Was looking at a Chevy Tahoe, and small TT, but look at the gas prices!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcb

We were considering a small TT, something in the 20' or less- 4,000GVW or less, and from my research, it looked like we would need a Chevy Tahoe to tow it safely and comfortably (we want an SUV over a Truck). Vehicles like the 2011 Explorer or Traverse just won't cut it.

Now with all the talk about gas going to $4+, I'm rethinking this!

Maybe we need to look at one of the ultra light TT's and then maybe something the Explorer or Traverse would work. My wife and I are in out late 50's, and it's just and our yellow lab, so don't really need anything too fancy.

Anyone elsethinking about the price of gas, and how to get the most efficient set up?

Thank you

I'm going with my 9 - 10 MPG.  Maybe not as often or as far but I'm not going to let the price of gas stifle my enjoyment of rving.  Now...If it would get just a little warmer and quit snowing.

Having owned a Trailblazer and a Tahoe IMHO the Tahoe is far better all around vehicle.  Fuel economy is nearly identical at the end of the week and the added room of the bigger vehicle is far more pleasant experience.

I say if you can afford a new rig you can afford the fuel. If you can't afford the fuel you can't afford the rig. Except in my case of course HAHA, I can't afford the fuel or the rig, but you can't put a price on my childrens memories.

You may want to look at some pop-ups or the teardrop trailers. Weight is not the only factor, you have to drag that box through the air. Do your research and make sure that you get a tow vehicle that can handle towing long term. What you save in fuel may cost you in repairs, plus who wants to be stuck somewhere? We are in our mid-fifties and at the end of the day we do not want to play with beds. Fuel cost is just a small part of the RV lifestyle/hobby. You may just want to airplane/drive, hotel/motel, restaurant it until fuel goes back down.

The current fuel price is not scaring me off, it's simply what they calling for in the summer. Still won't stop us.

Since you know it's coming save up now. Then you won't feel the impact.
J

glockholiday said:
..... Except in my case of course HAHA, I can't afford the fuel or the rig, but you can't put a price on my childrens memories.

Hey, I resemble that remark!  Seriously.... I went through the same exercise when we first started, while I can't actually say I "regret" any of the units or TV's due to the memories they provided... I do wish our current set-up could have been achieved sooner, there was well to much "white knuckle" experience while travelling the interstates. 

Gas has been high and it has been low.  Well, it has been lower.  And whatever it is, it may change and get better or even worse.  Having an RV sitting in the driveway enables us to take vacations based on the amount of gas money we have available.  We have had some outstanding vacations in a national forest about 50 miles from home.  Two or three weeks there for about $30-$40 worth of gas.  And if gas is cheaper next year, we might go further.

After making a trip from Nebraska to  South Caroliana in a car and staying in $75.00+ motels (we looked at $35.00 motels, most of them should be condemned.) I will pay the price for our RV. We have planned a 14 day trip to go to Louisiana, even if the gas is $5.00. We don't  have any other expensive hobbies other than our RV. Other good thing about RV ing is that I all ways know where my truck is parked, and I don't have to haul baggage up and down stairs, I know who slept in my bed, I could go on and on.

A friend of mine asked why I would tow a TT and get 10 MPG when I could stay in a hotel and get at double or triple the MPG. If we stay in a hotel we still need to eat. Even if breakfast is free in the hotel, feeding the 4 of us (both kids are swimmers and eat a lot) gets expensive fast. With the TT we eat most meals there and it's no more expensive than when we eat at home.  Even when towing, the Expedition is very comfortable for the 4 of us and the dog to travel in. If we stay in hotels we need to board the dog (more $). Plus they get upset at hotels when you try to build a campfire. When all is said and done the fuel cost is a small part of the whole trip. Plus I would not trade the fun/friends/adventures we've had for any hotel room.

A couple of years ago we went to Maine for two weeks. My brother spent more for cigarettes for a month than we spent for gas for about 1500 miles of vacation.

DF5.4 said:
......Plus I would not trade the fun/friends/adventures we've had for any hotel room.

2 funny!  I would echo your post, I think we are a closer family cause of the RV.  I go through the "Hotel" thing with my neighbour all the time...

