Wash DC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

Any suggestions for the Washington, DC area? RV parks an such? A good RV park that RenoBoy Doggy will be happy with?

Or is it a good area to avoid because of crime and such?

One thing we would like to see is the Smithsonian. But is it worth the hassle?

We're just RVing around the east coast of the US and some Canada too. We were in Toronto last week. Don't really care where we're going, so we could skip DC if it's too much hassle.

We visited the Gettysburg battlefields yesterday. What else is worth visiting out here in the northeast? Or even southeast? We will be headed south, with no firm plans, as usual, when we go RVing.

-Don- (now in Western Village  RV Park,<very nice RV Park> Carlisle, PA)

We were in Charleston earlier in the summer and stayed at the james island county rv park and it was great.  Loved Charleston.  After that we went to Hunting Island, SC which was right on the beach and fabulous! Although I haven't been in several years, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia is one of my all-time favorite places.  And we really LOVE Washington, DC!  Have not been there in our RV but the Cherry Hill RV park (I think that's the name) is supposed to be great.  We plan to stay there when we get back that direction.  I could go to DC tons of times and not ever be bored.  I think you should not miss the chance to go, especially since you have no schedule and can spend a bit of time there exploring.  Enjoy!!!

If you are already in Gettysburg it would be a shame to miss the Smithsonian, there is so much there that  you could spend weeks and not see it all.  But  you don't want to drive in, we are in Frederick and it's about 30 minutes to the metro then 30 minutes on the metro to the Smithsonian, the metro is the way to go.  If you like doing the battlefields, Antietam National Battlefield is nice and Harpers Ferry is a lot of fun, beautiful area.  From there you are only 1 hour from Shenandoah National Park.  Colors aren't peaking yet but still pretty and good chance of seeing bear and definitely deer.  Or you could go east, you are only 3 hours from Ocean City and Assateague National Park.  Hope that helps.

Cheryl

Many RVers who want to see DC stay here: http://cherryhillpark.com/index.cfm because you can catch the Metro (subway) easily.  The Metro is the ONLY way you will want to go into DC; driving and parking are insane and expensive.  There are some interesting things to see outside the city, however, including Mt. Vernon and the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum Annex at Dulles Airport.

Another place to stay is the Fairfax County RV Park in Restion VA.  The park sites have electrical and water only with a dump station at the bath house.  Its considerably cheaper than other parks.  Very clean and dog friendly.

The Orange lines is a short drive away.  Using the Metro to get downtown is the only way to go.  The Silver line was not opened the last time I was there but they may have opened it now and it is much closer than the Orange line to the park.

As to what to see it depends on your intrests are. As a point the Smithsonian has several buildings on the mall and one at Dulles.  So you need to plan where you are going.

A good way to get around on the mall is to get a pass on the open topped buses that make a circuit of the mall.  The pass allows you to get on and off the bus.  This really shortens your walking time.

Many RVers who want to see DC stay here: http://cherryhillpark.com/index.cfm because you can catch the Metrmsubway) easily.  The Metro is the ONLY way you will want to go into DC; driving and parking are insane and expensive.  There are some interesting things to see outside the city, however, including Mt. Vernon and the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum Annex at Dulles Airport."
Is the Metro within walking distance of the RV park?

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Looks like we will head for CherryHill Park in the morning.

-Don- Carlisle, PA

The metro bus lines stop in the park but there is a time limit at night when they stop running, They also have a private tour bus company that does tours of downtown DC leaving from the park. We did a  DC Monuments By Night tour that was very good.

Daughter lives in DC, we'll be there next week.  The Smithsonian is several buildings around the Mall.  Should be a quieter time of year, but plan on getting there early as lines can be long just to get into some of them.  Go to the more popular ones early and then visit the others later in the day.  The Mint tour is usually hard to get into so plan on an early start if you want to see it.  In any case, it is an awesome place to visit.  I hope we don't have a Federal shut down as they may all be closed then.

We have been planning a trip there and are looking at a federal park called Greenbelt National Park in Greenbelt MD. No hookups, but it is cheap.

halfwright said:
We have been planning a trip there and are looking at a federal park called Greenbelt National Park in Greenbelt MD. No hookups, but it is cheap.

Not to be picky; it is a park administered by the NPS, but it is not a "national park" in the formal sense.  Don't expect any scenic wonders!  ;D

Try to see:
Smithsonian several buildings
The changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetery
JFK's eternal flame
The WWII Memorial
Korean War Memorial I
Iwo Jima Memorial
The Vietnam Wall
The Spy museum
The Newseum
Native American Museum
Air & Space Museum
National Gallery of Art
Archives
Lincoln and Jefferson's monument
Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah, you can enter at Front Royal or Luray
The Luray Caverns

If there is a goverment shutdown, you might as well continue heading south. All buildings mentioned will be closed.  However on the brite side, the traffic will be light..........

I know what you are thinking, just don't go there! 

Out son works in northern Virginia, Major in Air Force, he was told he will not get paid till this is worked out...THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!

cva61 said:
Another place to stay is the Fairfax County RV Park in Restion VA.  The park sites have electrical and water only with a dump station at the bath house.  Its considerably cheaper than other parks.  Very clean and dog friendly.
I  sure am glad you mentioned this campsite.

As you can see we're there now. On the way here, we first did a stop at here. And then we went to Cherry Hill RV Park and looked at it and what a crowded dump, in our opinions! Looked like mostly concrete and very crowded for this time of year. We wouldn't  stay there if they paid us double the $61.00 they charge to stay for a night!  We like RV camps like this one in Reston, VA that seems like you're out in the boonies a bit, even if they don't have as much to offer as Cherry Hill otherwise.

It looks like the government could shut down, so that's even another reason not to stay at Cherry Hill.

We got here late, but we like it here at Reston, especially RenoBoy doggy!

-Don-  Reston, VA

We have been in Reston in the summer.  They do have a small water park called the Water Mine and peddle boats to rent.

Near buy is the Reston Zoo.  It is really a large petting Zoo.  Not as many animals but you get up-close and personal with them.

I do agree the setting for the park is very nice.

Lake Fairfax may be cheaper and nicer than Cherry Hill, but even with a senior discount it looks as if it would be $40/night for a site with electric only.  I realize that the DC area is expensive but you still will need to drive and pay to park at a Metro station in order to go into DC.  Of course, with all the museums closed there's probably not much to do there, anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom