Walking on roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyjohn

I am 6' tall and weight 230# and my wife tells me I am too big to walk or craw on top of our 2004 Class A Trade Winds Motor Home. Is there any truth in this? Thanks

I'm the same size you are and I walk on mine all the time. Well, at least twice a year.

Ken

kyjohn said:
I am 6' tall and weight 230# and my wife tells me I am too big to walk or craw on top of our 2004 Class A Trade Winds Motor Home. Is there any truth in this? Thanks

We've got a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer and hubby is between 200 and 220 and we've had no issues.  I was going to suggest wearing snow shoes but I'm new on here and didn't want anyone to think I'm batty.  ;)

(Sadly) I'm on the (very) far side of 250, and I'm on the roof of my 2002 Winnebago Minnie when ever it's needed.

Most of these coaches were built to hold an "average sized person" on the roof...what average is, is never mentioned...:p  and, of course, if the roof has ever had any leaks...that might have compromised the roof integrity and strength.

louiskathy said:
We've got a 2000 Winnebago Adventurer and hubby is between 200 and 220 and we've had no issues.  I was going to suggest wearing snow shoes but I'm new on here and didn't want anyone to think I'm batty.  ;)

Snow shoes, that is a good one. I think snow sky's would be a better choice.  ;) lol

Do you have to look for the bows (ribs) to step or can I do as I see others do, just walk around on top?

I walk on mine all the time - to inspect, clean, maintain etc. and each time I do I laugh at the sticker Winnebago put on the roof, right a the top of the ladder. It says, "Don't walk on the roof. It can be hazardous." That's probably why I've heard that Winnie has stopped putting ladders on many of their new coaches - that and it's another way to cut costs.

I haven't found any weak spots in the roof but ours is fiberglass. I just stay away from the radiused edges.

Kev

kyjohn said:

6'2" and have been over 330 pounds (now over 300 pounds) walking on roof 2x a year minimum, usally more often.. When the blower motor went out on one of the A/C units Shawn (who is nearly as big as me) and I were both up there using a combination of his tool box and my brains to make the job a whole lot easier than was expected. (yes, I studied engineering on my way to a certificate in Electronics Tech) .

how dos that tag line go: Vegan Zombie:  I WANT GRRRAAAINNNSSSS

If you are doubtful about the weight, use a piece of plywood on which to put your weight so it's spread out more.  Jerry goes on the roof (as well as other people's) when needed, although he's the RV Forum's "energizer bunny" and a comparative lightweight.  Someone else also should be present in case something goes wrong or if you need something.  It's best to minimize the number of trips up and down the ladder from a safety viewpoint.  I guess I worry more about the ladder than the roof!  When you go to an RV factory the workers walk all over the roof - and wear harnesses.

ArdraF

I was going to suggest wearing snow shoes but I'm new on here and didn't want anyone to think I'm batty ;D ;D

I'm 230 also and walk on my roof when cleaning and sealing. My roof is much more solid than my buddies Storm. On his we have to find the ribs to walk on, so all coachs aren't the same. My son-in-law used to have a Cruiser 5er that had a very soft roof, and it had signs to keep off. He always took it back to the dealer to have his roof work done. They had a bay with a cat walk that they worked off of.

I have discovered over the past 10 years that there are younger,  lighter,  more agile people I can HIRE to go up on the roof. What a nice thing to know!!!

Thanks for all the support. So up on the roof I will be going. I am putting AirTabs on the rear of our Motor Home and the wife was just worried I was too heavy to be up there. I will show her all the answers I got here and hope that makes her feel better. Thanks again.

kyjohn said:
Thanks for all the support. So up on the roof I will be going. I am putting AirTabs on the rear of our Motor Home and the wife was just worried I was too heavy to be up there. I will show her all the answers I got here and hope that makes her feel better. Thanks again.
Let us know how the air tabs work.
Bill

I tip it at 390 and have been told I can walk up there on my 2008 Winnie.  I will tend to crawl more than walk.

Mopar1973Man said:
I had a gent over on my side of the fence try the air tabs but never heard him jump up and down about any gains.

Well, I will find out and let you all know. At least they will keep the back of the RV clean and the back up camera clean. I know a lot of truckers use them and other RV'ers that had them on the Motor Home and also put them on when they traded for another RV. No, I do not think I will be jumping up and down about all the gains but anything that helps, I am for.

I'm 226 and walk on the roof more like 4 times a year. Most roofs are aluminum or steel construction with 3/8" minimum plywood or a glued board structure,  perfectly safe to walk on, however the slides are another thing. I think mine has 1/4" luan or plywood a little weaker and I do stay on the ribs whenever I have be on the slide outs.  I put Airtabs on the fiver, the back stays much cleaner but I notice no mileage gain.

I am about 190 and 5'9", my husband is in the low 200's and 5'11".  When we had our 2006 Winnie he put plywood on top as it
wasn't as firm, you could see where the ribs were on it.  On our old 92 American Eagle we have been all over it. 
It's solid and when the AC's and skylights were off you could see the steel frame.  In fact I was up there yesterday washing it down.  I don't walk down it though as I'm afraid I might fall off, I'm getting old, I pretty much go over it on hands and knees.
Need to anyway as in the middle there are 3 skylights in a row across it, looks like that would make it weak.  It's a good thing
they used steel or that would be a very weak area I would think.  My biggest concern is knocking the ladder down and can't
get down!!  It happened once but I had a tenant that lived next door and my daughter went and got him.  I told her if she
heard me screaming yesterday to just call 911, not sure what else she could do.  If she told them where I was I suppose
they would send someone!  Out here our cellphone doesn't work, though come to think of it maybe it would on the top
of the motorhome, have to try that!! Just make sure you have a good solid ladder ours is 16 ft with fiberglass sides and
aluminum steps otherwise I couldn't lift it. 

I cut a sheet of 1/4 " particle board in half long ways and use it if I'm working on something up there.Kneeling tends to put more pressure in a smaller area.For washing I just try to stand on the ribs.My roof is 18yrs old and Filon

Take a look at the infield shots at a NASCAR race and you will see people routinely setting on the roof,of,their RVs.  Now I am sure that some put plywood up there to spread out the load but you can see 2-4 people just setting in lawn chairs without any additional support.  And these people are significant RVers to spend the time and money going to the races.  No real worry.

Back
Top Bottom