DF5.4 said:
A friend of mine asked why I would tow a TT and get 10 MPG when I could stay in a hotel and get at double or triple the MPG. If we stay in a hotel we still need to eat. Even if breakfast is free in the hotel, feeding the 4 of us (both kids are swimmers and eat a lot) gets expensive fast. With the TT we eat most meals there and it's no more expensive than when we eat at home.  Even when towing, the Expedition is very comfortable for the 4 of us and the dog to travel in. If we stay in hotels we need to board the dog (more $). Plus they get upset at hotels when you try to build a campfire. When all is said and done the fuel cost is a small part of the whole trip. Plus I would not trade the fun/friends/adventures we've had for any hotel room.

A couple of years ago we went to Maine for two weeks. My brother spent more for cigarettes for a month than we spent for gas for about 1500 miles of vacation.

We have camped since our kids were young & now we have 2 more grandkids to treat to the camping experience! We have done things even when fuel costs were higher than they are now that we could not have afforded if we had to use hotels & restaurants. I agree with everything written in the above quote. I have done spreadsheets showing the complete cost of a one & two week vacation using hotels or using campgrounds for four of us.  They have always shown how much we saved or how much more we had to spend on pleasure, using our camper.

You won't meet as many people - I mean really meet them - as you will in a campground! I have yet to go to a campground where the kids or now our grandkids haven't made friends with others in the time it took us to set up! Ask our oldest grandson who spent time with me in a hotel when I was on an extended business trip which he would prefer to do. When the novelty of the hotel wore off after about 2 days, he asked when our next camping trip was because it was so much more fun.

Here's to a great camping experience!
Vic

:( I don't like bed bugs and the report on the NBC news show was not a Joke. I have a skin condition called ecxema. The tear drops are a good way to go, but make sure you don't have a hankering for a lot of space. I know a couple who bought a Casita TT and are pleased and some are not pleased with a 30 footer. Do your home work, you may all ready have a tow vehicle. Some go with pop-ups tent trailers but the canvas needs to be taken care of or replaced in a few short years. I don't know if Hi-Lo is still made, but that company was around in the 1970's and you can get about any size and they are nice and tow easy. Irover

People are just panicking right now - There is no reason gas will go to $4/gallon

Gas should not be a factor for you pulling something so small.  It won't make a difference...

But now is the time to be asking these questions.

???

jeverden said:
People are just panicking right now - There is no reason gas will go to $4/gallon

Gas should not be a factor for you pulling something so small.  It won't make a difference...

But now is the time to be asking these questions.

???

The only reason they are saying $4 is the Speculators.
They are 90% of the reason for gas price rising.  They need to get Oil OFF the speculators market.

That being said this is my joy to do in the spring/summer and Ill pay to play.

Well, hang on folks.  Diesel just went to $4.17 a gallon here in my state.  We are planning on going to Alaska this year, total mileage over 9,000 miles; I'm sure we will pay much more than $4.00/gallon.  :-\

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Well, hang on folks.  Diesel just went to $4.17 a gallon here in my state.  We are planning on going to Alaska this year, total mileage over 9,000 miles; I'm sure we will pay much more than $4.00/gallon.  :-\

Marsha~
I second that. Why is Diesel .50 more per gallon than Gasoline? And i feel sorry for the big rig drivers. The diesel price at the truck stops are sometimes .30 per gallon more than off the beaten path. There really is price gouging going on right now.

Peanutman said:
I second that. Why is Diesel .50 more per gallon than Gasoline? And i feel sorry for the big rig drivers. The diesel price at the truck stops are sometimes .30 per gallon more than off the beaten path. There really is price gouging going on right now.

It costs more because 1) it contains 40% more BTU's and that's what we are buying to do the work. So, $3 gasoline has an equivalent energy value in diesel of $4.20; so enjoy the lower differential while you can  2) It has an even higher market value in Europe based on the lack of refining capacity there and government subsidies for diesel cars thus USA refiners are shipping some of their production to Europe raising a scarcity factor and subsequent increased market value here. 

Many companies are designing ultralight and more aerodynamic models that will cut down on the cost. I guess I would chime in like the others that really you are just going to spend money, and you will have to decide what is important. There is only one shot at this rodeo and when this day is over it is never to return, sitting on the sidelines and regretting not going is worse than the gas costs....gas will go up and down the time you wait will never be returnable and no one can take those memories from you.

Back
Top Bottom