Wanting to purchase an RV. Having trouble deciding which one.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes Ford 460. Typo :)

I will check the tires, thanks for that info.

In regard to miles, that makes sense. My initial feeling was that it was high because quite a few that I looked at had way lower mileage. I don't consider 60,000+ too high, it's just that I have seen others with a lot less. This by far was the cleanest MH I have seen in the year range I can afford, so I am pretty confident that the maintenance has been kept up with.

187 said:
I don't consider 60,000+ too high, it's just that I have seen others with a lot less.

Those others (low mileage) are the ones to be careful of, for the reasons mentioned above.  Lots of time sitting.

Our first rig a 93 pinnacle had very low milage and had mostly sat for years, I didn't know any better at the time and we go very lucky.  The generater blew a circuit board durring our initial testting and the water heater also burned a board, other than that and tires it was a serviceable and functional rig.  We put around 6500 miles on that ol gal in the 18 or so months we had her, I think we were very lucky with the tires but we honestly didn't know any better until we were shopping for her replacement.

Jeff

Have you actually taken the MH out and driven it yet? If not, then it sounds like that is all that is left. Get it up to running temp and check the drivetrain out as you would a truck. Make sure it does not have heating problems, power, leaks, etc once you run it through it's paces.
Considering you feel confident about the maint records and the rig is obviously well maintained I agree with others here, get it while you can. That is a great price so you can afford to park it and use it when you have time. It will allow you to get acquainted with Rv'ing in general and see if it suits you & the family. I purch my 1st class A in my thirties and never looked back. Owned it a month and headed across country. Life is short, $10k won't even purchase a couple of Harley's.

I understand why the OP is looking at motorhomes more than trailers.  One advantage to a motorhome, especially with a family, is safety.  You don't have to take the kids and pets into a truck and then reverse the process when you get where you're going.  You can stop at rest stops, truck stops, etc. and not have to worry about anyone getting hurt in a parking lot because everyone stays in the motorhome for pit stops, lunch, whatever.  If one of the kids gets sick, they can rest on the sofa or wherever rather than being driving around all day and being miserable in a truck because there's no space to lie down.  When it's raining you don't have to take everyone in and out so there are fewer wet clothes to hang up and/or dry out.  Motorhomes are good for people who like to move often, perhaps staying one place only a couple of days to see the sites and then move to another place.  I call these people are "travelers."

An advantage to a trailer with a family is that you can take it to a campground and park it for a week while everyone plays.  You still have the truck to run around in.  Trailers are good for people who like to go to one place and stay awhile.  I call these people are "parkers."

Each person who's deciding on an RV to purchase has to look at their intended way of traveling and what is easiest for them.  We're among the travelers and have never looked seriously at trailers because they just don't fit our "style" of traveling.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChrispyjCSLT22
Back
Top Bottom