Was quoted $1,320 for a detail on my motorhome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrontrangeRVer

I had left messages for a local auto detailer to call me back for a quote on a detail on my 36' Class A motorhome. When he did call back, he went into "detail" about his "3 step" process and how he was higher than most, but WELL WORTH IT as they were "trained" in California. 

After him talking for several minutes, he finally said "we charge $15/linear foot. Ok...so my thoughts were 36' x $15 = $540. BUT he then asked how wide my motorhome was....I said...um...maybe 8 foot or so...SO he starts saying 8 feet front and back = 16 feet, and then he says 36 feet long TIMES TWO = 72 feet..."So that's 88 feet X $15 = $1,320 for a detail on my motorhome...and he would "throw in a roof WASH".

Can you guys believe this?  :eek:

My local Mr. Car Wash will wash and wax my 38 footer (and most others) for $300.  Takes 6 guys about 2 hours.  Includes the roof, the tires and wheels too.  They will use thier own wax or mine but no discount for bringing your own wax.  I usually bring 2 bottles of NuFinish.  They use up one and a little on mine.

Very creative! And no doubt profitable too, if he can suck someone in at that price.

Actually, that's the way they measure windows for pricing purposes - unit inches, they call it.  Supposedly it reflects the total size better.  A window that measures 12 x24 comes out the same price as one that measures 6 x 48 because the length + width x 2 is the same.  Guess these would be unit feet instead of inches, but the principle is the same..

12 man/hours for $300.00.  Works out to $25.00 per hour.

Now divided by 6 people makes $4.17 per hour.  I suppose the carwash business also wants a profit.

Can't figure out how that can be done while still expecting a super job. 

carson FL

Carson, you might want to review that calculation.  The man hours already accounts for the 6 men, so the hourly rate is $25/hour/man.

OMIGAD, Ned. Now I see why i flunked Math in Kindergarten.  ;D

If I had posted this tomorrow, I would simply declare it as April Fools.
Now I'll just go  away embarrassed  :-[ and thank you for the correction.

carson

Carson, that's what you get for $4.17/hour :)

FrontrangeRVer said:
When he did call back, he went into "detail" about his "3 step" process and how he was higher than most, but WELL WORTH IT as they were "trained" in California. 
  "Trained in California" means they used to be gardeners until the economy tanked and they were forced to market their skills in Colorado. They use the same formula in CA. for estimating grass cutting charges.
  The fact that they would 'throw in a free roof wash' seems to indicate they also trimmed trees in their former occupation.

Mark,

If you are close to Garden Grove CA, check with Pacfic RV as Accent Stripes do the detail work for them.  They did mine2 years ago, de-oxidize, wash and wax for $600.  They worked on it for almost 2 days with as many as 3  people at times. 

Gee, I'm surprised he didn't ask you how high it was and use that in his calculations, too!  A gen-u-ine rippoff artist it seems.

ArdraF

Several of us had wash/wax done here at Happy Trails this month  including washing roof, tires, etc for 199.00 by two very hard working detailers who have only spoken English all their lives.

The difference would almost pay for the trip down here. ;D

I have a guy who does mine, wash and wax, for free.  It generally takes him about three hours to wash the MH and another two days to wax it.  He does a great job and the price is right.

sheltie said:
I have a guy who does mine, wash and wax, for free.  It generally takes him about three hours to wash the MH and another two days to wax it.  He does a great job and the price is right.

Are you ever going to give him his incriminating photos back? LOL.

We've decided just to give the work to someone who's been out of a job for awhile.  Lots of folks out there who know how to do the job and will do so for $200.

And here I thought I had been ripped off when I payed a guy to come to my home to wash, polish and wax my 28 footer for $160. He also took two days to complete the task (in south texas summer). :-[

DaveB said:
Are you ever going to give him his incriminating photos back? LOL.

Heck no!  Of course at my age, I get tired more quickly than I used to. 

There's a guy at The Great Outdoors in Titusville, FL that details coaches. I'm not positive but I think a 40' coach would be approximately $450. This also includes detailing the toad!!! He's always busy.

I still am shocked....it's not that I live near a small town....

I'm just looking for an Exterior Wash and Wax from someone in Colorado Springs, CO.  When I was quoted $15/foot....I had no idea he would run a tape measure AROUND the whole motorhome and come up with 88 feet!!  ;)

Another example:  I am scheduled next Tuesday to get my 39' motorhome washed and waxed for $8.00 per foot (39 x 8 = $312).  Where:  Oasis RV Resort - Las Vegas;  By whom:  Red Rock RV Detailing;  Prior Experience:  this will be the fifth (5th) year in a row to have this done in April and they always do an excellent job.

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
Portland, Oregon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gators70
Back
Top Bottom