W-20/W-22 Workhorse Chassis Brake Problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rickandcheryl said:
Now, what about those of us who have paid big money to have this defect fixed????

It looks like it. Hit the Document Search button at the bottom of the Defects and Recall page and view the second document. It states:

(8)
PLAN FOR REIMBURSEMENT /Part 573.6 ((')(8)(i)/
? Some of the vehicles in this recall fall outside the warranty period; therefore, Navistar's plan for reimbursement of pre-notification remedies, on file and dated 1/7/2007, appl ies and instructions will be included in the customer notification.

This is a great day for Workhorse W22 owners.  The long wait is finally over.  :)

Absolutely a great day!  ;D

Going back to some of my very first posts on this subject a l-o-n-g time ago, I see that one of the main things I originally wanted was to have the affected chassis inspected at no charge to determine who might be susceptible to a failure; looks like "NAVISTAR IS RECALLING 47,055 MY 2001-2006 WORKHORSE W22 SERIES RECREATIONAL VEHICLES" just got my first wish...

Many of us have strongly felt that there were brake-parts issues, not maintenance issues, or at least at this point I don't read anything that the problem originates with not doing more than the normally required maintenace, not driving it enough, driving in a manner that would be 'operator error', etc, etc. that we've heard repeatedly. It's great that the NHTSA report is finally out, though I'm sure we haven't heard the final word, especially since I don't see the words 'W20 chassis'.

Any clarification on W20 Units. Reading through the document it states under Identification of Vehicles,
and Other Identification Necessary to Describe Vehicles: Equipped with axles that include Bosch ZOPS or Bosch ZOHT Pin Slide hydralic disc brakes.

02 windsport said:
  Any clarification on W20 Units. Reading through the document it states under Identification of Vehicles,
and Other Identification Necessary to Describe Vehicles: Equipped with axles that include Bosch ZOPS or Bosch ZOHT Pin Slide hydraulic disc brakes.

Good question; I don't know how many W20 and W22 chassis were sold in those model years, so I too was wondering if the W20 will be a separate outcome or if maybe the use of the word 'W22 chassis' is generic and the NHTSA report apples to all those Workhorse chassis using the exact-same same brake components.

I just off the phone with Workhorse, and was told that they won't have the official details until around November 2009.  Also, that not all model years chassis in the 2001-2006 are affected, and Workhorse will be coming out with VIN ranges of the affected chassis'.   :)

I didn't ask if the brake failure costs of the past by these affected units will be covered retrospectively (love the spellchecker here at RVForum.net!) .  Hopefully, we hear something about this when the "official" details come out by Workhorse.  I wouldn't hold my breath for this though, as most recalls by automakers won't cover these costs, and I seriously doubt that Workhorse will either.

I do appreciate the members here at RVForum.net that put pressure on Workhorse, and consequently filed reports at the NHTSA.  This is what recalls are all about folks.  ;)

Voyage1 said:
I just off the phone with Workhorse, and was told that they won't have the official details until around November 2009.

Seven and half months, or more, until official details? That sure seems like a long time, especially with the traveling season now upon us. Wonder why such a long delay...

rickandcheryl, it DOES look like a retrospective payment by owners who had filed to the NHTSA and had the brake issue outside this recall time!  ;D   Here is the language that applies to this:

PLAN FOR REIMBURSEMENT /Part 573.6
? Some of the vehicles in this recall fall outside the warranty period; therefore, Navistar's plan for reimbursement of pre-notification remedies, on file and dated 1/7/2007, applies and instructions will be included in the customer notification.

On Edit:  oops....Brakeless beat me to this language!  Good reply Brakeless! 

Richard 34A said:
Seven and half months, or more, until official details? That sure seems like a long time, especially with the traveling season now upon us. Wonder why such a long delay...

Hey Richard....yeah seems like a long time, but the NHTSA is forcing the recall, and Navistar will have to implement this.  I suspect it will take some time for the new parts and all the Workhorse/Navistar dealers be notified and have parts in stock before a paper copy of the recall goes to each owner.  ;)

Richard 34A said:

There was a recall in the works for Freightliner IFS chassis with the Zonderfunk (ZF) front suspension for a potential steering gear box problem for maybe 18 months?  I must have heard about this steering box problem in late 2007 and around the end of the 2008 I finally get a Freightliner recall notice.  The wheels of industry turn very slowly when it is money going out of the company's pocket (like a mail-in rebate.)

Congratulations W 20/22 series owners. It been a very long road and now you can see light at the end of the tunnel.  Unfortunately, my guess is that it will be a pretty long tunnel.  But, enjoy your MH while you wait.

IN Feb 09 had to have entire brake system replaced due to caliper failure. The dealer,Parkview RV in DE,replaced everything
except the calipers. They said they just needed lubrication and would work fine.
Drove to FL,for the Winter,and the brakes worked ok. On the way back we had to go through heavy stop and go traffic.
The rear brakes locked up and would not allow the coach to proceed. We pulled off,into a Home Depot parking lot,
waited 20 minutes and tried to go again. This time the brakes worked ok and we proceeded to
go home. Have made an appointment,with Parkview,to recheck the brake system.
Will inform Forum of results.

Well. I think still that a lot of the problems are lack of proper lubrication and care WHEN THE RIG IS AT THE FACTORY before a house is put on top of the chassis (least you think I'm accusing you of not doing what's needed)

However.. NHTSA has ordered a recall of selected Workhorse W-22's. I know my unit falls in the age range, likely yours does too, but it will be much later before I know for sure if my unit is recalled.

You may need to contact Workhorse

John In Detroit said:
Well. I think still that a lot of the problems are lack of proper lubrication and care WHEN THE RIG IS AT THE FACTORY before a house is put on top of the chassis (least you think I'm accusing you of not doing what's needed)

John, I know you have been pushing this as "the reason", but it turns out your premise is not correct.  Like we all knew months ago, the Caliper pins are swelling with moisture causing them to enlarge in the slides, not releasing the brake calipers....this is the reason for the recall.  ;)

They are made, more then likely, of high grade steel, they do not "Swell" with moisture, but they can rust and if you are running thousands of an inch tollerances, it don't take much rust.

Then when the steel pins and the cast iron around them get hot, the expansion that naturally happens happens at different rates (the pins expand faster) so the tollerance gets tighter and tighter and .. Then there was none

It's not the pins that are the problem, it is the phenolic pistons in the calipers that are swelling with moisture and heat, then seizing in the extended position causing the pad to drag and overheat. Replacing just the pistons is not a common repair so calipers with a newly designed piston will have to be supplied to the dealer, then the cores will probably be factory rebuilt with new pistons. Also a large rotor stock will have to be manufactured for replacing any cracked from overheating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timothious
Back
Top Bottom