posting in Solar.
Thanks for your replies.
Pat

Thanks for the update. Congrats on the new-to-you rig. I think you made a smart choice and you should get years of enjoyment out of that low mileage RV.

It seems the long term average mileage for most motorhomes is right around 5,000 - 6,000 miles per year, so 60,000 miles on a 10-11 year old coach is about what you should expect.  Keep in mind very few motorhomes die from worn out engines, as other things tend to get them first, either leaks, accidents, or just simple age.  Note I am only talking about worn out engines here, ie. failure that could be directly attributed to wear, like worn rings, not engine failures which might occur at any time due to a number of factors.  This is because modern engines like the 6.8 V10 have a design service life of 150,000 - 200,000 miles, and even if you continue to average 6,000 miles per year, you will not get to this service life range for another 15+ years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom