WalMart campground?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "No Overnight Parking" law in Cortez is a city ordinance, pushed through the city council by the campground owners (I was there at the council meeting, I know). I have never, ever seen anyone "camped" at our local Wal-Mart, or anywhere in Cortez outside of a campground. I have never seen a grill put out or even an awning. I've seen neat, tidy RVs parked there overnight. We've parked on many occasions at Wal-Marts across the country. We have never put out the awning, grill, satellite dish, or even the dog crate. We stop to fix dinner and to eat and, yes, usually to shop. But if we were asked by a police officer to move along, we would probably move along....no need to hassle a cop who's just doing his job. If campground prices returned to reasonable prices, I'd probably stay with them more often.

Wendy

Sue/Al said:
The subject title says it all...Walmart Campground???? there in lies the problem, Walmart is not a campground, an overnight spot possible unless posted "No Overnight", and don't blame this on area campgrounds, i

Several of the members of this forum have posted earlier in this thread about attending city council meetings where such laws were being considered... Also links to minutes of such meetings have been posted and/or links to newspaper and other media articles about these meetings.

In each and every case those speaking in FAVOR of prohibiting overnight parking on Wal-Mart (or other) lots were indeed campground owners, or their legal representives.

So, yes, we blame campground owners... Follow the links, read the info for yourself and then reply

As for Fred... Often if you ask to officer to put it in writing and sign it,  he will be more than happy to do so, but then you are going to meet the officer again... On your court date

Could you please give us chapter and verse of the federal DOT statute?  Thanks in advance (I do have an old copy of "What Every Commericial Driver Must Know" and I'm sure it's in there, but alas I'm not sure where it is at this time)

While we have never attended a meeting of any kind in our city or county, and do not know who attends, we do know people who work for our city/county and have spoken to Walmart Managers where we have heard about the campers for weeks at a time, and we are speaking about our Beautiful State of Florida, not anywhere else. And also pretty sure that Walmart is considered private property owned by them deeded to them? and if your sleepy and pull in my driveway also(private property) you will get chased, and whether or not you get in an accident, you would not have a leg to stand on trying to sue, in a court of law. The fore mentioned is strictly an example....as far as challenging the police if the parking lot is clearly posted No Overnight, well Lot's of luck...Ya'll    For cheap camping check out state parks, they're all over never found one over $20.00 of course we get senior discounts too.

Tom:

I tried Quilted Northern and finally had to give up on it.  Three jammed macerators in a two week period.  I went back to Thetford and no more problems.  This might be macerator specific, dunno.

Recently we switched from Thetford to a more comfortable deluxe single ply Scott and still have had no problems.  Right now Scott deluxe single ply is our choice, but we still have an open mind and an open toilet.  :D

Smoky said:
Tom:

I went back to Thetford and no more problems. 

Recently we switched from Thetford to a more comfortable deluxe single ply Scott and still have had no problems.  Right now Scott deluxe single ply is our choice, but we still have an open mind and an open toilet.  :D

You were pretty lucky you didn't have problems with Thetford TP.  Thetford products are not welcome in our coach.  We use Scotts single ply and have done so for a few years now. Angel Soft is also good last I knew.  IMHO it is a very good idea to perform the TP test occasionally since the makeup can change.  Chemin use to be very good but then they tried to improve it or something and it went bad.

Ron said:
You were pretty lucky you didn't have problems with Thetford TP.  Thetford products are not welcome in our coach. 

Ron

There are products you should take another look at occasionally. For example, Thetford sells 2 TP products, a 1 ply and a "soft" 2 ply. We used the 1 ply for many years and had good results with it. As a matter of fact it was rated as high as Northern Quilted in the TP test. We stopped using it a couple of years ago when the formula was changed. Thetford may have gone back to the original formula. If so, it is an excellent product that won't clog your holding tank. On the other hand, the 2 ply was always a disaster.

There are products you should take another look at occasionally.

IMHO Thetford is not one of them.  I question the integrity of a company that tries to sell me a product  that will preserve the contents of my black water tank and a product that may clog my system.  Thetford sells products containing formaldehyde, which is an excellent preservative, to add to the BWT and they sell TP that dose not break down well that will likely clog the system. I have no desire or do I see the need to preserve the contents of a BWT nor do I see any need to use a product that may or may not clog the BWT system. 

I know that companies change their products from time to time but a company that markets products for RV/s should have run tests to determine it performance in the RV application before releasing it to the RVers.  When I tested Thetford several years ago it failed the TP test probably worse than anything I have subjected to the test.  That is not to say that 6 months later it wouldn't pass.  I suspect the inconsistency may be due to their getting their product from the lowest bidder and could care less on its performance.

