Voltage Regulators and Surge Protectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought I didn't need one until low voltage got me in Amarillo one day. I was reading when the lights momentarily dimed and the washer stopped. Nearly $400.00 to repair the washer. Now I have one and use it all the time.
Bill

I have been asking this question in other post of whether I should get one of these or not. Glad  found this. I have been looking at the brand listed here by Gary and was not sure if it had the quality of the more expensive one. Having a hard time selling the $800 one to the other half when we have never had a known issue with this. $400 sounds better but wanted to make sure it would work. Thanks Gary

What device did you see that cost $800?  Even the most expensive Progressive Industries model retails for $431.

I don't recall an $800 suggestion. You can get a top quality 50A EMS/surge protector for under $300. From either Progressive or TRC (Surge Guard).  Even the combined transfer switch & power monitor like I have is around $450 and that includes a remote display. Of course, it's going to cost more if you have to pay for installation, but basic electrical skills are all that is needed for DIY.

I just ordered this guy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050EH004/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to install it....
either in the outside storage locker that holds the cable
OR
under the bed where the transfer switch is.
Any recommendations on that?

I read earlier posts that spoke of a potential issue if connecting after the transfer switch, something about gennys with floating grounds????
I guess this thing is primarily to protect against unknowns in the shore power, but I could see benefits to protecting form a haywire generator, too.

Good choice.  I suggest putting it before the transfer switch as you don't have to be concerned about wiring problems with a generator, but if it's more convenient put it after the transfer switch.

Not sure where I got that price in my head. Just looked again and your right no where near that much. Not seeing the need so I am pretty sure my Lumpy pricing kicked in to justify not getting one. Install not an issue. As in other discussions I will see the need if damage happens just once.

Consider it an insurance policy. If you ever need it, it's worth every penny. If not, well, you sleep better at night.

It is certainly possible you will only go to parks with solid power and rare external surges. Heck, your home gets surges all the time too and few people buy extra protection for those. But RV park power systems are sometimes "iffy" to begin with and they take a lot of abuse that most homes never see, so the risk is higher.

I have whole house lightning arrestor, surge capacitor, and phone line circuit protection at home
http://www.deltasurgeprotectors.com/products.cfm

I know it's not complete or fool proof, but it does add a level of increase in piece of mind with as much lightning we have here in FL.

Oh, and regarding the $800..... add in one of those autoformers or similar and there you go..... could this have been were you had the number in your head from?

Not sure but started seeing more of these hanging from poles in the parks. I do have surge protection in the house on all sensitive equipment. Work in electronics for over 20 years and repaired equipment from strikes. I looked at camping world in Ft Myers when we there and the sticker shock kind of chased me away. Have surge protection on the TVs but will do nothing for low voltage and the AC. Gary you got it cheap if looked at as insurance need to Get R done. No ever said RVing was cheap.

I wanted to update this. I did end up purchasing a surge protection from camping world. I have been hanging on the pole and found no issues till I was in Canada. I hooked it up and it indicated the neutral and ground were reversed. Far as I am concerned it just paid for itself. The camp was not to happy with me but did give me another site. 

Put a surge guard (preferably one made by Progressive Industries) between the auto-former and CG pedestal.

For the most part a neutral/ground swap can not be detected, a hot/neutral can. but the odds of it doing harm are small.

That said.... Used to have a trailer that would knock me on my.....pride..... if that happened, and the prior owner could not tell the dark screw from the bright screw so when he made up the plug adapter... He reversed it... I fixed.

But it is good the Surge-Guard (TM) worked.

We just purchased this http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-surge-guard-protectors-30-amp/73993.  So far we have had no issues, but as Gary stated, it is an insurance policy.  I consider ourselves lucky we have not had a problem and have no interest in pushing our luck any longer.  It can also be useful in determining if there is an electrical problem or no electric at a pedestal before setting up.  We just received it ahead of our next trip in a couple weeks, so i cannot offer any speciic experience with it yet.

The fourth campground we stopped at with our new rig had to rewire the pedestal because of our progressive.  Can't remember what the problem was.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom