Warning about Ransomware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been using Carbonite.  I got infected with the Zepto virus.  This virus takes most data files and renames them with random digits, then changes the extension to .zepto.

I called Carbonite and they could replace all my files to a date about three or four days before I was infected.  I lost 3 or 4 days of data, everything else I was able to replace.

I'm just a Carbonite subscriber, but I really feel they saved my tail.  I keep up a clone of my C: drive every month or so and then keep all my data on a F: drive.  I had Carbonite backing up my C:...User folders and the entire F: drive.

Carbonite does everything in the background.  Set it up once and it just does its job.

garyb1st said:
Tom, what's unique about your combination that protects you against these attacks.
Gary - Sorry it took me so long to answer your question, I did not see it until today.

Google monitors web sites and if you try to go to a site that dishes out malware Chrome will give you a large warning before you enter the site. Chromebooks cannot run an executable file so there is no way for a virus to ever inhabit a Chromebook. They don't even make anti-virus for Chromebooks because it would be redundant. Gmail has a built in anti-virus if you use it on any other platform besides a Chromebook.

If there is such a thing as a silver lining to a Ransomware attack it is getting a new laptop that is newer, lighter, and much much faster than the old one.

The older Asus laptop was not that old but the new HP runs circles around it.

Almost worth the hassle of restoring all the old data.

I am amazed at how much better this new one is.

Hopefully those two will do the job then. I think Bitware's stand alone "vaccine" approach is pretty unique though. They basically install a set of small null files that fool the most common malware into thinking it's already installed so it ignores you. Their anti-virus program also has more conventional detection built in.

Gmail in itself is probably the best email as it catches most spam and ransomware, at least I have not had any in years.

But CC are another subject, just got hit again today, it seems as though I get hit just after using a card at a merchant, this is the third time this year on 3 different cards.

PayPal, I have used for years with no problems and is preferred by me for online purchases, can't beat there over $99.00  purchase 6 months same as cash..  of course YMMV.

I've had Ransom Ware buy ads on ad supported web sites.. Thankfully it was first level Ransom ware and there was an easy way to get rid of it which I know and follow (OFF/ON, ignore it, whatever you do DO NOT CLICK a link,, Force power off and then restart, you will get an error message on restart,, Just let it boot (Takes longer than normal as it clears the error code) but not a problem.

Higher levels of Ransom ware that won't work I'm told but I've never proven it.. Got to go turn off an alarm (Clock type) now.

There alarm silenced:  My daughter once handed me a computer "If you can get it working it's yours". Her hubby, who is military trained in this kind of thing, took 2 hours to get just one file off her infected comptuer... Within Minutes I'd figured out what the virus had done, Told the computer to heal itself,  within a half hour I had a CD with all her photos on it and had eliminated the virus from the machine.. What can I say.. I used a couple of "Cryptic Dos Commands' I remembered from my 8088 days.

I've gotten that Ransonware attack 2 or 3 times now where it say it now owns everything on my computer and it won't let you do anything...

all I ever do is a hard shutdown and when my pc reboots my free Avast antivirus eliminates it......easy peasey . 

yes, I'll  defrag it later and always do Windows updates )

SeilerBird said:
Gary - Sorry it took me so long to answer your question, I did not see it until today.

Google monitors web sites and if you try to go to a site that dishes out malware Chrome will give you a large warning before you enter the site. Chromebooks cannot run an executable file so there is no way for a virus to ever inhabit a Chromebook. They don't even make anti-virus for Chromebooks because it would be redundant. Gmail has a built in anti-virus if you use it on any other platform besides a Chromebook.
Thanks Tom,  I get similar messages from my Mac.  Haven't checked into it and don't have any virus software on it but so far over 8 years have not had problems.  So it's possible Mac has a program similar to Chrome.  If we upgrade the laptop, we will definitely consider a Chromebook.  Gmail also also might be a better service.  I've used Yahoo Mail for years but more and more, I find their service lacking. 

Gary

Thanks Bill for posting about the FedEx ransomware scam.  The post is a few months old but I just read it today.  In the last week, I have received 3 of those phony FedEx emails.  In each case the sender address is a red light to not open it plus we have no packages coming in anyway. But now I know what happens if I accidentally open one of those scams.  Makes me more alert.  Thanks again.

Bill

Bill - I don't think you can get hurt merely opening an email, I think you have to download something from it. There used to be a problem with scripts running if you just opened an email but I believe they have been eliminated. However that is why I love my Chromebook. Gmail protects me and the Chromebook protects me. I never worry about viruses or malware.

Never had to do this but our computer guy says to shut 'er down immediately and call him... so I ask, what if you're not available?  LOL... He said, try to start it up again but hit the keys to edit the bios and set it to boot from a CD or USB port where you have stored an "emergency boot file".  Once there, you can restore the files from your backup drive; restore the computer to a time prior to the infection; and, run a malware/AV program to clean the files on the normal drive. 

Hope I never have to do though.  I do the monthly backups to a set of external HDD's that we keep in a fire resistant safe though.

Just last night, my wife clicked on a picture or something and i think three windows popped up on screen, she was on facebook. I don't remember all the particulars but I do remember one of the windows was saying that AVG had caught a virus that was trying to load and that I needed to call AVG at a number and they would tell my how to stop it. Well I reasoned that AVG would not do it that way so did not call. A smaller box popped up telling my that AVG had found something. When I tried to close that box with the X, it would keep coming back.

I thought for a minute and did a c/a/d. Brought up file manager, deleted the file that was running and it closed it. I immediately ran Malewarebytes and it found about 60 hits. Cleared them all and everything seems to be OK. Time will tell. I was due a backup yesterday but didn't do it, thankfully. Now I think I will wait a few days for the backup. On second thought I will Probably buy new memory sticks for this backup and keep the old ones pure. That way I will only loose a month.

Wish I had taken the time to write down all the particulars so it may have helped someone else but I guess i went into panic mode.

SeilerBird said:
Bill - I don't think you can get hurt merely opening an email, I think you have to download something from it. There used to be a problem with scripts running if you just opened an email but I believe they have been eliminated. However that is why I love my Chromebook. Gmail protects me and the Chromebook protects me. I never worry about viruses or malware.

I opened the email but did not open the link in the email.

I get a good chuckle every time a widow pops up saying that Windows Security has detected a problem with my C: drive.

I run Ubuntu Linux. Windows Security won't run on this machine, and there is no C: drive. :D

Once, the operating system popped up a message saying the browser was downloading an *.exe file. It was asking me if I wanted to save it to disk or find a program that would run it. ;)

I use computers every day in my business. I also do my own IT work. I learned years ago that backing up to an external hard drive is absolutely useless if the office catches fire. (Don't ask...  :( )

Now, all of my computers (9 at the office office, home, motor home and laptop) automatically back up every night to an off-site location called idrive.com. All the machines do an incremental backup every night around 2 am. The cost? $50 a year per machine.

If you set up to use idrive (or Carbonite...same thing) your FIRST backup run may take several days because you'll be uploading every file on your computer to idrive. However, after that first backup has run, subsequent backups will take only a few minutes each night. Idrive scans your computer for new and changed files and only uploads them.

I have my machines set to automatically back up every night. Those backups have saved my butt three times when hard drives failed. I replaced the failed drive, logged into idrive and download. An hour or so later, it's like it never happened.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timothious
Back
Top Bottom