Like I said before Thetford products are NOT welcome in our coach.

I find myself completely agreeing with Wendy. 

The whole subject of overnight camping at WalMart is way overblown IMO.  Some people just seem compelled to campaign against overnight stays at WM.  When we are on the go, nothing beats a stay at a WM (for us anyway), where we don't have to hook up, check in, etc.  Plenty of good restaurants and nice retail stores nearby (not many campgrounds can say that) and just perfect for the family in transit.  Also top notch security and safety which I have not always found at campgrounds late at night.

One can pull put in the morning in seconds for the next leg of the long trip.  And I have never, in 3 years of RVing, ever seen abuse of WM overnight privileges.  Oh how I get tired of the anti WM crusade.  The camp ground owners have a great lobby going.  :D  I say this as someone who spend more than $4k a year at campgrounds.

Some people just seem compelled to campaign against overnight stays at WM.

Smoky, I fully respect your WM perspective, gained from many nights in WM parking lots. Personally, I won't stay there for reasons/concerns I've quoted in prior discussions. But this should not be misinterpreted as an anti-WM campaign or crusade. (No, I didn't think you were referring specifically to me. But, since I had to weigh in with my "not for me" comment, I wanted to make sure folks don't inadvertently associate me with the anti-WM campaigns).

Folks have to make their own minds up, but that doesn't mean that my concerns aren't very real to me even if others think they're overblown.

Aye Tom, I think we are in agreement as we both seem to be saying it is a personal choice whether or not to stop overnight at retail locations.  My overblown comment as you suspected is not aimed here but aimed at both the campground owners and the Internet in general.  I wish folks would just let the WM lovers go on loving WM unless, of course, they misbehave.  :D

Smoky, when we stayed in Tucson several years ago the Walmart near I 19 encouraged RV'ers to stay there for several weeks at a time and these people would get out their grills, chairs, awnings, etc. and someone even emptied their gray water on the parking lot and they had to close that part of the parking lot.? The next year there was no RV parking at that Walmart.? This was the winter after 911 and the campgrounds were not full, not even close.? We have stayed at a Walmart about 3 or 4 times in nine years and only over night.  We do not care to since we stop early in the afternoon and I prefer not to spend the afternoon in a parking lot.

Lorna said:
We do not care to since we stop early in the afternoon and I prefer not to spend the afternoon in a parking lot.

That's a good point Lorna and one I haven't seen mentioned in our prior discussions on this subject. I don't stay at WM for a different reason, but yours just got added to my list of "why not WM". Doesn't mean we don't shop at WM. OTOH I made a comment to Chris just yesterday that went something like "WalMart is going the way of KMart"; A number of WM stores I've been in over the last year or so look more like a big rummage sale. That and the apathy of staff contributed to a loss of customers for KMart.

Tom,  I had not been in a KMart in a very long time for the very reasons you stated, but saw a buy one, get one half off ad for toys in the newpaper.  With the granddaughter in mind, I thought why not check it out?  Drove to one in a neighboring town and was pleasantly surprised to find that the store had just been completely renovated and looked more like a Sears store. It was nice and clean, well organized. Guess the combining of their two companies is making a difference.  Just have to see if it lasts, or reverts back to the way it was.  Kay

Kay

Yes, KMart changed significantly after they nearly went belly up and brought in a new CEO to revive the company some years ago. At one time I seriously considered writing to their chairman offering my services to shake 'em up, but figured my lack of retail experience would be an issue. I just felt at that time that almost anyone could do a better job of running the company.

My "going the way of KMart" comment in my prior message was a reference to KMart in those prior times. As you correctly say, their stores look much better now and their staff appear to be motivated to care about their customers.

Tom,

Your lack of retail experience might have been a benefit for KMart....certainly couldn't have hurt them ! The closest one to us is one of the most profitable KMarts in the country and it still looks like a second-hand store/dump. I wouldn't set foot in the place if I wasn't doing merchandising jobs there. The WalMarts, on the other hand, are neat and tidy with friendly, helpful employees. I know this varies in other parts of the country but that's the way it is here in the Four Corners. Just don't try to spend the night in the parking lot of the Cortez WalMart (but you can stay in the Farmington, New Mexico, parking lot).

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Interesting how things vary across the country. I was in our nearest WM today and, by the time I left, wished I hadn't gone. OTOH I've been in WM stores that are well kept. I haven't yet figured out the common denominator between the "bad" ones.

Tom, I'm guessing that you were in the WalMart on Hammer Lane. It's as real junky place. My experience is that the stores mirror the  neighborhoods, poor neighborhoods, poor stores.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom