Volume on outside TV is way too low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgliatti

Greetings-I'm a new member and have a 2010 Journey Express, and I'm a rookie <5 years, so please be gentle! 

Outside of the coach there is a Jansen TV for tailgates, etc. (this might be called a basement TV?) The volume is too quiet to hear games, even at 100%. Seems to be same whether on Sat or antenna.  3 questions please:

A) The volume on this TV is MUCH lower than any other TV on the coach-any idea why?  I've checked settings and don't see anything odd.
B) There is a Jansen radio with 2 speakers just underneath-but no setting like AUX, or other source routes TV sound through this.  It seems like it should!?  Can it?
C) How do I get behind the TV to maybe install additional speakers if there are no other feasible answers?

Thank you all, and GO BUCKS!  Mike 

I am trying to remember what it was like in my 2010 Journey.  I had the same set up and the same issue. I think that the Jensen would work to amplify the TV, but for some reason it only worked when it was playing a DVD. I think that the TV and the Jensen had to be on a certain setting, but it would play a movie through the speakers. 

A) The volume on this TV is MUCH lower than any other TV on the coach-any idea why?  I've checked settings and don't see anything odd.

Perhaps so you don't disturb the neighbors?

On our 2012 Journey the Jenson radio is also a DVD player and has the aux setting that the TV is wires into so the radio speakers are also used. If your radio is not a DVD player also it might not have this capability. It should be easy enough to swat out the radio for a different on that you can wire the TV's sound through easy enough though.  Another possibility if you have the space there is to add a sound bar to the TV's audio output jack.

First off have you got a manual for you TV? If not you can go to the Jensen web site and down load one. I have the same outside radio/TV setup and both the radio and TV sound is routed through the speakers below the TV. I have not had to look for any way to set it up this way as it came properly set up.

Where are the speakers located? LOTS of flat panel TV's have rear firing speakers expecting to reflect off the wall they are mounted on. That which you probably don't have?

There are two factors that require more volume outside versus inside a room.

The first is the ambient noise level.  Unless you're in a perfectly quiet setting, there's usually more ambient noise outside the rig than inside.  The walls attenuate the incoming background noise when you're inside the RV and your ears adjust to the lower sound level.  This is why when you're inside the RV you can often hear conversations taking place outside, but can't hear inside conversations while standing outside the rig.

A TV has to be louder to deliver the same perceived sound level when outside.  Unfortunately, the louder sound will also carry farther towards your neighbors.

The second issue is the walls of the room tend to contain and amplify the sound.  Outside the sound doesn't have anything to bounce off of and just dissipates.

Since this is a mass produced TV, it's designed to deliver an adequate sound level inside a closed, quiet room and just doesn't have enough power to produce the louder sound required outside the RV.

Lou is correct. Rather than the sound police chiming in before the facts are in, why not wait for the OP to return and answer the question of what direction the speakers are facing. Obviously rear facing speakers need to be a LOT louder and that ain't good

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom